• No

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • With exceptions

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All working now mate thanks :)

Ok I am finally happy with my setup - What is the best way to take a snapshot of this setup as it now incase I have issues again and need to do a the equivalent of a windows "system restore" back to these initial settings? :)

I am really happy that you have a good working system now! Congrats.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for that as it is really fast. I just create a dmg from my drive and if anything is going wrong I can fire up installer and restore the dmg with Disk Utility.
But yes Time Machine is also a good option but takes more time to backup and restore.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for that as it is really fast. I just create a dmg from my drive and if anything is going wrong I can fire up installer and restore the dmg with Disk Utility.
But yes Time Machine is also a good option but takes more time to backup and restore.

really happy thank you. I know I've said it about 3888 times now, but thank you to you all for the help each time!

One observation I have made.... Bootup time following a fresh installation was really quick for me...im talking around 10 seconds....

Ive since enabled TRIM via TRIM ENABLER - (as this is suggested for SSD drives) - This appears to have slowed down boot up and shutdown times quite substantially. It now takes around 30-40 seconds to boot and shutdown. If the benefits of having TRIM enabled over a long period of time outweigh the benefit of having a slower boot up time I can live with that :)

Any similar experiences with you guys?

Hi mate,

How do you confirm if speed steep (SSDT) is working for my CPU? I chose the SSDT option from the hp pro book installer which said it would generate an SSDT.... I can see this SSDT.aml in the /Extra folder on my hard drive.

Do I now need to place that SSDT.aml in the ACPI/patched folder on my EFI partition for it to load? Or is it loaded automatically anyway?

I haven't made any changes yet, but I ran the MSRDumper app as suggested on another thread out of curiosity to check my current CPU states (before doing anything)

my CPU is Core i7 3520M

MSRDumper PStatesReached 12 22 29 34

Can anyone who has the same processor as me confirm is that looks right?

I also ran sdtPRGen.sh as suggested in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK_ALk9N3L4 to check that my CPU is being detected correctly.
I didn't save any changes, but here is the output of it..

sdtPRGen.sh v6.7 Copyright (c) 2013 by Pike R. Alpha
----------------------------------------------------------------
Processor Declaration(s) Found in DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)
Generating ssdt_pr.dsl for a MacBookPro9,2 [Mac-6F01561E16C75D06]
Ivy Bridge Core i7-3520M processor [0x306A9] setup [0x0704]
With a maximum TDP of 35 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 2900 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 7 (3000-3600 MHz)
Number of P-States: 25 (1200-3600 MHz)
Adjusting C-States for detected (mobile) processor
Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7)
Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3)

ASL Input: /Users/hackbook/Desktop/ssdt_pr.dsl - 246 lines, 7809 bytes, 37 keywords
AML Output: /Users/hackbook/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml - 1357 bytes, 15 named objects, 22 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations
Clover boot.log found

I was going to follow the rest of that video, but it then starts going into talk around chameleon boot loader so I didn't follow it as we are using Clover here.

So as it stands I have the original SSDT.aml in the /Extra folder which HP Pro Book created when I first ran it during initial install. (This is based on my choosing a core i7 Ivy Bridge system definition for 3520m)

I also have on my desktop the ssdt_pr.dsl and ssdt_pr.aml files that the script above generated. If I renamed the ssdt_pr.aml file to ssdt.aml...where would I need to place this so that my laptop uses these settings?

That guide only applies to Windows 8 UEFI above. For Windows 7, burn the iso to DVD, make sure you choose UEFI(without CSM) in BIOS and install your Windows, after you can boot to Windows 7, follow step 5.

I have burnt the windows 7 iso to DVD and it is in my drive at the moment.
BIOS is still set to UEFI (Without CSM) however when I reboot, it just boots straight into the normal clover menu as normal (asking me to select my mavericks boot.

The DVD tray does not spin up or anything, so how do I start the windows installer please?

I have burnt the windows 7 iso to DVD and it is in my drive at the moment.
BIOS is still set to UEFI (Without CSM) however when I reboot, it just boots straight into the normal clover menu as normal (asking me to select my mavericks boot.

The DVD tray does not spin up or anything, so how do I start the windows installer please?

Press F9 at boot then choose UEFI DVD.

Btw, you don't need to have SSDT.aml in Clover bootloader, did you ever read my whole guide?

Btw, you don't need to have SSDT.aml in Clover bootloader, did you ever read my whole guide?

Sorry mate, I did - but apologies! Completely comfortable with the guide but I get a bit lost when it gets down to the clover configurator part in which we are generating the theme and SMBIOS. Am I correct in thinking whatever we update in this tool is editing the config.plist in /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file?

In HP Probook installer I checked the "SSDT generator". Am I correct in thinking that this
a) created an SSDT.aml file based on the cpu it detected / system profile I selected from the system defintions section of the probook installer
b) placed that SSDT.aml file in my /Extra folder on my main OSX hard drive partition.
c) When the system boots, how does it know which SSDT setting to use if we do not copy the SDDT.aml across to the patched folder on the EFI partition ? Where are the SSDT setting actually loaded from on startup ?

If I wanted my system to use the SSDT.aml file that I produced on my own via the sdtPRGen.sh file (AML Output: /Users/hackbook/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml -) desribed in my last post, where would I need to place this file / what changed would I need to make in the clover configurator tool ?

Sorry mate, I dont get that explicit option when hitting F9

photo 1.JPG

I went ahead and tried the Boot from EFI file option and selected the EFI sector CDROM option. It launched the windows intaller however it gets as far as the starting windows screen and just hangs on that straight away (The logo does not move)

photo 2.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

Sorry mate, I did - but apologies! Completely comfortable with the guide but I get a bit lost when it gets down to the clover configurator part in which we are generating the theme and SMBIOS. Am I correct in thinking whatever we update in this tool is editing the config.plist in /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file?

Only edit /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file once with Clover Configurator, you edit the Theme value, not generate it. You have to generate SMBIOS information, it's in Clover Configurator.

In HP Probook installer I checked the "SSDT generator". Am I correct in thinking that this
a) created an SSDT.aml file based on the cpu it detected / system profile I selected from the system defintions section of the probook installer
b) placed that SSDT.aml file in my /Extra folder on my main OSX hard drive partition.
c) When the system boots, how does it know which SSDT setting to use if we do not copy the SDDT.aml across to the patched folder on the EFI partition ? Where are the SSDT setting actually loaded from on startup ?

If I wanted my system to use the SSDT.aml file that I produced on my own via the sdtPRGen.sh file (AML Output: /Users/hackbook/Desktop/ssdt_pr.aml -) desribed in my last post, where would I need to place this file / what changed would I need to make in the clover configurator tool ?

I NEVER mention generate SSDT.aml in my guide. In PBI step, I don't tell you to choose SSDT generator. It's only used when you follow RehabMan's guide here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112380-guide-installing-mavericks-hp-probook.html

Please read the SSDT section in my guide. The SSDT will be generated by Clover, but if you want to use your own SSDT.aml, place it in Clover/ACPI/patched/ and edit your Config.plist. They're all in my guide here, please search in the guide before asking unnecessary questions:banghead::banghead:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

I went ahead and tried the Boot from EFI file option and selected the EFI sector CDROM option. It launched the windows intaller however it gets as far as the starting windows screen and just hangs on that straight away (The logo does not move)
Sorry, there maybe a problem with Windows 7 UEFI with new laptops
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...in-native-uefi-mode/td-p/6126535#.UoTnRfbBIoY

It's my fault because I didn't test Windows 7 UEFI. You can buy Windows 8+ to use Windows UEFI, or install Windows 7 Legacy by following these steps:

- Boot to OS X and select your Windows partition as FAT, so that you can install Windows 7 Legacy there.
- Edit your config.plist like the "Legacy OS" in my guide.
- Go to BIOS and select UEFI (with CSM).
- Press F9 and you can see Windows 7 now, continue installing.
I think it's enough.

QUOTE]

Sorry, there maybe a problem with Windows 7 UEFI with new laptops
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...in-native-uefi-mode/td-p/6126535#.UoTnRfbBIoY

It's my fault because I didn't test Windows 7 UEFI. You can buy Windows 8+ to use Windows UEFI, or install Windows 7 Legacy by following these steps:

- Boot to OS X and select your Windows partition as FAT, so that you can install Windows 7 Legacy there.
- Edit your config.plist like the "Legacy OS" in my guide.
- Go to BIOS and select UEFI (with CSM).
- Press F9 and you can see Windows 7 now, continue installing.
I think it's enough.

Win7 install media (eg. DVD) is not setup for UEFI boot. But you can shuffle some files around (on a USB) and make it work. I forget the details... use google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back