Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which version of Geekbench and are you overclocked?
Geekbench 4.whatever-the-latest-version-is. Not overclocked, just Sync All Cores. My BIOS settings are a few pages back.

Without connecting the USB2.0 cable, USB-C won't work at all. But you should be able to achieve TB HotPlug as I also did with my X99-A II.

If thats the case i might need to shelf or return the Titan Ridge and just use Alpine Ridge, as USB support is needed to run the Thunderbolt display.

If thats the case i might need to shelf or return the Titan Ridge and just use Alpine Ridge, as USB support is needed to run the Thunderbolt display.

Just try please, but I guess it will be the case. Let me know about your findings anyway..

Good luck!

Tested in High Sierra and Mojave. Both are working on boot up and hot-plugging of both TB and USB-C devices. I didn't change anything with my configuration, except switched from NvidiaGraphicsFixup to WhateverGreen, but I don't think that should have an effect on it.

Day 1: Devices don't hot-plug, but work if connected and on at boot up.
Day 2: Devices don't work if turned on and connected at boot up, but hot-plug works.
Day 3: Everything works, both boot-up and hot-plugging.

????? Doesn't really make much sense, right?. ?????

Reactions: kgp

Try your BIOS settings. At first my PSU fan would stay on even if the computer was off, and even if I switched the PSU off completely and then turned it back on. I found enabling ErP Ready with S4 state prevented the PSU fan from remaining on when the computer was off.

Last edited:
Tested in High Sierra and Mojave. Both are working on boot up and hot-plugging of both TB and USB-C devices. I didn't change anything with my configuration, except switched from NvidiaGraphicsFixup to WhateverGreen, but I don't think that should have an effect on it.

Day 1: Devices don't hot-plug, but work if connected and on at boot up.
Day 2: Devices don't work if turned on and connected at boot up, but hot-plug works.
Day 3: Everything works, both boot-up and hot-plugging.

????? Doesn't really make much sense, right?. ?????

Maybe it just required some warm up? :mrgreen:

Now more seriously.. did you ever return to Windows in the meanwhile? Maybe it received the missing initialisation or it just settled while using it repeatedly under macOS.. Let's see about Day 4.. ;)

But so far, I like your Day 3.. I knew that it is going to work.. :headbang:

Anything else would have been totally illogical when compared with my own results.. Moreover as our system are nearly identical and your system configuration was totally fine from the very beginning.

Well, the Titan is a bit of a disaster.
Got it all plugged in, boot into windows, install drivers: no TB. That's fine it typically happens that way things work once plugged in after a reboot.
Reboot, plug TB device nothing.
Shut-down, remove the card, check all connectors. Restart, no TB. Unplug TB device, replug. No TB. Reset bios settings,
Force uninstall drivers, re-install. Reboot plug device. Do that for about 1h.
Removed vidéo card. Reboot. Plug TB:
Oh prompt to authorise TB device. Allow. Device works. Unplug device, replug: no TB.
Boot under macos, it sees the card and the USB host port. Plug a USB, nothing and no TB.
Reboot under Windows. TB device is there (pegasus promise 2) however, my Apple TB1 device no longer work. Apple TB display show nothing, while with the Alpine Bridge even if the TB part didn't work, at least I got something on the display. Always.

So TB card doesn't st like hotplug on Windows, very capricious. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
115 euros wasted so far...

@kgp Ill keep trying and will update with any progress.
@flmmkr I have that exact same issue ill try that setting and see if it fixes it, but the issue still remains that the Bios doesn't see the card.

Well, the Titan is a bit of a disaster.
Got it all plugged in, boot into windows, install drivers: no TB. That's fine it typically happens that way things work once plugged in after a reboot.
Reboot, plug TB device nothing.
Shut-down, remove the card, check all connectors. Restart, no TB. Unplug TB device, replug. No TB. Reset bios settings,
Force uninstall drivers, re-install. Reboot plug device. Do that for about 1h.
Removed vidéo card. Reboot. Plug TB:
Oh prompt to authorise TB device. Allow. Device works. Unplug device, replug: no TB.
Boot under macos, it sees the card and the USB host port. Plug a USB, nothing and no TB.
Reboot under Windows. TB device is there (pegasus promise 2) however, my Apple TB1 device no longer work. Apple TB display show nothing, while with the Alpine Bridge even if the TB part didn't work, at least I got something on the display. Always.

So TB card doesn't st like hotplug on Windows, very capricious. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
115 euros wasted so far...

Be patient, man.. get all set and wait with your judgements and comments. I am tired about all people just permanently complaining..

I really don't know why all of you are facing that many problems. For me it was really plug & play...

For @flmmkr, the GC-Titan Ridge is already working as expected and it will also in your case. If it does not, there is likely some incompatibility with your ASRock mainboard, which I doubt..

Just be patient man.. and don't claim yet that the adopter was a waste of 115 Euros just after playing a couple of hours to make it work..

If you don't like it simply return it... nor risk or reason to waste any money..

In any case ... at first place make it properly work under windows! Then we talk about macOS..

BTW.. Ever thought about some GC-Titan Ridge incompatibly of your TB device? Not necessarily the guilty one must be the TB adaptor.

Last edited:
...also i found a thread in another forum by googling "List of Intel Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Devices" that people seems to try to get this working (not on Hack) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back