Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
By applying the bios patches from @interferenc posted in KGP's guide, you don't need to use VoodooTSCSync.kext, this is the reason why we all removed it from our EFI folders.

Ahh, I see thanks. I wonder if those patches are better than the MSR unlock method... will give it a try.

Awesome find...
Just updated to the latest Bios, disabled the MSR lock. Reset all my settings.
And voilà, booted perfectly under macos (I always had the TSCSync kernel extension installed)

Cheers! Will give this a try now, just got my VoodooTSCsync configured!

Update: So I've tried all combinations, with VoodooTSCsync.kext installed on unpatched bios and MSR Unlock Disabled, Patched bios with no VoodooTSCsync.kext, patched bios and MSR Unlock Disabled without VoodooTSCsync.kext and with the Kext.

The good news is that all the combinations work with normal os behavior!

The Geekbench tests were roughly the same. in the 5325 and 36608 range not O.C With the Patched Bios And MSR Lock Enabled.

It did spike once by a to 5330 and 36816 but was not replicable after a series of other combination tests.

The Unpatched bios with the Kext installed benched 5341 and 36701.

For now, I've set up the system with VoodooTSCsync.kext installed, but it seems ok to run it with the patched bios and do away with the VoodooTSCsync.kext

Let me know if anybody else can confirm this.

Last edited:
A very nice good evening to all of you...

I am not sure how to start as I am a total newbie to hackintoshing.
Well... first of all please excuse that I am not native english speaker this will lead to some weird wording and a lot of typos ;)
I am totally impressed by the work and effort kgp and all of you have invested. Fantastic job!!

Then I have to apologize for the questions I am going to ask.
I (until now) only managed to read (maybe better to say scan) up to post #5311 and uptown there I did not find the answers I am searching for. Most probably my mistake but I have difficulties to keep up with the information (over)load.

The board I am using (HP has build into) my HP Omen 900-201ng is from HP and running a pretty weird (is castrated an english word?) AMI Bios. Please don't shoot me, this machine was supposed for some other project which did not happen, so I thought I give it a try:lol:.

The good news: Following the guide I am now writing this text on the "iOmenPro" :headbang:
Saying that, thanks to kgp's excellent guide I got the NVIDIA graphics as well as Audio running.
At this moment with OSX 10.13.3 Build 17D2047.

Now I am trying to find out if the MSR 0xe2 register is unlocked or not.
Trying bdmesg gives me:
-bash: bdmesg: command not found

and the voltageshift approach gives me (after asking several times for password):
RDMSR e2 returns value 0x8403

I am honestly confused. Is this only confirming that the register is locked?
As the bios has only very little options (not even any overclocking options) I can't find anything there.
If one of you has an idea to share it with me would be great.

I will keep reading further and hope to learn more.

All the best
Frank

Love the guide!, really excited to get my new 7980xe working! but I am having a few problems. My first question is the section B1. where you patch the mobo you dont say what computer you need to patch on. I just used my real macbook pro. Followed all instructions to patch the MSR 0xE2 register on my x299 deluxe in terminal, and when I put the usb with the patched bios in the usb port and used ex flashback to install bios when I try to install patched bios it says "selected file is not a proper bios! The file is named exactly X299D.CAP. Do you know why this is happening? Thanks so much! Also this is the latest bios 1301.

Love the guide!, really excited to get my new 7980xe working! but I am having a few problems. My first question is the section B1. where you patch the mobo you dont say what computer you need to patch on. I just used my real macbook pro. Followed all instructions to patch the MSR 0xE2 register on my x299 deluxe in terminal, and when I put the usb with the patched bios in the usb port and used ex flashback to install bios when I try to install patched bios it says "selected file is not a proper bios! The file is named exactly X299D.CAP. Do you know why this is happening? Thanks so much! Also this is the latest bios 1301.

Hi giftmusic

If I understand macandrea right, thanthere is no patch required with the new bios 1301.
You can unlock the registers in the bios settings. see posts #6435 and #6439

all the Best
Frank

A very nice good evening to all of you...

I am not sure how to start as I am a total newbie to hackintoshing.
Well... first of all please excuse that I am not native english speaker this will lead to some weird wording and a lot of typos ;)
I am totally impressed by the work and effort kgp and all of you have invested. Fantastic job!!

Then I have to apologize for the questions I am going to ask.
I (until now) only managed to read (maybe better to say scan) up to post #5311 and uptown there I did not find the answers I am searching for. Most probably my mistake but I have difficulties to keep up with the information (over)load.

The board I am using (HP has build into) my HP Omen 900-201ng is from HP and running a pretty weird (is castrated an english word?) AMI Bios. Please don't shoot me, this machine was supposed for some other project which did not happen, so I thought I give it a try:lol:.

The good news: Following the guide I am now writing this text on the "iOmenPro" :headbang:
Saying that, thanks to kgp's excellent guide I got the NVIDIA graphics as well as Audio running.
At this moment with OSX 10.13.3 Build 17D2047.

Now I am trying to find out if the MSR 0xe2 register is unlocked or not.
Trying bdmesg gives me:
-bash: bdmesg: command not found

and the voltageshift approach gives me (after asking several times for password):
RDMSR e2 returns value 0x8403

I am honestly confused. Is this only confirming that the register is locked?
As the bios has only very little options (not even any overclocking options) I can't find anything there.
If one of you has an idea to share it with me would be great.

I will keep reading further and hope to learn more.

All the best
Frank

If you could download the LogicPro and run the HyperThreading test (E.13 on the first page) then MSR 0xe2 register is unlocked. Since your CPU is not OC, maybe you will be able to run 20-25 tracks instead of 30 tracks as the test. Check with HWMonitor (requires some Sensor kext files)/istats menu or Activity Monitor, Tab Window/CPU Usage to see if all your cores firing. Good luck, :thumbup:

Did you do extract step 11 of B1?

11. Connect the USB Drive to the USB-port assigned to the ASUS BIOS Flashback procedure (see your mainboard manual for further details)

Subsequently, press the EZ BIOS-Flashback button on your mainboard for three seconds until the EZ BIOS Flashback led starts blinking, indicating that the EZ BIOS Flashback procedure is in progress. Release the button and wait until the light turns off, indicating that the EZ BIOS Flashback procedure has completed.

Make sure your BIOS Flash Drive is Formatted with FAT32..

If you could download the LogicPro and run the HyperThreading test (E.13 on the first page) then MSR 0xe2 register is unlocked. Since your CPU is not OC, maybe you will be able to run 20-25 tracks instead of 30 tracks as the test. Check with HWMonitor (requires some Sensor kext files)/istats menu or Activity Monitor, Tab Window/CPU Usage to see if all your cores firing. Good luck, :thumbup:

@RuleBreaker01
Unfortunately I had to learn that the CPUSensors.kext is stopping my system from boot.
I guess i have to figure out what I did wrong in the process to get that one working.
what I can say right now, looking at iStat, that all one core is doing most and the others just a tiny bit. But this is only while having netflix running in one brwser window and typing here in the other one :)
That is probably not really pushing the system :lol:

RuleBreaker99
Do I need CPUSensor.kext for the AppleIntelInfo?

Thanks a lot for the help already.
All the Best
Frank

Don't need any sensor kexts for appleintelinfo.
Your other issue...
Some fake SMCs have sensor kexts hiding inside them and some older sensor kexts caused kp on the X299. Some broke the fakeSMC kext. It pays to run the full suite of kexts from the latest HWmonitor to be safe. There's a new HWSensors beta out that runs quite well on this platform. This is the latest fakeSMC with the sensor kexts inside it, works on my rig. Try it if you like.

Thanks a lot pete
I will give it a shot.... later today... as soon as my wife finished watching her favorite series on it :crazy:
I should not have shown her that OSX is running on that machine :lol:

thinking about the whole thing...
Would it be worth to replace the board against some thing reasonable? Just wondering why HP has limited the board to the absolute minimum!?
Do you guys have an advice for a mATX board i should use instead? What i can see the normal ATX does not fit inside the Cube.

All the Best
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back