Contribute
Register

How to use Intel Graphics without physically removing GPU?

me2

Motherboard
MSI z87-G45
CPU
Intel 4670K
Graphics
GTX1070
I just installed Catalina. I came from High Sierra on which my GTX1070 was working perfectly. Since there is no support on Catalina I have to use my Intel Graphics. I'm also using Windows so I can't pop my graphics card in and out every time. I've been trying different config for multiple hours, but I cannot seems to find the problem. Can anyone help me configure my config.plist so it uses my Intel Graphics without physically removing my GPU?

MOBO: MSI z87-G45
Processor: Intel 4670k

Attachments

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
This isn’t quite the technical solution you’re probably after, but this is what I do.

I have a GTX 1060 which I use when I boot Windows, and I didn’t want to take it out either. So I bought another HDMI cable which I permanently leave in my monitor, and then have the other end not in the integrated HDMI slot but just slightly hanging next to it and then I just push it into the HDMI port and boot MacOS and it automatically prioritises integrated over discrete as my card isn’t supported.

Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 + RX 580
The easiest way to do it is by adding the following flag to your config:

Code:
-wegnoegpu
This disables all external GPUs.

You can also add properties to disable cards only from a specific brand which is useful if you, like me, also have an NVIDIA card to use for Windows and an AMD card to use on your hackintosh.

Here's how:
  1. Open your config.plist
  2. Go to Devices → Add Properties and add the following code
Devices Key Value Disabled Value Type
NVidia name 23646973706C6179 DATA
NVidia IOName #display STRING
NVidia class-code FFFFFFFF DATA

Credits to khronokernel.

Last edited: