Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS High Sierra Public Beta Installation USB

There are not yet versions of UniBeast and MultiBeast for High Sierra. Thus, the Post #1 set of procedures to create a High Sierra USB installation thumb drive without UniBeast - the long way.

After creating your High Sierra USB installation thumb drive, copy MultiBeast for Sierra onto the USB installer. Then, after the installation, copy MultiBeast onto your installation drive, and proceed with your post installation as per the Post #1's instructions.

Thanks for writing this, because the changelog for Multibeast for Sierra says, "MultiBeast 9.1.0: Sierra Edition is ONLY for OS X 10.12.x." I had been doubting that using it for High Sierra 10.13 was the correct thing to do.

I was able to create the bootable thumb drive just fine, but have encountered other problems. I guess I shouldn't clutter this thread with my problems, so I'll post them elsewhere.

Could someone tell me how I can navigate to the EFI, thanks

13. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge
14. Open Clover package installer
15. Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...
16. Choose the USB, now called Install macOS High Sierra Beta
17. Hit Customize and install Clover to the same USB using one of the following examples:

View attachment 263972
(UEFI Mode)

View attachment 263971
(Legacy Mode)​

18. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ and replace default config.plist with one of the attached config.plist examples.
19. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add FakeSMC.kext
20. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add your ethernet kext
21. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Your Clover Installation USB is now finished.

For post installation instructions and screenshots, please see
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Clover Developers:
Slice, with help of Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr, rehabman, Download-Fritz, Zenit432, cecekpawon…

Source code credits:
Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon, rEFIt and Xom.

Official Clover Links:
Sourceforge: Clover
Clover Wiki

Config.plist Examples

Could someone tell me how I can navigate to the EFI, thanks
efi will show up in finder when you install clover

or you can also use clover configurator to mount the efi folder

or there is a download (under downloads) called EFI Mounter

also, please update your hardware profile as per rules

So I tried to download the beta on my old Dell Studio 1535 running Yosemite. I don't want to actually install it there, that machine won't take even El Capitan, it barely runs Yosemite. Just get it downloaded and copy it somewhere.

The download finished quick, way too quick. Looks like it just downloaded a stub of some sort and not the whole thing. Now what?

Edit: Found goingbald's post #64, I'm going to try that.
Once you have downloaded the "stub" from the App Store and found it is not the full package, try deleting the app and the empty trash. Then, go to App Store, log in and click on the Purchased tab. The app should be listed there and you can download it.
Does not seem to be working for me. I never see it in Purchased.

Last edited:
So I tried to download the beta on my old Dell Studio 1535 running Yosemite. I don't want to actually install it there, that machine won't take even El Capitan, it barely runs Yosemite. Just get it downloaded and copy it somewhere.

The download finished quick, way too quick. Looks like it just downloaded a stub of some sort and not the whole thing. Now what?

Edit: Found goingbald's post #64, I'm going to try that.
Does not seem to be working for me. I never see it in Purchased.

If you are just trying to download the HS beta, go to beta.apple.com, make sure you're signed in, then click the link to go to the App Store HS download page. If the App Store detects you already have it, it may not work or it may say already downloaded. So delete or move the app out of /Applications and revisit the link and you should get a Download button.

This works to get the later versions of the installer app as well.

If you are just trying to download the HS beta, go to beta.apple.com, make sure you're signed in, then click the link to go to the App Store HS download page. If the App Store detects you already have it, it may not work or it may say already downloaded. So delete or move the app out of /Applications and revisit the link and you should get a Download button.

This works to get the later versions of the installer app as well.
I have been trying exactly that. All I ever get is the 14.9MB stub installer.

OK, seems like it's working. All I did different this time was stop the Caching service on my local Sierra Server.

This is a Desktop Guide forum - For help with your Laptop post in the relevant Laptop Support forum.

The image is telling you that a keyboard has not been detected and reminding you that if you have a bluetooth keyboard you should switch it on.

Thank you :)

Success! Z270X-UD5, i7700K, Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2, Vega Frontier Edition, OSX WiFi/BT card. Everything OOTB. High Sierra is going to be a major improvement!

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 12.30.02 AM.png

Back