Contribute
Register

HP Folio 13 Guide! UNIBEAST + parts of MultiBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a small break I'm back.

Still thinking about going with the rebranding option for wifi. I already read the guides, etc, but as stupid as this question may sound: must the wifi card by detected and working to be able to rebrand it?

I only have this laptop (Folio 13) that use a whitelist in BIOS and as far as I understand, installing a not whitelisted wifi card will not let it boot and if it boots, wifi will never work. Correct?

If yes, I guess the only way to rebrand the wifi card is getting a laptop without whitelist, install the card, rebrand it, then install it in the Folio 13 and hope for the best. Right?

After a small break I'm back.

Still thinking about going with the rebranding option for wifi. I already read the guides, etc, but as stupid as this question may sound: must the wifi card by detected and working to be able to rebrand it?

It has to be placed in a computer without a whitelist that excludes its use.

I only have this laptop (Folio 13) that use a whitelist in BIOS and as far as I understand, installing a not whitelisted wifi card will not let it boot and if it boots, wifi will never work. Correct?

Correct.

If yes, I guess the only way to rebrand the wifi card is getting a laptop without whitelist, install the card, rebrand it, then install it in the Folio 13 and hope for the best. Right?

Yup.

mmm looks like a dead end for me. I will check if it would be possible to somehow connect the wifi (half-mini PCIe) card to my desktop PC. Maybe with some kind of adapter.
Thanks for your reply rehabman!

Ok. I found some mini PCIe to PCIe adapters so I would be able to plug the new wifi card in my desktop PC and do the rebranding there.

So, currently in my laptop BIOS whitelist:

• Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030
  • Atheros 9485GN
  • Broadcom 4313GN

Before ordering the new hardware what would you recommend in terms of rebranding/compatibility:

• BCM94352 HMB/AzureWave AW-CE123H, 2.4/5 GHz, ac+abgn, 2 stream, 867 Mbs + BT (4.0)
  • AR9280 - 2.4/5 GHz 802.11n, 2 Stream, 300 Mbs

I would prefer not to loose bluetooth with this change and of course, but more important, to keep a good performance (300Mbs is enough) using both laptop antennas. Also I need something that would work on 5Ghz preferably.
With this in mind the obvious choice would be the Broadcom one, but I don't know if maybe the Atheros one will have other advantages?

mmm looks like a dead end for me. I will check if it would be possible to somehow connect the wifi (half-mini PCIe) card to my desktop PC. Maybe with some kind of adapter.
Thanks for your reply rehabman!

Yes, there are half-mini PCIe -> PCIe adapters you can use in your desktop.

Hey! Just modified my latests post. I would really like to know your thoughts about it. :think:

Ok. I found some mini PCIe to PCIe adapters so I would be able to plug the new wifi card in my desktop PC and do the rebranding there.

So, currently in my laptop BIOS whitelist:

• Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030
  • Atheros 9485GN
  • Broadcom 4313GN

Before ordering the new hardware what would you recommend in terms of rebranding/compatibility:

• BCM94352 HMB/AzureWave AW-CE123H, 2.4/5 GHz, ac+abgn, 2 stream, 867 Mbs + BT (4.0)
  • AR9280 - 2.4/5 GHz 802.11n, 2 Stream, 300 Mbs

I would prefer not to loose bluetooth with this change and of course, but more important, to keep a good performance (300Mbs is enough) using both laptop antennas. Also I need something that would work on 5Ghz preferably.
With this in mind the obvious choice would be the Broadcom one, but I don't know if maybe the Atheros one will have other advantages?

If you find a rebrand guide for the newer BCM, let me know... I'd like to experiment with that too.

The AR9280 rebranded as HP AR9485 should work, although the AR9280 cards don't have BT (and just 5Ghz 80211n, no 'ac')

If you find a rebrand guide for the newer BCM, let me know... I'd like to experiment with that too.

I will search and let you know if I find something.

The AR9280 rebranded as HP AR9485 should work, although the AR9280 cards don't have BT (and just 5Ghz 80211n, no 'ac')

Yeah, well, I don't currently have a 80211ac AP anyway (and not planning to get one so far) but I do have a 5Ghz AP that I'm already using for my Surface and since there are more than 60 wifi networks around my apartment (it's a RF nightmare) on the 2.4Ghz band I really want to move to 5Ghz (currently free). So this is a good chance to upgrade the laptop card and move.

After giving it a second thought I will go with the Atheros option. It's better supported under Linux (my default OS) and rebranding seems to be more easy and doable than the broadcom one. Also to be honest I'm not using bluetooth at all and I don't expect to start using it in the near future with my laptop.

I will post my results in the next weeks.

Thanks for your help RehabMan!

So I finally got the hardware, rebranded the wifi card and installed in my Folio 13.
It's working in Linux and now it's time to make it work also in OS X. :headbang:

I'm one DSDT away from finishing my laptop hackintosh!

And to achieve this final step, rehabman, I will need your help once more.

Do you know how should I patch my DSDT to make OS-X recognize my Atheros 9280 wifi card rebranded as HP Atheros 9485?

This was the original Atheros 9280 id: 168C_002A/1A3B_1081
The new id is: 168C_0032/103C_1785

I will really appreciate your help, once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back