Contribute
Register

I Keep getting Unknown CPU warnings and am unable to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed the bios options listed in the link and I was able to display from the graphics card but the graphics are even worse than before. The bios even shows up pixelated! I am still unable to boot without -x and I am still getting the same error message when i boot with -v.

I followed the bios options listed in the link and I was able to display from the graphics card but the graphics are even worse than before. The bios even shows up pixelated! I am still unable to boot without -x and I am still getting the same error message when i boot with -v.

If the BIOS is showing up pixelated then something is really wrong somewhere - which kind of possibly explains why you are having so much difficulty. The BIOS should work with any video connection without issue

I assume that your i5-4670K is running stock, are CPU temps looking OK in BIOS? The UEFI/BIOS is at least at F6 or above. Does this hardware run Windows of Linux OK?

If so then I can only suggest trying a different graphics card/monitor or both to try and isolate those components.

Good luck:thumbup:

The cpu is working fine without any crazy temperatures. I am able to boot into windows but still the graphics are messed up. I believe you might be right and there might be a hardware issue. My guess is the GPU which luckily isn't too expensive to replace. If you have any ideas as to what els the problem is or any recommendations as to what graphics cards are comparable with my mb, let me know.

The cpu is working fine without any crazy temperatures. I am able to boot into windows but still the graphics are messed up. I believe you might be right and there might be a hardware issue. My guess is the GPU which luckily isn't too expensive to replace. If you have any ideas as to what els the problem is or any recommendations as to what graphics cards are comparable with my mb, let me know.

If you are able to check your GT640 in another desktop computer for the purpose of isolating the GPU from the mainboard on your build. If the GPU is faulty on other hardware then it points to a replacement solving your problem.

If you need to use the 15 pin d-sub then options are getting scarce. Look for a cheap GT210 (needs GraphicsEnabler=Yes initially at boot.) a GT610 would be another budget solution.

For better quality options without a VGA port the new GT 740 with DDR3 RAM is the same spec as your GT 640. The GT740 with DDR5 is better. See buyers guide for options
http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-july-2015.html#Graphics_Cards

This list will help you determine how different models of cards compare with each other.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-right-now-hierarchy-chart-toms-hardware.html

For better performance the GTX 750, GTX 750Ti and nVidia 9** series models will work but also require additional nVidia drivers installed as at present Apple is not using this series of cards in any Apple product. Note that the EVGA and Gigabyte options are best supported. Some Asus cards are problematic and not listed.

To give you an idea of other natively supported cards look at the links on this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...older-versions-os-x-using-older-chipsets.html

The 10.7.5+ guide is the most recent and will give you a wide range of nVidia 6** and 7** working models. These are getting quite rare now and many may now not be available as a brand new product.

Thank you for your recommendations!
I chose the EVGA GTX 750 SC but before I get it I wanted to make sure that my computer isn't a lost cause. After I removed my old GPU I switched to intel integrated graphics and now my bios and windows partition are fine but my computer still boots poorly on osx. Very low rez display, lagging mouse, no sound, no internet connection and general poor performance. I noticed that in the system report it showed that I have 8gb of "0Mhz" ram, does that mean that the ram isn't working? That would explain why my computer is running so slowly. Is there a kext or driver I need to download to get it to work? Also when I boot without -x in verbose I get unknown CPU and power failure warnings.

Thank you for your recommendations!
I chose the EVGA GTX 750 SC but before I get it I wanted to make sure that my computer isn't a lost cause. After I removed my old GPU I switched to intel integrated graphics and now my bios and windows partition are fine but my computer still boots poorly on osx. Very low rez display, lagging mouse, no sound, no internet connection and general poor performance. I noticed that in the system report it showed that I have 8gb of "0Mhz" ram, does that mean that the ram isn't working? That would explain why my computer is running so slowly. Is there a kext or driver I need to download to get it to work? Also when I boot without -x in verbose I get unknown CPU and power failure warnings.

If you set the Intel graphics RAM to 64MB in the UEFI, then that may improve things. You may need a little additional help to get it perfect.
Low rez display, lagging mouse and no sound can be normal when booting in safe mode - windows is no different. If this is happening without booting in safe mode then its mainly graphics related again. I noticed that someone else reporting that the same ethernet driver was not loading for them either.

If you have 8GB of RAM showing 0MHz then it looks like you have GSkill RAM - the latest Chimera has a bug that causes this. Again this can be fixed and it is only cosmetic. If you use any CPU that Apple do not use then you will see similar warnings - they are nothing to worry about.

You need a new GPU for windows anyway. So get the one that suits your requirements and you can give this OS X install another go.

The GTX750 is a Maxwell card. It requires additional drivers to function correctly in OS X. You can read about how to install using Storks guide for reference to the GPU stuff. Your ethernet and audio options will be different.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...am-new-gigabyte-750-ti-2gb-graphics-card.html

If you want to try installing using the integrated graphics again, then you can do so. De-select the two audio drivers that I set up and change the realtek Ethernet to one of the other options - the Apple one would be fine and add the 1080P option if that suits your screen resolution. :thumbup:

I bought a new graphics card, (I went with the EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti) and I installed it and it ran perfectly on my windows partition. I am still having the same issues on the mac side though with low performance in safe mode and not being able to boot without it. When I do a clean install and rerun multi beast, after the kexts finish loading and before I restart, I get a bunch of kext error messages. I still get the 0mhz memory error but i am using corsair vengeance memory. On top of all of this my motherboards ethernet driver isn't responding and I can't get on the internet in windows or OSX. There seems to be a lot going wrong here and i am wondering if I am doing something fundamentally wrong with this build.

I bought a new graphics card, (I went with the EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti) and I installed it and it ran perfectly on my windows partition. I am still having the same issues on the mac side though with low performance in safe mode and not being able to boot without it.

Good that you have a new card and that it is working fine in Windows. Safe mode in any operating system looks poor because the graphics drivers are disabled. Is your windows installation sharing a disk with OS X?

When I do a clean install and rerun multi beast, after the kexts finish loading and before I restart, I get a bunch of kext error messages.

This is actually normal with Yosemite - Apple is clamping down on OS X security by making it harder to install non Apple approved kexts (better known as kernel extensions or drivers)

I still get the 0mhz memory error but i am using corsair vengeance memory.

This is probably just the Chimera bug that I mentioned previously that is known to do this with G.Skill RAM. It is a reporting bug. Not going to worry about this just right now.

On top of all of this my motherboards ethernet driver isn't responding and I can't get on the internet in windows or OSX.

In the UEFI/BIOS under Peripherals there should be a setting similar to OnBoard LAN Controller. Make sure that this setting is set to Enabled. At the bottom of the page should be Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (In brackets the MAC address). Change your ethernet cable back to the router and even check over the router settings. Can you use ethernet to another computer device. I have seen router ports overheat and switch off - rare but happens but does not conflict with wifi. Do all testing in Windows initially. If you can solve this then it isn't hardware related.

There seems to be a lot going wrong here and i am wondering if I am doing something fundamentally wrong with this build.
I think a little bad luck with the GPU and a few other issues still to be resolved is not the end of the world. If even windows isn't working with ethernet then its a process of elimination. I got something to do quickly but I will edit a new MultiBeast link within the hour. I want you to use an earlier version of MultiBeast - more soon.

Multi booting Windows and OS X - guide supports all modern flavours of OS X (10.6 and above) and Windows. (7 and above)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

After doing yet another clean install I managed to get into osx without safe boot and everything looked normal but without audio or internet and for some reason multi beast was very slow. After I reinstalled the audio kext and rebooted I couldn't boot normally or with -x and I still can't.

The thing that is worrying me is the ethernet driver, I have tried to reinstall the drivers in windows and i am unable to I checked the bios and OnBoard LAN Controller is enabled and so is intel smart control. I checked the ethernet connection with my other computer and it is working fine. My modem was hit by lightning about a month ago although two other computers were also hooked up via ethernet when it happened and they are fine. Is it possible that the power surge traveled to the router and and from there fried the ethernet chip?

You could download Linux and either run it from another USB stick or a DVD. If there is no ethernet in Linux then the ethernet circuit on your Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 may have been damaged.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I was going to suggest that you use MultiBeast 7.4.0
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=269

And run an earlier earlier version of Chimera 4.0.1
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=258

Run both of these before you reboot. There is no audio option here and the default Mac Pro 3,1 system definition is used for the nVidia drivers

View attachment MB10.10.mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back