Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
there were many TSC synchro errors - that is why i used CPUS=1. Without that flag I wasn't able to boot. That's why I also tried voodooTSC kext with modified plist (number of cpu) - booting was ok, but computer was so slow I was not able to move cursor...
Only with CPUS=1 there were no problems with booting and working, but as you noticed there is only one core used...

iStigPL said:
Only with CPUS=1 there were no problems with booting and working, but as you noticed there is only one core used...

Shouldn't be 1 core, but 1 processor. You should still have all 6 real (12 virtual) cores available. As I understand it, the CPUS= flag tells OS X about the processor count, not the core count. There's a big difference. :)

How can you tell you only have 1 core running?

no, cpus=1 forces the system to only use a single CPU core.
You can run eg geekbench which tells you how many cores you have.

iStigPL said:
no, cpus=1 forces the system to only use a single CPU core.

Have you tried forcing it to cpus=12? Or cpus=6?

no, but you can try ;-)
as I saw there is no problem with detecting cores, but with TSC sync - you will see.

I am waiting for native support, now it is useless. I'm curious how will your graphics card work - I was not able to get full res...

as usual with Gigabyte you will have more problems... Current MSI & Asus motherboards using UEFI are much more like Apple products - ACPI tables are similar so you don't have to modify them by using your custom DSDT. I also started with Gigabyte, but when I understand how all this works I'll not choose Gigabyte again...
Imagine I'm using 100% vanilla Lion retail... no single file was patched.

Ok Thank's for the info. That is good to hear.
The MSI boards look good and have a nice price. I am currently using my Hackintosh as a DAW in my studio, and it has been pretty stable. My interest in moving to the new X79 platform is because I need to upgrade my processor (i7 920) to an unlocked preferably 6 core but the 980x and 990x continue expensive and are a EOL product. The 2011 would mean a bit more investment but better performance and be future-proof.

As I understand you are now waiting on the new X79 chipset to be adopted by Apple on MacPro's or iMacs in 2012?

MacMend said:
Ok Thank's for the info. That is good to hear.
The MSI boards look good and have a nice price. I am currently using my Hackintosh as a DAW in my studio, and it has been pretty stable. My interest in moving to the new X79 platform is because I need to upgrade my processor (i7 920) to an unlocked preferably 6 core but the 980x and 990x continue expensive and are a EOL product. The 2011 would mean a bit more investment but better performance and be future-proof.

As I understand you are now waiting on the new X79 chipset to be adopted by Apple on MacPro's or iMacs in 2012?

iMac's will have Ivy Bridge processors, so your only hope are the Mac Pros.

I think Apple is waiting for Ivy and will not use Sandy Bridge-E - if they wanted to use them it probably would have supported so they can test them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back