Register

Help me! Disk Utility in installer not recognize my SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Intel Pentium E5300
Graphics
Nvidia 9500Gt
I just create a USB bootable to install OS X Sierra. When I go to Disk Utility to format my SATA, it not appear on the list althought I set my SATA in AHCI mode. Anyone help me please?
Sorry for my worse English

I just create a USB bootable to install OS X Sierra. When I go to Disk Utility to format my SATA, it not appear on the list althought I set my SATA in AHCI mode. Anyone help me please?
iveSorry for my worse English

Ive got the same problem. ill let you know when i figure out.

Sorry for my worse English
Your hardware SPECS are incomplete. No Motherboard Make and Model specified. Please update your Profile through "Rules" menu on the top menu bar of this page. That helps us a lot to find the cause of your problem to assist you.
  • If you have not already done that, reboot and enter the BIOS setup and check whether your SATA HDD is still seen listed as one of the SATA hdds.
  • If you have more than one SATA devices connected to your System, it is best to shut down, turn power off , and disconnect the Power cable from all EXCEPT the SATA HDD that you intend to install SIERRA on. Then turn PWR on, reboot >BIOS setup> make sure your Target HDD is still visible , your USB Sierra installer is First boot , all your BIOS settings required for Sierra install exactly the way it should be and then F-10 >to boot >Hotkey [Ex F12/F11] Select your USB Installer to reach the Clover Boot Manager screen. Verify your Clover boot flags under "Options"> Boot Args: and then boot and reach Login screen to see if Utilities>Diskutility can find your SATA HDD.

I though i gave my info last night but umm... maybe more coffee was required.. i5-6600 with HD 530 onboard graphics, Gigabyte H170N-WIFI, Samsung 850 EVO-500g, iMagic Case and Silverstone 300 w power supply!
Sorry my friend, I did not mean you, I was answering the original poster of the problem. You don't need any more coffee nor do I need new pair of glasses:lol:.
Since you had the identical Installation issue, if you haven't already found a different and easier solution, you may try the above steps and report if the method was helpful. Good luck

Sorry my friend, I did not mean you, I was answering the original poster of the problem. You don't need any more coffee nor do I need new pair of glasses:lol:.
Since you had the identical Installation issue, if you haven't already found a different and easier solution, you may try the above steps and report if the method was helpful. Good luck

Ha! I can't see my SATA period! Newbie question : does the data drive need to be formatted before being installed into the hackintosh ?

Ha! I can't see my SATA period! Newbie question : does the data drive need to be formatted before being installed into the hackintosh ?

You need a SATA drive connected and Powered to the MoBo in the Computer and the Motherboard BIOS detected and displayed that to you when you enter the BIOS Setup.

Your Operating System Installer [ in this case your Sierra USB Installer created with Unibeast in Clover UEFI or Legacy Mode with appropriate Graphic drivers and other essential drivers (kexts) and System Definition] has the Disk Utility Tool inside its Utilities folder (which also has Terminal) which will be available when you successfully boot your USB installer with the necessary "boot flags" through Options menu of the Clover Boot Manager Screen.
It is the Disk Utility tool of OS X or macOS that must Partition and Format the hard disk in the GUID Partition map scheme and OS X Extended (Journaled) Format to get it ready for OS installation.
Even if you format the HDD outside with any other tool (other than the OS X disk utility) the Disk should be "blessed" again by Disk utility before it can gain entrance at the gate to OS X or macOS installation.

PS. If you cannot see your SATA HDD in the BIOS Setup, then the problem may be :

• HDD damaged
  • Undamaged HDD NOT connected via SATA cable or connected SATA cable damaged or that particular MoBo SATA port not working or the SATA HDD has no Power cable properly connected or the PWR cable damaged.
  • That SATA HDD is disabled through BIOS option.
If you want to see a disk in Clover boot screen or Clover Boot Manager Screen, it should have a boot file Clover Boot Manager can recognize. I'm sure others with greater knowledge about Clover EFI Boot-loader can make the answer better.

Last edited:
OK, I am KJB Lord of the idiots!!! I forgot to plug in the SATA POWER connector in my build. It oddly runs much better with power.
Every mistake we make is an exercise in learning. Every mistake we recognize and fix makes us a step closer to becoming an expert! The fastest Sprinter on this planet must have had as many falls as anybody else as a toddler but still managed to get the greatest adulation at the end! Good luck with hackintoshing.

I have exact same problem, i have tried kexts and bios is set up exactly as required, ill let you know if i get mine working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back