Gigabyte GTX960
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
hello, I will order parts tomorrow to build my first hackintosh.
this website was very very helpful in order to choose the parts I need.
I have one question though it might be a stupid one but I'm not sure, so its better to always ask first.

I know that for OSX installation you suggest SSD. I will order a samsung evo suggested in buyers guide.
but I also want to have a separate HDD for windows 7 boot.
does it also has to be SSD? if not and I can use an HDD does it matter which one?
I have read on the forum here that with western digital for example you might have problems with OSX.
does that also applies with windows 7 or I can choose witch ever HDD I want and have it for windows plus storage for OSX?

You can have SSDs and hard drives in your Hackintosh and it will work. Just be sure to keep them on the Intel controller rather than the third party SATA controller (if your mb also has one).

The SSD really just comes down to performance. If you want the best IO performance SSDs are the best by far. If you want to keep the cost down, you can go with hard drives and it will work fine. For Windows 7, you should select no bigger than a 2TB hard drive for booting as Win7 can not boot from 3TB or 4TB natively. OS X however can work just fine.

My system has one 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD and four Western Digital Red 3TB drives (the hard drives were originally going into a NAS but ended up in this rig build instead and work fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back