Contribute
Register

How to fix Corrupt Gigabyte BIOS ? (Mojave).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Yes. :)

I would love to try this. However, transitioning to OC would require a working system, right?

Based on the instructions I would need to remove certain clover docs, etc. I can't do that without booting up, I assume.
yes, you will need a working computer, be it a mac, windows or linux system to create an installer

yes, you will need a working computer, be it a mac, windows or linux system to create an installer
I do have another working computer I could use to make the installer.

However, the instructions seemed to imply the clover cleanup would be necessary prior. Perhaps I misunderstood? Maybe I need to reread them. I would hope to install this on the current (problematic) boot drive. It wouldn't be a fresh install.

Also... Based on the comments here, I'm wondering if I should repair the existing boot drive first, assuming that is the issue and reason why my existing machine will not boot up.

To be honest, I am just guessing and trying to troubleshoot one assumption after the other.

I do have another working computer I could use to make the installer.

However, the instructions seemed to imply the clover cleanup would be necessary prior. Perhaps I misunderstood? Maybe I need to reread them. I would hope to install this on the current (problematic) boot drive. It wouldn't be a fresh install.

Also... Based on the comments here, I'm wondering if I should repair the existing boot drive first, assuming that is the issue and reason why my existing machine will not boot up.

To be honest, I am just guessing and trying to troubleshoot one assumption after the other.
if you already have a working system, then no need to erase your current drive if you make a switch to opencore

Hi, again.

Sorry. I run Mojave. I don't know why I typed Monterey in the subject. Fixed. This can go back in the Mojave forum.

I have been swamped.

Questions:
- The OC solution seems like I'll need a few hours. Is there anything I can do that might be a bit quicker? OC seems like the best long term solution.

WHAT I DID
I was in a rush so I took Pilgrims advice and booted up from a USB. I created a Unibeast boot drive and ran Disk Utilities on my internal drive. It didn't seem to see any issues on the internal drive.

Pilgrims comment: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-corrupt-gigabyte-bios-mojave.320168/post-2328350

Steps
- So easy. Choose the UEFI USB via bios settings and there were no issues.
- Assumption: My bios settings must be ok if I can boot into the USB stick
2. I then tried to boot into the internal drive (from a powered down state).
- When I enter the bios boot options I see two options, even though there is only 1 drive connected to the machine.
a. P1. Samsung EVO (blah blah blah)
b. UEFI Samsung EVO (blah blah blah)
- I picked the UEFI option of course.

I get a black screen.
blackstart.jpg

3. I read the 80% of the OC guide. Wow. Very thorough. However, I admit I am intimidated by the number of alleged edits, etc, along the way. I am looking for guides specific to my machine, in hopes of only getting the steps I need for this machine/config.

In the meantime, I'd love to get access to some files here and I don't have an enclosure/adapter for my internal drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi, again.

Sorry. I run Mojave. I don't know why I typed Monterey in the subject. Fixed. This can go back in the Mojave forum.

I have been swamped.

Questions:
- The OC solution seems like I'll need a few hours. Is there anything I can do that might be a bit quicker? OC seems like the best long term solution.

WHAT I DID
I was in a rush so I took Pilgrims advice and booted up from a USB. I created a Unibeast boot drive and ran Disk Utilities on my internal drive. It didn't seem to see any issues on the internal drive.

Pilgrims comment: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-corrupt-gigabyte-bios-mojave.320168/post-2328350

Steps
- So easy. Choose the UEFI USB via bios settings and there were no issues.
- Assumption: My bios settings must be ok if I can boot into the USB stick
2. I then tried to boot into the internal drive (from a powered down state).
- When I enter the bios boot options I see two options, even though there is only 1 drive connected to the machine.
a. P1. Samsung EVO (blah blah blah)
b. UEFI Samsung EVO (blah blah blah)
- I picked the UEFI option of course.

I get a black screen.
View attachment 551292

3. I read the 80% of the OC guide. Wow. Very thorough. However, I admit I am intimidated by the number of alleged edits, etc, along the way. I am looking for guides specific to my machine, in hopes of only getting the steps I need for this machine/config.

In the meantime, I'd love to get access to some files here and I don't have an enclosure/adapter for my internal drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi! I thought I'd ask again, just in case anyone had an alternative suggestion to troubleshoot/resolve this issue.

Didn't mean to post a dupe. OK.
Hi there.

As you have transitioned from Legacy to UEFI BIOS, you can check all the files are in the right places by using the UniBeast boot USB stick. Begin the Installer BUT do not select a destination or proceed once it has loaded. When it reaches the graphic Installer screen, with the Menu bar at the top, go to the Tools menu and from it select Disk Utility (If you don't see the icons on screen).

Once the app has loaded check your main drive for Partition and Format. Note the disk ID = for example "disk0" or "disk0s2" etc.

Next, go back to the Tools menu and select Terminal.

Enter these commands:

Code:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI

Code:
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk*s1 /Volumes/EFI

... replacing the "*" with the disk number of your machine.

If everything is okay when you type the following Terminal command:

Code:
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI

... you should see all your OpenCore directories. If not, then you do not have a UEFI install. In that case check the root of your main drive and see if it is there.

The reason for the above is because is just to check you have the UEFI boot set up correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back