Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should enable and properly configure onboard audio including the respective SSDT-HDEF.aml, even if you don‘t use it in reality. A working HDEF onboard audio configuration is a mandatory and necessary ingredient for any succesfull GPU GFX0 and HDAU configuration.
What are the downsides, of not having this?

You should enable and properly configure onboard audio including the respective SSDT-HDEF.aml, even if you don‘t use it in reality. A working HDEF onboard audio configuration is a mandatory and necessary ingredient for any succesfull GPU GFX0 and HDAU configuration.

What are the downsides, of not having this?

I'm curious too, as I don't have onboard audio implemented either :crazy:

I'm curious too, as I don't have onboard audio implemented either :crazy:

@nachosband , @dk1306 ,

I already explained the downsides in my previous post. But if necessary, here once more:

The HDEF onboard audio implementation is absolutely mandatory for the HDAU HDMI/DP digital audio implementation of your GPU, independent from being ATI or Nvidia.

Moreover, SSDT-X299-Vega.aml or SSDT-X299-Nvidia.aml require SSDT-HDEF.aml and would not work without the latter AML, as there are dependencies with SSDT-HDEF.aml.

To use SSDT-X299-Vega.aml or SSDT-X299-Nvidia.aml without SSDT-HDEF.aml, when needs to remove the entire HDAU device implementation and all HDEF dependencies in the GFX0 device implementation from SSDT-X299-Vega.aml or SSDT-X299-Nvidia.aml.

Is that clear enough? :rolleyes:

Anyway I do not understand what is the problem in enabling and properly configuring the onboard audio chipset, even one would not use it later on? I would do it already just for the sake of gaining a complete system configuration.

One would disable onboard BT and WIFI (not working anyway with OSX), as the onboard chipset and related ARPT implementation would possibly interfere with the ARPT implementation of the BT/WIFI PCIe Adapter solution..

But the onboard audio solution would interfere with what? One always has the possibility to select and implement the audio device of his choice from the audio menu bar options..:rolleyes:

@nachosband , @dk1306 ,

I already explained the downsides in my previous post. But if necessary, here once more:

The HDEF onboard audio implementation is absolutely mandatory for the HDAU HDMI/DP digital audio implementation of your GPU, independent from being ATI or Nvidia.

Moreover, SSDT-X299-Vega.aml or SSDT-X299-Nvidia.aml require SSDT-HDEF.aml and would not work without the latter AML, as there are dependencies with SSDT-HDEF.aml.

To use SSDT-X299-Vega.aml or SSDT-X299-Nvidia.aml without SSDT-HDEF.aml, when needs to remove the entire HDAU device implementation and all HDEF dependencies in the GFX0 device implementation from SSDT-X299-Vega.aml or SSDT-X299-Nvidia.aml.

Is that clear enough? :rolleyes:

Anyway I do not understand what is the problem in enabling and properly configuring the onboard audio chipset, even one would not use it later on? I would do it already just for the sake of gaining a complete system configuration.

One would disable onboard BT and WIFI (not working anyway with OSX), as the onboard chipset and related ARPT implementation would possibly interfere with the ARPT implementation of the BT/WIFI PCIe Adapter solution..

But the onboard audio solution would interfere with what? One always has the possibility to select and implement the audio device of his choice from the audio menu bar options..:rolleyes:

Clear as crystal, thank you for your detailed answer, I really appreciate it.

I actually had it successfully implemented and working and I removed it just to have a cleaner list of available audio devices within audio specific applications (Pro Tools, Logic, Live, etc...).

It didn't occur to me I could be messing with another implementation, I'll be enabling onboard audio right away.

Thank you again!

Reactions: kgp
Clear as crystal, thank you for your detailed answer, I really appreciate it.

I actually had it successfully implemented and working and I removed it just to have a cleaner list of available audio devices within audio specific applications (Pro Tools, Logic, Live, etc...).

It didn't occur to me I could be messing with another implementation, I'll be enabling onboard audio right away.

Thank you again!

You are welcome. Glad to clarify doubts and questions.

That's interesting...
To clarify: that would only be true for macOS, and not for a dual-boot PC also capable of running a Windows operating system, correct?
So that: the motherboard's Realtek audio [as well as the on-board Intel audio & video, if the CPU has those capabilities] can be optionally disabled in bios setup, yet still retain working audio & video via a video card's Display Port or HDMI port (when running an operating system other than macOS)?
If so, then maybe for a dual-boot macOS/Windows system that: further work (on the macOS side) may be needed to regain better dual-boot configuration "symmetry", so to speak.
So that: bios configuration settings could all remain the same, regardless of the particular operating system.

That's interesting...
To clarify: that would only be true for macOS, and not for a dual-boot PC also capable of running a Windows operating system, correct?
So that: the motherboard's Realtek audio [as well as the on-board Intel audio & video, if the CPU has those capabilities] can be optionally disabled in bios setup, yet still retain working audio & video via a video card's Display Port or HDMI port (when running an operating system other than macOS)?
If so, then maybe for a dual-boot macOS/Windows system that: further work (on the macOS side) may be needed to regain better dual-boot configuration "symmetry", so to speak.
So that: bios configuration settings could all remain the same, regardless of the particular operating system.

I don‘t understand why one ever would like to disable onboard audio, and no, I don‘t know any detail about the respective windows audio environment.

However as soon one writes HDEF, GFX0 and HDAU SSDTs, one rapidly witnesses their dependence from each other.

Hi @rawx
This is almost how I did it. Only I used AVX-512:4 and AVX:3
The way I understand it (might be wrong):
Those vales are factors used to reduce the (turbo??)clock for AVX commands.
It seems AVX commands are very power-hungry (and therefor heat the CPU)
I still did not understand how this leads to KPs but I keep reading and learning ;)

All the Best
Frank

Sure, but again: AVX-512 is more CPU intensive so the value should always be higher then the value vor standard AVX.

As example :
AVX - 3
AVX-512 - 4

If your CPU is overclocked to 4.8 GHz, it will clock to 4.5GHz as soon as a AVX Applikation will be used.

4.4 GHz If you use AVX-512

Thanks for you help,

Before I reading your answers, I had set up:

AVX: 4
AVX-512: 3

I work since few days with this config and no freeze anymore (I have 7940X single-core: 5480 multi-core: 52536, with a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3).

So, should I still set :

AVX: 4
AVX-512: 5

or

AVX: 2
AVX-512: 3

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back