Contribute
Register

HP 2170p Yosemite install trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a brand new install from a 100% legitimate Yosemite install made from a real Mac's AppStore on a real Mac, I still get the same issue of battery indicator not appearing. It seems very random.

I had no problems installing Yosemite whatsoever, not a single kernel panic, nor any post-install kernel panics.

I applied everything we have discussed throughout this thread and so far the battery indicator is not visible or working, as I said with the previous install it just started working out of the blue, I had changed nothing in the system when I decided to reboot.

With a brand new install from a 100% legitimate Yosemite install made from a real Mac's AppStore on a real Mac, I still get the same issue of battery indicator not appearing. It seems very random.

What do you mean by "seems very random". Are you saying the problem is intermittent?

Check system.log.

What do you mean by "seems very random". Are you saying the problem is intermittent?
Random as in I did nothing to fix it, but it just started working on the previous install. And I recall an episode on an install before that where it appeared for one boot, and disappearing on the next.

Check system.log.
I noticed this line when I try to toggle the battery indicator, does it make any sense to you?
Code:
Jul  4 14:49:00 Aleksanders-MacBook-Pro.local SystemUIServer[255]: Menu Extra: <BatteryExtra: 0x7fe04ae27e00> is over retained.
Ignore the macbook pro name, it's cause I was lazy and didn't change name after changing SMBIOS to MBA 5,2.

Ignore the macbook pro name, it's cause I was lazy and didn't change name after changing SMBIOS to MBA 5,2.

So your SMBIOS was invalid. Do a fresh install without making such mistakes.

So your SMBIOS was invalid. Do a fresh install without making such mistakes.
It's what it's set to automatically in the Clover configurations that is provided in the guide, so you want me to not follow the guide and alter the configurations then? The EFI partition in itself was never even used with anything except from Macbook Air 5,2.

It's what it's set to automatically in the Clover configurations that is provided in the guide, so you want me to not follow the guide and alter the configurations then? The EFI partition in itself was never even used with anything except from Macbook Air 5,2.

I would use the appropriate SMBIOS that matches the CPU.

Keep in mind that changing SMBIOS is more than just changing the product label.

I tend to do my installs with a complete/final SMBIOS that I plan to use. Such that the install is done with my final serial#. It is probably overkill, but it is what I do.

Also, you could try beginning with a fully patched DSDT at the very outset.

DSDT patching guide: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch. Guide is in the wiki.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas for you.

One more idea: Did you update BIOS to the latest? Have you reviewed your BIOS settings? Don't forget to patch DSDT if you update BIOS.

Your 2170p is different from other 2x70p models because your laptop uses Ultra-low-voltage CPU, so it's normal that you should edit some settings to suit your system. I will create a separate option for 2170p in the installer based on your feedback.

Your 2170p is different from other 2x70p models because your laptop uses Ultra-low-voltage CPU, so it's normal that you should edit some settings to suit your system. I will create a separate option for 2170p in the installer based on your feedback.
Much appreciated, I am attempting a fresh install using Macbook Air 5,2 as the SMBIOS, as opposed to the Macbook Pro 9,2 that is default.

Will report back later.

One more idea: Did you update BIOS to the latest? Have you reviewed your BIOS settings? Don't forget to patch DSDT if you update BIOS.
I updated to F.61 (F.62 is not available for 2170p), I have been in the BIOS several times since and everything looks alright. I have also reinstalled since then.

My latest install was with a config that set the SMBIOS to MacbookAir5,2 for the installation rather than MacbookPro9,2, though it made no difference.

I'll take a look at the DSDT patching.

I'll take a look at the DSDT patching.

Worth trying.

Note that my ACPI strategy is quite a bit different than the one employed by the ProBook Installer (I keep all OEM CPU PM related SSDTs), so make sure you read it carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back