Contribute
Register

HP 2170p Yosemite install trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question though, the fact that I can install Mavericks using the same steps as for Yosemite, with the same files and it is successful and everything including the battery indicator working. Does this mean that it is the Yosemite battery manager that could be the problem?

After all, no fancy tricks are required for Mavericks to work on my machine. :think:

Edit: Noticed something interesting, in Yosemite the CPU will be limited to x8 multiplier and 792MHz in Hwmonitor, on Mavericks it will be dynamic, changing from 8x to 14x etc. Just mentioning discrepancies in order to help understand what's going on and how we can ensure that the 2170p is well supported for other users as well.

Edit 2: Figured I'd run Geekbench and see, and lo and behold it does look like Yosemite has some kind of CPU problem with the 2170p too. On Yosemite I would get about 1500 multi-core points, with Mavericks I get 5372. Odd, the CPU is the same as in my Macbook Air mid-2012 that also runs Yosemite.

Edit: Noticed something interesting, in Yosemite the CPU will be limited to x8 multiplier and 792MHz in

Check with AppleIntelInfo.kext. Indicates power management issue. Post ioreg if you want me to look, but final test is always with pstate output from AppleIntelInfo.

Edit 2: Figured I'd run Geekbench and see, and lo and behold it does look like Yosemite has some kind of CPU problem with the 2170p too. On Yosemite I would get about 1500 multi-core points, with Mavericks I get 5372. Odd, the CPU is the same as in my Macbook Air mid-2012 that also runs Yosemite.

Definitely you have a power management issue...

Just want to let you know that installing Mavericks (where everything works after running PBI) then upgrading to Yosemite lets me have a 100% working Yosemite, is there anything from it running now that you think may help figure out what the issue is? I'm unable to dump the data right now, however I will take your feedback into account when getting back to the machine.

Thanks.

Just want to let you know that installing Mavericks (where everything works after running PBI) then upgrading to Yosemite lets me have a 100% working Yosemite,

Implies something was wrong with your USB installer for Yosemite...

is there anything from it running now that you think may help figure out what the issue is?

Not really.

After more testing, it stopped working on a Yosemite install that was upgraded from Mavericks.

However, I found this line, could it be of any importance?
Code:
07/07/15 13:38:06,168 PowerChime[309]: objc[309]: Class BUIPowerSource is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BatteryUIKit.framework/Versions/A/BatteryUIKit and /System/Library/CoreServices/PowerChime.app/Contents/MacOS/PowerChime. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Edit: Saw something about psteps not being sent in the system log. Then I added the apple Intel info kext, and now it kernel panics, I will try to fix it whenever I am back at the computer. Either way this debunks the possibility that it is the USB installer. It IS something with Yosemite, question is what.

After more testing, it stopped working on a Yosemite install that was upgraded from Mavericks.

However, I found this line, could it be of any importance?
Code:
07/07/15 13:38:06,168 PowerChime[309]: objc[309]: Class BUIPowerSource is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BatteryUIKit.framework/Versions/A/BatteryUIKit and /System/Library/CoreServices/PowerChime.app/Contents/MacOS/PowerChime. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Edit: Saw something about psteps not being sent in the system log. Then I added the apple Intel info kext, and now it kernel panics, I will try to fix it whenever I am back at the computer. Either way this debunks the possibility that it is the USB installer. It IS something with Yosemite, question is what.

If you think it is the cause...

Remove /System/Library/CoreServices/PowerChime.app

See what happens...

Remove /System/Library/CoreServices/PowerChime.app

See what happens...
Nothing. :(

Hmm.

Edit: By the way on Yosemite (when upgraded from working Mavericks) the CPU seems to work 100% correct, it increases and decreases in frequency and my score is similar to that of Mavericks. It doesn't seem to be a CPU issue?

Nothing. :(

Hmm.

Edit: By the way on Yosemite (when upgraded from working Mavericks) the CPU seems to work 100% correct, it increases and decreases in frequency and my score is similar to that of Mavericks. It doesn't seem to be a CPU issue?

I bought one of these on eBay and I'm expecting it to arrive soon. What is the current situation with your 2170p, did you install El Capitan?

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back