Nvidia Geforce GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hello all im itching for an upgrade already has anyone attempted this yet if so please post results...

cpu

intel i7 3930K LGA 2011 Boxed Processor

motherboard

ASUS P9X79 PRO Socket 2011 X79 ATX Intel Motherboard (or the deluxe model)

crazy expensive!!! but i don't care whooo hooo :crazy:

:rolleyes:

Simple answer: NO!

Is there any kext or DSDT for the motherboard or is there any experience with it?
If you want to experiment with this just do it, but who is that idiot who buy something with any experience?

Mate94 said:
:rolleyes:

Simple answer: NO!

Is there any kext or DSDT for the motherboard or is there any experience with it?
If you want to experiment with this just do it, but who is that idiot who buy something with any experience?

Professor...you sound angry....please take some more time to read my question, purhaps get someone who reads and understands english before making such a idiotic remark..to sudgest i don't have experience with this work is absoulutly preposterous..Futhermore i would never use DSDT's.... DSDT's in my opinion aren't a good way to gauge if a motherboard is compatible or not ... im mearly asking if someone already has made the leap and purchased and had experience with these products...pretty please with suger on top don't be an arogant person on this forum you may not like what someone will write back... :shh:

magestrate said:
im mearly asking if someone already has made the leap and purchased and had experience with these products...

It doesn't look like it. I asked a similar question and received similar answers; it appears no one wants to risk spending a bunch of cash and end up with a system that can't yet boot Lion.

I've been pondering this and wondering if it might just work anyway. Here's my thought process:
- Sandy Bridge chips and motherboards work as is evident by all the builds discussed here and other places.
- Question: how hugely different are Sandy Bridge-E chips from non-E chips, besides the pin-outs? Sure they have a different Northbridge, but it isn't clear in looking through BSD's kernel that the NB matters.
- When the new Xeons are shipped by Intel next Spring, it's highly likely we'll see new Mac Pros from Apple built with them. That means the LGA2011 pin-out chips will be supported by then. Will Apple drop another version of Lion for that? Or are the guts already in place?

I'm half-tempted to just try it, but I don't like the idea of having an approximate $1600 machine that I can't use until Spring.

Don't think the few days these chips have been out is long enough-- notably given the lack of a MP running them/Xeon versions-- for someone to have tried this.

That said, I surely expect these chips will be fully supported once a MP ships with them. They may even work before that if some enterprising folks here or elsewhere start mucking around...

Hell, I'm counting on it. My ~4 ghz i7-950, 12 GB Hackintosh is still a beast-- but I'm eyeing the 3930K (@ 4.5 to 5 Ghz), AMD 69xx/7xxx, 24 or 32 GB RAM as my next upgrade cycle components. Spring/summer arrival is fine; gives me time to save cash.

good luck with your build! i'm really curious how it will work at this point. main concern - compatibility w/ snow leopard - maybe there will be 10.6.9 with support for sandy bridge-e. anyway, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread..

cheer!

cine.

expensive for many working or not. that said i think chances are very good that it will work. after all it's Intel, they set the trend. what Intel does everyone follows.

now getting the board to work will be a different story.

so who is going to be the first?

good luck :thumbup:

I was considering the ASUS P9X79 PRO as well. However, from what I have seen around the Tonymacx86 forums it seems Gigabyte boards are much more popular. I personal think the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 would be a better bet since I consider this to be a betting man's game at this point,......

Still I think the ASUS P9X79 Pro (and other ASUS boards) have a better feature set,..

Octavean said:
Still I think the ASUS P9X79 Pro (and other ASUS boards) have a better feature set,..

I like the fact that the ASUS boards have 8 DIMM slots vs the 4 on the Gigabyte motherboard. That and they seem to have better cooling options than Gigabyte does as well. My understanding though is that ASUS uses the VIA USB 3 controller. According to what I've read here, VIA USB 3 controllers aren't supported under OS X. So you'd end up with all of those nice USB 3 ports on your motherboard that you couldn't use.

Thank you everyone for the responses.. .. i will see if i could get the bread together and make a purchase.. my thought process is the same as most of you... its an intel sandy bridge processor so why not? so if the mother board has this (Audio: Integrated Realtek ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC )and
(LAN: Integrated Intel 82579 Gigabit Ethernet controller ) i should be in business....I hope...

i'll let everyone know soon that is if i can scrap the money together :problem:

the mother board I'm looking at has this for audio and lan

Audio System Realtek ALC898
Audio Channels 8-Channel

LAN Chipset Intel 82579V

curious... any help on these devices would be fantastic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back