Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just making sure. Why do you have it disabled on your system, but in the guide it says it should be enabled?

I don’t control and permanently check any word of my guide. It might remain from the very beginning. Fact is that I dont’ use EIST.

So, perhaps people missed when I posted yesterday about the Gigabyte Titan Ridge card how erratic it's performance was, particularly in Windows, where it should have worked just fine. I think I've said that there was something with this card, the card itself, is troubling. While indeed it may work for kgp, it may later prove to be troublesome.

I just wonder if a more mature firmware of the card might make it more reliable, more stable and more functional. I am going to wait for another version of the Titan Ridge card because I think this TTR card/chip needs some age.

I'm just going to add one more thought about the GC Titan Ridge card: POWER. This card requires almost as much power connection as my Sapphire Nitro Vega card! Is it possible that you might have to have a 1200 watt power supply or greater to make it work properly? Perhaps this tiny card draws as much power as a secondary Graphics card?

Just because there are 2 power connectors doesn't mean it uses the same amount of power as a GPU. The power is likely for each Thunderbolt connector to supply power to Thunderbolt devices. Those won't consume that much power. It would have been a better design to split the power internally and have just one power connector, but oh well.

The card indeed is odd. I couldn't get it to show in my bios at all. Don't know maybe i got a faulty card. The only thing it does it turns on my CPU fan as soon as i plug in the USB 2 connector.

I don’t control and permanently check any word of my guide. It might remain from the very beginning. Fact is that I dont’ use EIST.

Honestly I don't know what it is or what the benefits are. Why would we want it enabled and why would we want it disabled? I doing mostly video and sound editing work, and I don't know if that matters or not.

I'm simply reporting my experience and observations. I haven't drawn any conclusions other than the card is behaving oddly, which is a true statement. One day it won't hot-plug but works with the device already on and connected on boot up. The next day it's the opposite with it working with hot-plugging only with no changes made to the system. That is odd behavior, no?

Don't be so defensive. You are the only person here who has the card working flawlessly. We're trying to figure out why it's not working flawlessly for us.

I am neither defensive nor offensive.. I was just happy that HotPlug suddenly works on your system, which shows that one should not draw too early conclusions.

Don't take everything I say as a defence or offence.

Everything cool, man.

Honestly I don't know what it is or what the benefits are. Why would we want it enabled and why would we want it disabled? I doing mostly video and sound editing work, and I don't know if that matters or not.

Neither do I. It was just a comment that you have it enabled and I don't. On X99 boards it was always a must to have it disabled.

The card indeed is odd. I couldn't get it to show in my bios at all. Don't know maybe i got a faulty card. The only thing it does it turns on my CPU fan as soon as i plug in the USB 2 connector.

Yea.. you can't connect the USB header with the onboard header of X99 systems, something I mentioned already repetitively. Don't ask me why.. The problem does not occur with X299 boards.

I am neither defensive nor offensive.. I was just happy that HotPlug suddenly works on your system, which shows that one should not draw too early conclusions.

Don't take everything I say as a defence or offence.

Everything cool, man.

Ok cool. Hot-plugging is working, but the drive won't mount on boot-up. Only when hot-plugged. So it's still not working properly.

Neither do I. It was just a comment that you have it enabled and I don't. On X99 boards it was always a must to have it disabled.

I researched it. It basically throttles the CPU cycles down when in low use. Saves power, lowers heat when idling, etc. I'm leaving it on since I haven't had any issues with it and normally Macs do takes advantage of it.

Ok cool. Hot-plugging is working, but the drive won't mount on boot-up. Only when hot-plugged. So it's still not working properly.

yes .. it is still not properly working on your system.. but something changed and improved .. right?

and here everything works properly, thus I still hope that you will also finally achieve 100% HotPlug functionality on your own system. ;):thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back