Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
- I'm using BIOS 1301 on Asus X299-A Prime, disabled lock on MSR 3Ah, MSR 0E2h and CSR 80h in BIOS
- I have VoodooTSCSync.kext in kext folder
- SMBIOS iMacPro1,1, no kernel patches, I'm on 10.13.4 Beta (17E190a)

Awesome! how did you go about the unlock? did you do a complete power down by turning the PSU off? did you use the kgp settings in the bios? anything else? I'm on 10.13.3 SA.. wonder if something has changed with 10.13.4.

Never needed VoodooTSCSync.kext before this with this guide.. are there any settings required for that?

Last edited:
- I'm using BIOS 1301 on Asus X299-A Prime, disabled lock on MSR 3Ah, MSR 0E2h and CSR 80h in BIOS
- I have VoodooTSCSync.kext in kext folder
- SMBIOS iMacPro1,1, no kernel patches, I'm on 10.13.4 Beta (17E190a)

VoodooTSCSync.kext was missing in my clover folder. Everything works perfect as before, thx for the hint!

VoodooTSCSync.kext was missing in my clover folder. Everything works perfect as before, thx for the hint!

Awesome! We Never needed VoodooTSCSync.kext before this with this guide.. are there any settings required for that? any particular reason why now?

I can confirm 1301 runs on iMacPro 1,1 with VoodooTSCSync.kext.

Results in Geekbench:
- Single core: 5904
- Multi-core 44994

Overclock: 4.8 Ghz (sync all cores) @1.33V (needed to increase from 1.325)
Positive: CPU temp stays under/at 80°C

NEVER attempt this overclock without delidd or water-cooler.

By applying the bios patches from @interferenc posted in KGP's guide, you don't need to use VoodooTSCSync.kext, this is the reason why we all removed it from our EFI folders.

Yes just tried it! Excellent! Improvement in the Geekbench scores!

Used the UEFI Patch method to unlock the MSR 0xE2 register, but now there is a new MSR Unlock Control option under
/Advanced/CPU Configuration/ which can now unlock MSR 3Ah, MSR 0E2h and CSR 80h.

going to try that out right now with a non patched Bios.

Awesome find...
Just updated to the latest Bios, disabled the MSR lock. Reset all my settings.
And voilà, booted perfectly under macos (I always had the TSCSync kernel extension installed)

I wound up with the Lian-Li PC-10NB case. It is designed for a 240mm radiator mounted on the side of the case on a hinged door. I plan on having push-pull Noctua NF-12PWM fans on a Corsair AIO H100i v2. fans will be driven off the motherboard. There really isn't room in this case for the NH-D15S. I would have to use a NH-C14S or BeQuiet Dark Rock TF for air cooling. Ya think the H100i v2 will get the job done? I REALLY need a leak free sealed system instead of a custom loop.

Buying the remaining parts to complete the build tonight.

Answered my own question through Amazon reviews. A lot of people are using the Corsair H100i v2 with i9 processors including the i9-7980xe with no issues and with overclocking. The extra 2 fans will make it that much better. Since the corsair controller only handles 2 fans, I'll route all 4 fans to the motherboard PWM headers. The pump will be hooked directly to the power supply with full power as it regulates itself internally. CorsairLink is useless on a mac.

$1400 for memory, $1250 for the 960 Pro SSD... YIKES! I'm glad I sold my house. This will still cost me half the price of an iMac Pro before I'm done.

Answered my own question through Amazon reviews. A lot of people are using the Corsair H100i v2 with i9 processors including the i9-7980xe with no issues and with overclocking. The extra 2 fans will make it that much better. Since the corsair controller only handles 2 fans, I'll route all 4 fans to the motherboard PWM headers. The pump will be hooked directly to the power supply with full power as it regulates itself internally. CorsairLink is useless on a mac.
There's support on Mac and Linux for the Corsair H100i and the older H115i (not the new pro model).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back