Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
...also i found a thread in another forum by googling "List of Intel Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Devices" that people seems to try to get this working (not on Hack) as well.

Well it might well be that not all thunderbolt devices properly work with the GC-Titan Ridge or at least not yet..

That's maybe also the reason why in my case the GC-Titan Ridge installation was just plug & play whereas for others this seems not to be the case...

All people here are immediately judging the GC-Titan Ridge, although in reality there might be just some TB device incompatibly with the GC-Titan Ridge causing the issues observed by some of you guys recently .

Last edited:
Be patient, man.. get all set ..

BTW.. Ever thought about some GC-Titan Ridge incompatibly of your TB device? Not necessarily the guilty one must be the TB adaptor.

It certainly is possible. Could be that the drivers are just too recent and need some fixes.

Very weird that my TB screen doesn't work however. Before I didn't have to power the TB card or get it enabled in the BIOS. The TB Apple display always showed something, showing that as far as video signal was concerned it was a simple pass through.
Going to try the card in various slots. The Alpine Ridge card only ever worked nicely in Port 6.

One physical issue with the card, they have put the ports way too much on the side. Once screwed in the case, the slots are right against the edge of the port, so you can never tell if a cable is fully inserted or not as it stops against the case slot

Maybe it just required some warm up? :mrgreen:
I was jokingly thinking the same thing. Some kind of break in period like a car or speakers. Ha!
Now more seriously.. did you ever return to Windows in the meanwhile? Maybe it received the missing initialisation or it just settled while using it repeatedly under macOS.. Let's see about Day 4.. ;)
No, I haven't gone into Windows since the initial initialization. I'm at a complete loss for the differences each day.
But so far, I like your Day 3.. I knew that it is going to work.. :headbang:

Anything else would have been totally illogical when compared with my own results.. Moreover as our system are nearly identical and your system configuration was totally fine from the very beginning.

I just hope it keeps working the way it is now. There's definitely something strange about the card I think since mm2margaret was having the same issue as me. Maybe there is some kind of break in period...

BTW.. Ever thought about some GC-Titan Ridge incompatibly of your TB device? Not necessarily the guilty one must be the TB adaptor.

I notice that the driver on Windows no longer have the option "Only allow Thunderbolt Devices that have been certified for PC"

none of the Apple's Thunderbolt peripherals are... Maybe that's why the few I tried don't work at all.
And the Pegasus is miss and go.

I installed Linux kernel 4.8.10 which is supposed to have the Titan drivers, however, the card doesn't even appear with a lspci...
Must be my ASRock that doesn't like this GB card, what a shame

@kgp Ill keep trying and will update with any progress.
@flmmkr I have that exact same issue ill try that setting and see if it fixes it, but the issue still remains that the Bios doesn't see the card.
I don't think you'll actually see the card in the BIOS. Just set the settings according to the post #1 and save the changes. At least that's how it is for Asus. Maybe Gigabyte motherboards are different.

I don't think you'll actually see the card in the BIOS. Just set the settings according to the post #1 and save the changes. At least that's how it is for Asus. Maybe Gigabyte motherboards are different.
Gigabyte BIOS only shows the Thunderbolt entry if it detects a Thunderbolt card present... Card must be connected, and with the THB_C cable attached. Otherwise, no BIOS entry

I notice that the driver on Windows no longer have the option "Only allow Thunderbolt Devices that have been certified for PC"

none of the Apple's Thunderbolt peripherals are... Maybe that's why the few I tried don't work at all.
And the Pegasus is miss and go.

I installed Linux kernel 4.8.10 which is supposed to have the Titan drivers, however, the card doesn't even appear with a lspci...
Must be my ASRock that doesn't like this GB card, what a shame

It even worked on my old X99-A II mainboard apart from the persistent USB2.0 issue.

Just keep on trying and don't loose all hope right at the beginning.. ;)

Good luck anyway.. Hope to see some success at your side tomorrow..

I was jokingly thinking the same thing. Some kind of break in period like a car or speakers. Ha!

No, I haven't gone into Windows since the initial initialization. I'm at a complete loss for the differences each day.

I just hope it keeps working the way it is now. There's definitely something strange about the card I think since mm2margaret was having the same issue as me. Maybe there is some kind of break in period...

Perhaps, but right now I have work I must get done. So, for me, I can't wait around for long periods of time while I spend hours (and I did spend hours, many hours) waiting for this card to stabilize. Perhaps if I were rich and not under a deadline, I could assign this card to some other system and play with it over time, but I do not have that luxury right now. Maybe later.

My main issue with this card is how erratic it was and how unstable it made my system. That's something I can't afford right now - and I hope for those who can afford it and who have time, all the best, and I hope you get it straightened out. I really do.

It even worked on my old X99-A II mainboard apart from the persistent USB2.0 issue.

Just keep on trying and don't loose all hope right at the beginning.. ;)

Good luck anyway.. Hope to see some success at your side tomorrow..
So I've made some progress after reading in the eGPU forum that someone got it working just fine on an AMD machine, that didn't even support TB to start with.
With THB_C cable disconnected et TB3 disabled in the BIOS, I can reliably see the devices in the thunderbolt utity. Can hotplug just fine. However, none of those devices are functional. They don't even appear in the hardware manager.
It shows that the TB3 needs permission, which I have set. It's 2AM here, will continue tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back