Motherboard
GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For some inexplicable reason, half my onboard USB ports are dead after I upgraded to Monterrey. They worked fine before, and I can use them when I boot into Linux, so I know there is no physical problem with them.

Using USBMap.command, nothing happens when I plug into the dead ports. Nothing shows up in the scan. There is also no power to them. It's like they are physically disconnected (although I know they do work when I boot into Linux). At the bottom there is a red "HUB-1a100000: 0" I don't recall seeing before, but I can't find anything by Googling that.

I am using OpenCore 0.7.8, and have patched XCI1 to SHCI twice per Dortiana guide. It also didn't work when I only had one patch. Everything else but Bluetooth seems to be working fine. Related? I don't know. Using a Mac "Airport" Card from a MacBook.

My searches all seem to assume that if I plug something in it will at least show up in USBMap. Since nothing happens, I don't know how to troubleshoot this. Is this something people have seen? Any ideas?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.18.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.18.01 PM.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.16.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.16.47 PM.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 91
For some inexplicable reason, half my onboard USB ports are dead after I upgraded to Monterrey. They worked fine before, and I can use them when I boot into Linux, so I know there is no physical problem with them.

Using USBMap.command, nothing happens when I plug into the dead ports. Nothing shows up in the scan. There is also no power to them. It's like they are physically disconnected (although I know they do work when I boot into Linux). At the bottom there is a red "HUB-1a100000: 0" I don't recall seeing before, but I can't find anything by Googling that.

I am using OpenCore 0.7.8, and have patched XCI1 to SHCI twice per Dortiana guide. It also didn't work when I only had one patch. Everything else but Bluetooth seems to be working fine. Related? I don't know. Using a Mac "Airport" Card from a MacBook.

My searches all seem to assume that if I plug something in it will at least show up in USBMap. Since nothing happens, I don't know how to troubleshoot this. Is this something people have seen? Any ideas?

Thank you.

Hi there.

I can't answer for what you had working previously as you do not go into detail, but if your PC build is as stated in your Hardware Profile then there might be an easy explanation:

1) The Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI motherboard features 4x USB2 ports and 6x USB3 ports.

USB.jpg

2) The H97 Intel chipset itself features 8x USB2 ports and 6x USB3 ports.

What motherboard manufacturers do is enable the chipset ports they want for the board's form factor. Being ITX in size yours has clearly had some ports disabled.

A USB kext of some type created using Catalina should work perfectly fine with Monterey. What is not so easy is creating one while in Monterey as none of the port-limit removal methods work. However for your motherboard, with limited ports, it should be fairly easy as you would never go over the 15-port macOS limit with them.

Okay, suggestions:

A) Examining your set up we can see the 4x USB2 ports lit up on the XHC controller so that's fine. Their enumeration does seem strange.

B) The EHCI controllers are not needed on such a limited motherboard, as the XHCI one covers all ports. Normally you would activate the EHC1 and EHC2 to EH01 and EH02 renames. This comment might require amending if Gigabyte have done something weird with the ACPI table.

C) I do not know what the XHC1 to SCHI renames are designed to achieve. Controller names in macOS are either XHC or XHC1.

D) I am not a fan of USBMap.command and would use Hackintool.app and IORegExplorer.app instead. But that is a purely personal choice.

Let us know more.

:)

Thank your for your reply. After a little more digging I have some more information:

The physical plugs are only mostly dead.... OK, bad movie quotes aside, four of the six USB3.0 plugs are not responding to USB2.0 being plugged in.

As you point out this motherboard has two onboard USB2.0 plugs on the back IO, and four USB3.0 on the back IO. Likewise, it has a header for two more USB3.0 and two more 2.0 to connect to a case, etc.

I have the USB3.0 header connected to two front facing plugs on my case. It took me a while to confirm that the plugs were working for USB3.0 because the cheap Amazon 3.0 USB drive I use to test the ports turns out to actually be only USB2.0. :banghead:

That sorted, I can confirm that all external ports are lighting up. The two I/O USB2.0 plugs recognize USB2.0 devices. Two of the four USB3.0 plugs on the IO panel light up with USB2.0 devices, while the other two USB3.0 plugs seem to have disconnected even power to the USB2.0 pins. Likewise, the two case USB3.0 plugs connected to the internal header won't recognize USB2.0 devices. All six USB3.0 plugs recognize USB3.0 devices.

I only mentioned that it worked in my previous setup to answer that it isn't a hardware issue. In order to upgrade to Monterrey from Catalina I had to upgrade OpenCore from 6.x to 7.x, which required an entirely new installation (at least for me o_O). I don't have my previous 6.x config.plist, so I can't answer if the ports would have worked had I not done an entirely new OpenCore build.

I've attached the current results of my discovered ports. I have four missing USB2.0 ports. Quite possibly they are HS11-14, but I can't know because they don't respond to a USB2.0 device being plugged in. I have also removed my Airport card just to be sure that it wasn't somehow interfering.

Can anyone suggest a next step to bringing back these four ports so that they are USB2.0/3.0 compatible?

Thanks.

Are you usb mapping by chance? I had the same problem last night running OC0.8.0 and Monterey. After adding the XhciPortLimit quirk and the USBInjectAll.kext most of my previously working drives just disappeared.

@Edhawk pointed out in the mapping thread that:
If you are using OpenCore to boot your system the XhciPortLimit quirk no longer works in Big Sur 11.3+.

You need to remove XhciPortLimit and probably the USBInjectAll to get it back to normal.
And, you can map using the USBMap tool without those kexts/quirks.

Hi @rlrhett how is it going?

Sorry to invade your thread like this but I've just found an old topic of yours about external USB drives causing random crashes. Have you ever figured that out? Was there a solution?

I started having the exact same issue and I've been trying to solve it for a week now, no success. Turns out we have a pretty similar setup, I wonder if there's anything to do with the CPU...

I couldn't find an option to DM you, but if you could get in touch somehow! Hope you figure out this other USB problem.

Thanks a lot :)

Are you usb mapping by chance? I had the same problem last night running OC0.8.0 and Monterey. After adding the XhciPortLimit quirk and the USBInjectAll.kext most of my previously working drives just disappeared.

@Edhawk pointed out in the mapping thread that:

You need to remove XhciPortLimit and probably the USBInjectAll to get it back to normal.
And, you can map using the USBMap tool without those kexts/quirks.
I am creating a custom USBMap.kext, although it is hard to know which USB2 ports to keep as nothing happens when I plug a USB2 device into a physical port. I don't have XchiPortLimit or USBInjectAll.

Hi @rlrhett how is it going?

Sorry to invade your thread like this but I've just found an old topic of yours about external USB drives causing random crashes. Have you ever figured that out? Was there a solution?

I started having the exact same issue and I've been trying to solve it for a week now, no success. Turns out we have a pretty similar setup, I wonder if there's anything to do with the CPU...

I couldn't find an option to DM you, but if you could get in touch somehow! Hope you figure out this other USB problem.

Thanks a lot :)
Sorry, that was five years ago. I believe I was using Clover back then, and certainly an older version of OSX. I don't know if I still have that same problem as I added a NAS to my home network a few years ago and don't need to plug in those drives anymore.

I am creating a custom USBMap.kext, although it is hard to know which USB2 ports to keep as nothing happens when I plug a USB2 device into a physical port. I don't have XchiPortLimit or USBInjectAll.
Weird. I ran into this exact case when mapping, and thought that I had recognized your situation. But, I had both the XchiPorttLimit and USBInjectAll and getting rid of them immediately fixed it for me. Not sure what you have. Hope you figure it out, good luck!

Weird. I ran into this exact case when mapping, and thought that I had recognized your situation. But, I had both the XchiPorttLimit and USBInjectAll and getting rid of them immediately fixed it for me. Not sure what you have. Hope you figure it out, good luck!
I am having the same issue on my z370 gaming 5 with oc 0.80..Monterey.. Will try this. Did you leave your mapped usbports kext after removing those? Can you share a snap of your kexts folder?

Finally got usb2 & 3 working along side wifi/ bluetooth on the Gigabyte gaming 5 z370.

This board have two USB controllers, so the second device Id had to be added next to the other inside XHCI unsupported kext.

USB2 n 3 mapped separately by toggling XchiPortLimit on/off with a restart in between. Used propertree or a Plist editor to merge the two usbports kext plist files then save the merged plist file into the contents folder of either of the USBports kext.

Used the USBports Kext delete/disabled USBinjectall and check the order of the kexts inside in OC kernel.

If usb2 n 3 don't work on your restart toggle XchiPortLimit inside config plist then restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back