Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
iStigPL said:
I think Apple is waiting for Ivy and will not use Sandy Bridge-E - if they wanted to use them it probably would have supported so they can test them.

Yep I think you may be right. IB however has been delayed yet again, or so I read. The problem is the X79 and 2011 chipset I think once the 2011 socket is supported both SBE or IB will work.

MacMend said:
JasonVP, any news on the Gygabyte build?

Either it's too sensitive to the RAM I purchased, or the motherboard itself is DOA. But I can't get it to POST into the BIOS setup screen at all. It refuses to respond to keyboard input.

I made the mistake of purchasing RAM that wasn't on Gigabyte's "verified" list, so that may be the problem. I have replacement RAM incoming, but I won't have it until Monday. If it's not the RAM, then I'll need to get an RMA for the motherboard, unfortunately.

iStigPL said:
I think Apple is waiting for Ivy and will not use Sandy Bridge-E - if they wanted to use them it probably would have supported so they can test them.

I'm nearly 100% certain that Apple will update the Mac Pros with the SB-E Xeons when Intel finally releases them. They're not going to wait (further) for the Ivy Bridge chips.

Just built a 3930k set up, with an ssd and it is fast! Currently running windows, not to stoked on that. Can't wait for all you smart guys to make osx work on the lga 2011.

jasonvp said:
MacMend said:
JasonVP, any news on the Gygabyte build?

Either it's too sensitive to the RAM I purchased, or the motherboard itself is DOA. But I can't get it to POST into the BIOS setup screen at all. It refuses to respond to keyboard input.

I made the mistake of purchasing RAM that wasn't on Gigabyte's "verified" list, so that may be the problem. I have replacement RAM incoming, but I won't have it until Monday. If it's not the RAM, then I'll need to get an RMA for the motherboard, unfortunately.

Must be frustrating. Hope the RAM solves the problem.

I just upgraded from a 2600k to a 3930k on a P9X79 Deluxe and booted into my previous installation of 10.6.8 where I'm making this post from :) The realtek ethernet is working but not the intel. Bluetooth is working. Video (GTX460) is working. Internal Card Reader is working. USB 2.0 working. No USB 3.0. No Audio. No Wifi.

x79_1.jpg

x79_2.jpg

x79_3.jpg

x79_4.jpg

that is intresting... so don't you have to set any flag ?

Sick!

Question: Can you show the CPU Load window in Activity Monitor? OR some other way of demonstrating whether OS X can hit 12 threads (12 logical cores, 6 physical cores) at this point as opposed to just 6?

Oh, and a Geekbench/Cinebench run would be beautiful!

dark_ata said:
:clap: :clap: hello can you test to see how many points given in Geekbench? I've been looking all day if anyone has installed SN or Lion in a x79. thanks

HT Off
Geekbench score 13194.

Cinebench OpenGL 33.97 fps / CPU 8.58 pts

HT On
Geekbench 14208

Cinebench OpenGL 27.29 / CPU 9.19 pts

iStigPL said:
that is intresting... so don't you have to set any flag ?

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm very new to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back