Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M
CPU
i3-9100F
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
hello,
I have some trouble with the new HighSierra 10.13.
My System:
Gigabyte GA EX58 UD4P
Intel i7 920
Nvidia GTX 760

The problem is, that my harddrives are not recognized when they are connected via SATA.
The problem started with formatting the drives with diskutility booted from bootstick. After two wasted days of experimenting and 15€ for the adapter I found out, that with a USB-SATA adapter it is possible. So, SSD erased, formatted, OS installed. Everything smooth. Then I changed language to german and it updated the OS to 10.13.3. I connected it to a SATA Port and I could not enter the OS. All the time this prohibited sign.
Meanwhile I found out, that it works only, if I boot Clover from USB Bootstick and the SSD has to be connected via the usb adapter. In this case, when it works I see the Drive in Clover as this round symbol.
If the SSD is connected to a SATA Port I see it as HFS drive in clover.( this grey drive image) it boots clover, login and after login at 3/4loading bar it stops at „HID legacy shim 2“ or „usbmsc Identifier(non-unique)...“
If I connect the SSD via adapter to USB I get to the login screen and after login it stops with the error that a image is not found. This error occurs in every case, but it just continues.

I tried installing HighSierra on another SSD and I have exactly the same problem there..
I added the Lilu.kext and Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext updates successful after I found a way to boot like I explained already.
It did not fix my problem.

I also tried a different graphiccard and all different SATA and USB ports, without any changes of the problem.

Does anybody know, what I‘ve done wrong? Or is my Mainboard good enough for HighSierra? Because I have only SATA II.

If you need any additional information, I will add it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

hello,
I have some trouble with the new HighSierra 10.13.
My System:
Gigabyte GA EX58 UD4P
Intel i7 920
Nvidia GTX 760

The problem is, that my harddrives are not recognized when they are connected via SATA.
The problem started with formatting the drives with diskutility booted from bootstick. After two wasted days of experimenting and 15€ for the adapter I found out, that with a USB-SATA adapter it is possible. So, SSD erased, formatted, OS installed. Everything smooth. Then I changed language to german and it updated the OS to 10.13.3. I connected it to a SATA Port and I could not enter the OS. All the time this prohibited sign.
Meanwhile I found out, that it works only, if I boot Clover from USB Bootstick and the SSD has to be connected via the usb adapter. In this case, when it works I see the Drive in Clover as this round symbol.
If the SSD is connected to a SATA Port I see it as HFS drive in clover.( this grey drive image) it boots clover, login and after login at 3/4loading bar it stops at „HID legacy shim 2“ or „usbmsc Identifier(non-unique)...“
If I connect the SSD via adapter to USB I get to the login screen and after login it stops with the error that a image is not found. This error occurs in every case, but it just continues.

I tried installing HighSierra on another SSD and I have exactly the same problem there..
I added the Lilu.kext and Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext updates successful after I found a way to boot like I explained already.
It did not fix my problem.

I also tried a different graphiccard and all different SATA and USB ports, without any changes of the problem.

Does anybody know, what I‘ve done wrong? Or is my Mainboard good enough for HighSierra? Because I have only SATA II.

If you need any additional information, I will add it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• The "hard disks are not recognized" by what?
  • Are you saying you could not find the SSD when your USB installer reached the Disk Utility Screen and launched DU to partition and format the SSD and the SSD was a No Show?
After two wasted days of experimenting and 15€ for the adapter I found out, that with a USB-SATA adapter it is possible. So, SSD erased, formatted, OS installed. Everything smooth.
  • This procedure for all practical purposes is making the SATA hard disk a USB external disk.
  • The Clover bootloader considers this new System SSD, simply as a USB Disk .
  • If you connect such a system SSD to a SATA port on the Motherboard and try to boot that disk, CLOVER bootloader in it will find no disk in USB port, and will show the infamous "Prohibit" symbol on screen .
  • If you can clarify the first portion of your post a little bit and affirm it was as I interpreted, your choice is to make the SSD 'visible' in Disk Utility Screen

• That can be done by clicking "View" on the menubar and then click and place [√] "Show All Devices ".
    • The SSD will show up for you to format.

• If you have difficulty locating"View" menu in that screen , you can simply press the "Windows" key [CMD key] and 2 (not F2) and you would have made [√]Show All Devices" and your SSD will show up.

Sorry for the inproper explanation and thanks for the fast reply

• The "hard disks are not recognized" by what?
  • Are you saying you could not find the SSD when your USB installer reached the Disk Utility Screen and launched DU to partition and format the SSD and the SSD was a No Show?

I mean, that the drive is shown as SSD but it says undetected or uninitialized. When formatting the drive it gives the error:“can’t write to the last block of the device“
I have tried everything, until I had the USB adapter idea, which worked out until the next problem occured.

Sorry for the inproper explanation and thanks for the fast reply

I mean, that the drive is shown as SSD but it says undetected or uninitialized. When formatting the drive it gives the error:“can’t write to the last block of the device“
I have tried everything, until I had the USB adapter idea, which worked out until the next problem occured.
  • Unfortunately your solution makes the SATA disk a USB External disk and that will be dead slow if you connect it as a USB device using the SATA to USB adapter and keep it outside.
  • Once you connect that to SATA port as an Internal Drive CLOVER won't find it as it is looking for a USB device Not SATA as it was made that way .

• You may try this as test if you have another SATA spin disk (less expensive):
    • Connect that to the SATA port you have this SSD in .
    • Boot the previously created and working USB installer to reach Installation Screen.
    • DO NOT select Disk Utility, but click Utility>Terminal instead.
    • On Terminal type in : diskutil list [ENTER]
    • From the output locate your Target Hard disk
    • Note its IDENTIFIER in the last Column . it may be something like disk0 [this may vary with your disk attachment to SATA port]
    • Next type the following command to Partition and Format
    • diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 GPT JHFS+ Highsierra 0b. [0 =zero as in disk0); instead of Highsierra, you can type any name you want to call your formatted disk.]
    • Wintin 2 minutes your disk will be partitioned and formatted
    • Exit out of Terminal and go to macOS installation option >Agree to license>Select Highsierra disk >Start installation >2-4 reboots > always press F12 to select your USB installer and then select your target System disk to boot until the Recovery Disk is added to the icons on CBM screen
    • Finally boot the System Disk for the last time to enter the Set up screen for Language and region> Apple Account>Login Credentials>iCloud> Desktop>Keyboard> Clover and Kexts on the new System Disk >reboot once again through USB to CBM >System Disk to Login with new Login name and Password> Eject the USB installer.

• Unfortunately your solution makes the SATA disk a USB External disk and that will be dead slow if you connect it as a USB device using the SATA to USB adapter and keep it outside.
  • Once you connect that to SATA port as an Internal Drive CLOVER won't find it as it is looking for a USB device Not SATA as it was made that way .
  • You may try this as test if you have another SATA spin disk (less expensive):
    • Connect that to the SATA port you have this SSD in .
    • Boot the previously created and working USB installer to reach Installation Screen.
    • DO NOT select Disk Utility, but click Utility>Terminal instead.
    • On Terminal type in : diskutil list [ENTER]
    • From the output locate your Target Hard disk
    • Note its IDENTIFIER in the last Column . it may be something like disk0 [this may vary with your disk attachment to SATA port]
    • Next type the following command to Partition and Format
    • diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 GPT JHFS+ Highsierra 0b. [0 =zero as in disk0); instead of Highsierra, you can type any name you want to call your formatted disk.]
    • Wintin 2 minutes your disk will be partitioned and formatted
    • Exit out of Terminal and go to macOS installation option >Agree to license>Select Highsierra disk >Start installation >2-4 reboots > always press F12 to select your USB installer and then select your target System disk to boot until the Recovery Disk is added to the icons on CBM screen
    • Finally boot the System Disk for the last time to enter the Set up screen for Language and region> Apple Account>Login Credentials>iCloud> Desktop>Keyboard> Clover and Kexts on the new System Disk >reboot once again through USB to CBM >System Disk to Login with new Login name and Password> Eject the USB installer.

Thanks, I didn‘t know, that I can access the terminal this way. I tried your command with the systemanswer:“does not appear to be a whole disk“

Other commands like erase also dont work. It told me that bootdisk cant be erased though I booted the stick..
maybe my Mobo messed something up.
I will continue research tomorrow.

Is it normal, that diskutil list shows 17 Diskimages?

Do you have an idea?

Thanks, I didn‘t know, that I can access the terminal this way. I tried your command with the systemanswer:“does not appear to be a whole disk“

Other commands like erase also dont work. It told me that bootdisk cant be erased though I booted the stick..
maybe my Mobo messed something up.
I will continue research tomorrow.

Is it normal, that diskutil list shows 17 Diskimages?

Do you have an idea?
  • Did you try this on your failed SSD instead of a blank Spindisk as suggested?
    • You might have Formatted your SSD in APFS.
  • Pease affirm whether my assumption is Right or Wrong.

Certain SATA controllers have issues with AppleAHCIPort v329 (eg ICH10, 5 series, 7 series, ASMedia 1061)
Disks may fail to initialize, not readable or hot plug may fail.

I tried it with another SSD that I used for another test installation of HighSierra.
Yes, I have the drives formatted to APFS.

So, I tried without success.

Do you mean, that a HDD should work? I read a post of soneone , who said, that 3 of his 4 SSDs did not work.
So I tried my HDD, but it looks the same like the SSDs.
But: my SSD with the adapter does that too, until I format it. So, is there a great chance that HDDs work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back