Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
highsierra-circle.png
Here's a quick guide to create a macOS High Sierra 10.13 Public Beta Installation USB using Clover. Please note, this guide is not universal, and may not work for all systems.

STEP 1: Download macOS High Sierra Public Beta

1. Enroll in the Free Apple Beta Software Program
2. Open Mac App Store
3. Log in with your Apple ID
4. Redeem code
4. Download macOS High Sierra Public Beta

The Application Install macOS High Sierra Beta will appear in /Applications.

STEP 2: Prepare Bootable USB Drive
This step extracts the Installer contents, then installs Clover bootloader to the USB stick.

1. Insert the USB drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose GUID Partition Table
8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later)
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
12. Type the following, enter password and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native installer media from the Install High Sierra Beta Application.

macOS High Sierra

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath  /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

macOS High Sierra (Public Beta)
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath  /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 4.52.51 PM.png
Upon completion, the USB will be renamed Install macOS High Sierra Beta.

13. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge
14. Open Clover package installer
15. Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...
16. Choose the USB, now called Install macOS High Sierra Beta
17. Hit Customize and install Clover to the same USB using one of the following examples:

UEFI.png
(UEFI Mode)

Legacy.png
(Legacy Mode)​

18. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ and replace default config.plist with one of the attached config.plist examples.
19. Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.
20. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add FakeSMC.kext
21. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add your ethernet kext
22. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Your Clover Installation USB is now finished.

For post installation instructions and screenshots, please see
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Clover Developers:
Slice, with help of Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr, rehabman, Download-Fritz, Zenit432, cecekpawon…

Source code credits:
Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon, rEFIt and Xom.

Official Clover Links:
Sourceforge: Clover
Clover Wiki

Config.plist Examples

Attachments

• config-sample-legacy.plist
    4.7 KB · Views: 9,906
  • config-sample.plist
    5 KB · Views: 18,804
Last edited:
Up and running just waiting for graphics and sound fix - installed using the new Apple File system it is noticeably quite fast!!!

Where do i get the latest or the best APFS.efi file ?

Where do i get the latest or the best APFS.efi file ?

Actually you get that choice at the installation stage when formatting the hard drive (only works with ssd drive). Oh ok I see what you mean. If I'm not mistaken, the latest Clover incorporates all you should need to build your installation usb drive. I've attached the file but I don't think you will need it.

Attachments

• apfs.efi.zip
    219 KB · Views: 1,396
Actually you get that choice at the installation stage when formatting the hard drive (only works with ssd drive). Oh ok I see what you mean. If I'm not mistaken, the latest Clover incorporates all you should need to build your installation usb drive. I've attached the file but I don't think you will need it.

Thank you,

No problem,both of my Laptops (Lenovo ThinkPad L440 & Lenovo B570e) have SSD Drives so i will clean install on APFS.
Yes i just meant the apfs.efi since i wasn`t sure what was the best source to get it,also i don`t see it on Drivers64UEFi on my EFI Partition (with latest Clover 4097) which i assume it`s not included.

Thank you,

No problem,both of my Laptops (Lenovo ThinkPad L440 & Lenovo B570e) have SSD Drives so i will clean install on APFS.
Yes i just meant the apfs.efi since i wasn`t sure what was the best source to get it,also i don`t see it on Drivers64UEFi on my EFI Partition (with latest Clover 4097) which i assume it`s not included.

Ok - just follow the tonymac guide on how to build your HS installer usb and you will have the choice to format your ssd drive with the new file system when you are asked where you want to install HS, you will then be asked how you want to format the drive, just tick the APFS box and continue with the installation. Good luck.

When trying to make the USB, the partition tab in Disk Utility is greyed out. Stuck there. Just for fun I tried to upgrade to High Sierra from Sierra, goes to restart and stays in Sierra.

Code:
Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.
Try download "macOS Install Data" two times. Install macOS High Sierra Beta is in Applications and macOS Install Data is in the macos root partition.
Any ideas?

Edited: Read some Blog comment that the pen must be named "Untitled". It works, i mean no more the error above. This is on the Public Beta. But new erro:
Code:
Failed to copy kernelcache, The file “prelinkedkernel” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.

Last edited:
Back