Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

Maybe it should be universal 32/64 bit. There are many results from google with the same problem and the cause is missing CPU architecture in the binary for the most of them.

Probably easier to make it just 32-bit only (eg. 'thin 32-bit'). Making a universal binary would involve unwinding the spagetti code that is the iasl makefiles (not designed to run the build twice with two different set of options, then link everything together)...

And... We would have to do the same with patchmatic and any other binary we might be using in there.

But it shouldn't be necessary... my tests conclude that it is iBoot-legacy 2.7.2 that causes this. If you use iBoot 3.3.0 instead, it works. I'll just edit the guide to use iBoot 3.3.0 only and remove iBoot legacy as an option.

Just did fresh install SL 10.6.8, following this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/78905-guide-installing-snow-leopard-hp-probook.html (I did not need to remove my extra 4GB RAM).

Used iBoot 3.3.0, Retail SL DVD 10.6.3 from Apple.

Normal sequence: iBoot 3.3.0 to boot Retail SL DVD, clean partition, install, reboot to iBoot into fresh HDD partition to finish to desktop, UpdateHelper, reboot to iBoot to HDD partition, to 10.6.8 combo update, force quit Installer, run ProBook Installer, reboot into working OS X 10.6.8 on ProBook 4530s.

True enough! This works. I still have to put the additional 4GB memory back in - saw your note too late (and that means patching the DSDT, I believe).

notes:
GB ~ 5800 which looks about right. I used -v as an iBoot option during the iBoot reboot sequences. It seemed to hang without it.

The initial boot into the 10.6.3 desktop was unresponsive perhaps because of USB confusion. I had left the USB flash drive in the right front socket. Thanks very much for your help!

True enough! This works. I still have to put the additional 4GB memory back in - saw your note too late (and that means patching the DSDT, I believe).

If you follow the guide linked to, you removed the memory for the install, but then added it back during the DSDT patch. So, if you didn't follow that guide, then yes, you will have to remove your /Extra/dsdt.aml, reboot (without DSDT), then re-run the ProBook Installer to create new patched DSDT.

I put that in the guide because the first few times I tried it I had difficulty with the full 8GB of memory installed. But found it was reliable without the extra memory. Since then, though, I've done several installs without removing the memory and it is has been working, so I leave the guide as is 'just in case.'

notes:
GB ~ 5800 which looks about right. I used -v as an iBoot option during the iBoot reboot sequences. It seemed to hang without it.

Timing may vary. I don't use "-v" for any of this and don't have trouble, but "-v" definitely helps the impatient types (because booting from DVD is slow).

The initial boot into the 10.6.3 desktop was unresponsive perhaps because of USB confusion. I had left the USB flash drive in the right front socket. Thanks very much for your help!

Glad you got it working...

Maybe it should be universal 32/64 bit. There are many results from google with the same problem and the cause is missing CPU architecture in the binary for the most of them.

Also, patchmatic is a no-go for 32-bit. It is based on MaciASL which uses Objective-C ARC (automatic reference counting), which is not available in 32-bit binaries on OS X.

So... I think we stick to 64-bit only...

Good catch. How these people deal with the BIOS error/wait that is part of this I just don't understand...

Well.... it was $20 on Amazon and it works on 5GHz and has a 300 connection rate. I don't mind waiting, which actually you can just hit the enter button to agree and immediately move on.

I will giver that patched file a try. Thanks.

Just did a clean install of 10.8.4 with beta15 and all works perfectly.

Took me a few installs as I realized that the options for virutualization were on in the Bios. So anyone doing a fresh install will need to remember to uncheck these otherwise updating from 10.8.0 to 10.8.4 will result in the greyscreen with spinning wheel.

And my volume levels are remembered :)

edited

If you follow the guide linked to, you removed the memory for the install, but then added it back during the DSDT patch. So, if you didn't follow that guide, then yes, you will have to remove your /Extra/dsdt.aml, reboot (without DSDT), then re-run the ProBook Installer to create new patched DSDT.

I put that in the guide because the first few times I tried it I had difficulty with the full 8GB of memory installed. But found it was reliable without the extra memory. Since then, though, I've done several installs without removing the memory and it is has been working, so I leave the guide as is 'just in case.'

Timing may vary.

I have locked this down now with a DSDT and my GB is 15.5% improved on 10.6.8 and temps are unremarkable. That's just fine. Is there a casing style for the ".AML" files in /Extra? I see uppercase lowercase and mixed. Are they all understood the same way?

edited

I have locked this down now with a DSDT and my GB is 15.5% improved on 10.6.8 and temps are unremarkable. That's just fine. Is there a casing style for the ".AML" files in /Extra? I see uppercase lowercase and mixed. Are they all understood the same way?

Mixed case is fine. Pick dSdT.AmL, if you like...

That's twice the time it takes ML to boot!
There is no delay if you hit "enter" on the warning screen.

Back