Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries! Nobody is perfect.. ;):lol:

Glad to help!

Hope the new EFI-Folder will work..

Just an update. Everything is working now as intended. I updated to 10.13.6 and everything seems great. I still need to do some tests, but that'll have to wait for Monday.

Reactions: kgp
Hey guys, I've been at this for a few hours and I think I need a sanity check more than anything else. I'm able to get into BIOS, and set things per kgp's ASUS configuration. The Clover launcher comes up, but attempting to enter the High Sierra installer results in this screen:

Q5geCIr.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I feel like I'm missing something simple. My config file is attached, can anyone take a look and see what foolishness I've unleashed on myself? Thank you!

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.3 KB · Views: 142
837D880F 0F83A704 0000 837D880F 90909090 9090 10.13.6 USB Port Limit Patch
I have this one from your guide. How can I adopt it?

If you want to explicitly define the number of available USB ports try the following...

Instead of using:

837D880F 0F83A704 0000 -> 837D880F 90909090 9090

use:

837D880F 0F83A704 0000 -> 837D88xx 90909090 9090

with 0F being the HEX number corresponding to decimal 15 and xx being a place holder to be replaced with the HEX equivalent of the decimal number of available ports.

Example:

Imagine you would like to allow 22 ports instead of 15 ports, the USB port limit patch would be:

837D880F 0F83A704 0000 -> 837D8816 90909090 9090

with 0F being the HEX number corresponding to decimal 15 and 16 being the HEX number corresponding to decimal 22...

Does that work?

Well seems it does not.. at least not on my system.. I always get boot error of clearing bits of unused ports 22 to 26..

However this error is rather a cosmetic error during boot than it would affect the overall USB functionality..

Even @PMHeart does currently not know any solution for this cosmetic error caused by the actual port limit patch..

Thus, try to fix the port limit patch by yourself or leave everything as implemented and close your eyes during verbose boot at the respective position of the error. ;)

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Could you suggest me how to try another values please ? I read some thread on AVX, but I still don't totally understand how it works...

Could I tried "AVX: 4 AVX-512: 3" for example ? And increase progressively ?

Thank you,

Sure, but again: AVX-512 is more CPU intensive so the value should always be higher then the value vor standard AVX.

As example :
AVX - 3
AVX-512 - 4

If your CPU is overclocked to 4.8 GHz, it will clock to 4.5GHz as soon as a AVX Applikation will be used.

4.4 GHz If you use AVX-512

Hey guys, I've been at this for a few hours and I think I need a sanity check more than anything else. I'm able to get into BIOS, and set things per kgp's ASUS configuration. The Clover launcher comes up, but attempting to enter the High Sierra installer results in this screen:

Q5geCIr.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I feel like I'm missing something simple. My config file is attached, can anyone take a look and see what foolishness I've unleashed on myself? Thank you!

I mean... do you guys read my guide and the related posts along this thread at all? Just few posts before there was one guy with the same issue.

BTW.. what should I do with your config.plist? Is it that costive to provide your complete EFI-Folder?

Anyway.. maybe once more for the hundred and fiftieth time:

Did you add a properly adopted TSCAdjustReset.kext to your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ directory?

Did you disable MSR Lock in your Mainboard BIOS?

And for all non-ASUS board users: Did you add boot flag npci=0x2000?

How many times I still have to provide the same answers to the same user errors?

Is it really that intellectually demanding to apply these 3 simple additional steps to an else OOB working EFI-Folder distribution?

Cheers and good luck,

KGP

Last edited:
Hey man, thanks for the kext, but I still have "AppleUSBXHCI::interruptOccurred: clearing change bits on unused port 18-26"
You can clearly see, that the kext is loaded (screenshot attached)
I also have:
HID: Legacy shim 2
HID: Legacy shim 2

Do you know what it is?
Maybe I did something wrong with PCI implementation, can you take a look by chance(also attached)?
btw XHC4 is my PCI add in card: inateck kt4004, which works oob

My Device id in RP05 and RP09 are different and I do not see your audio implemented.
the Device THSS I think we do not use it, I do not see it in ioreg.
I pass my ssdt of my configuration.
I do not have any error, also check that it is not a USB hub that may be damaged

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml
    4.3 KB · Views: 89
My Device id in RP05 and RP09 are different and I do not see your audio implemented.
I do not have any error, also check that it is not a USB hub that may be damaged

@xerox24

1.) You might find the same cosmetic USB complains during boot we all have.. see post #10470. However, with respect to the all over USB functionally, they are just meaningless ..
2.) Try to implement SSDT-THSS.aml and you should find the respective device in IOREG..
3.) btw.. following repetitive user request, SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml has been recently split into a set of device specific SSDTs... This just to keep you up-to-date with the actual SSDT development.

All the best,

KGP

Last edited:
If you want to explicitly define the number of available USB ports try the following...

Instead of using:

837D880F 0F83A704 0000 -> 837D880F 90909090 9090

use:

837D880F 0F83A704 0000 -> 837D88xx 90909090 9090

with 0F being the HEX number corresponding to decimal 15 and xx being a place holder to be replaced with the HEX equivalent of the decimal number of available ports.

Example:

Imagine you would like to allow 22 ports instead of 15 ports, the USB port limit patch would be:

837D880F 0F83A704 0000 -> 837D8816 90909090 9090

with 0F being the HEX number corresponding to decimal 15 and 16 being the HEX number corresponding to decimal 22...

Does that work?

Well seems it does not.. at least not on my system.. I always get boot error of clearing bits of unused ports 22 to 26..

However this error is rather a cosmetic error during boot than it would affect the overall USB functionality..

Even @PMHeart does currently not know any solution for this cosmetic error caused by the actual port limit patch..

Thus, try to fix the port limit patch by yourself or leave everything as implemented and close your eyes during verbose boot at the respective position of the error. ;)

Cheers,

KGP
thanks man, now things get more clearer for me.

thanks you so much, I've corrected my deice ids.
You're right I didn't implement audio on purpose, and disabled it in bios, because I don't use it.
I have my RME Babyface Pro (Audio Interface) and it works perfectly, since I'm mixing and mastering music on the machine.
I implemented THSS, because @kgp suggested it and in Windows report I also see
Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family Thermal subsystem - A2B1. So why not have it in macOS even it's just cosmetics.

Regarding HID: Legacy shim 2:
I've disconnected all USB hubs and devices, but still get it on boot. I'll leave it for now, since it seems to me also just cosmetics.

Anyway my system is running very stable and smooth, thanks to you guys.

thanks you so much, I've corrected my deice ids.
You're right I didn't implement audio on purpose, and disabled it in bios, because I don't use it.
I have my RME Babyface Pro (Audio Interface) and it works perfectly, since I'm mixing and mastering music on the machine.
I implemented THSS, because @kgp suggested it and in Windows report I also see
Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family Thermal subsystem - A2B1. So why not have it in macOS even it's just cosmetics.

Regarding HID: Legacy shim 2:
I've disconnected all USB hubs and devices, but still get it on boot. I'll leave it for now, since it seems to me also just cosmetics.

Anyway my system is running very stable and smooth, thanks to you guys.

You should enable and properly configure onboard audio including the respective SSDT-HDEF.aml, even if you don‘t use it in reality. A working HDEF onboard audio configuration is a mandatory and necessary ingredient for any succesfull GPU GFX0 and HDAU configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back