Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Freezes during Time Machine backup to OSX Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770k
Graphics
Asus GTX 780 DC2
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I built a new hackintosh (GA-Z87MX-D3H) with one ssd and two 4 TB hard drives in RAID 1. The purpose is for it to hold media and backups though Time Machine. I put the osx server tools on it and then configured it to accept Time Machine backups. With my current desktop (Z77-UD5H) I have selected the backup network disk and started backing up to it starting just fine. However after about 20 minutes my UD5H seems to freeze up completely every time (have to use the reset switch to reboot). I don't have any wireless on either of the two computers so it is all ethernet. I have tried also connecting directly through ethernet (no switch) between the two and it still completely freezes my UD5H after about 20 minutes.

I have done a local Time Machine backup from the ssd in the Z87MX-D3H to the raided drives and it has worked fine every time. Throughout all of this the D3H has been running fine only the UD5H has been freezing.

Both are running 10.9.1

Anyone have any ideas of what is causing this?

Just a stab in the dark: Are you using the ethernet driver installed by Multibeast? Might be worth a shot to update it to 3.0.4 and see if the old version is the cause of the instability.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osx86drivers/files/Kext/Snow_or_Above/

Save a copy of your existing /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext

Then put AppleIntelE1000e.kext from sourceforge into:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

and all the standard permission repair, cache rebuild, restart... blah blah

If it installs correctly, it will show up in the System Information app under Ethernet->Version

Yep I am using the drivers from multibeast. I will check out those newer ones. The only thing is that i have two ethernet ports on my UD5H, a Intel and an Atheros. And when i was going through my switch i was connected to my Intel port and when connected directly to each computer i was using the Antheros. Although i only have one Intel ethernet port on the D3H so maybe thats the problem. I will replace both and hope for the best.

So I thought that work around fixed it since it went about an hour of backing up but it did end up locking up my system again. this time however i could move the mouse but i couldn't click on anything. The other weird thing is that if i connect between the two computers with my router when my desktop locks up i have noticed that it crashes my router just before that happens. I am kind of at a loss of how to fix this.

May have nothing to do with networking, but I can't help but think it is involved.

Do you have enough space on the SSD to create a share on it to see what happens if you backup to it instead of the mirror? That might eliminate the mirror having some weird interaction with net backups.

Are you using the Intel port on both boards, and did both get the 3.0.4 driver?

Another longshot: Does firewire work on your Z77 board? Do you have/borrow/buy a compatible firewire board for the Z87? You could create a local IP network over firewire just to eliminate the ethernet ports as the cause. Probably only worth it if you already have a firewire card laying around.

Yes I have the 3.0.4 driver on both computers now.

Hmm firewire is an interesting idea. I have a firewire card in my UD5H I can move over to my D3H but I have never used the onboard firewire on the UD5H before, I guess it will be worth a try.

I think it has to be something on the UD5H since last night I started a backup from my Macbook Pro to the D3H and it hasn't failed yet. The slight difference is that its going through a Airport Express (in bridge mode for wifi) -> router -> D3H

And no I have ~350 GB of data on the ssd in the UD5H and only a 128 GB ssd in the D3H so not enough room to test.

My Macbook Pro was able to successfully backup to the D3H both through wifi and directly connecting though ethernet.

However I was not able to get the firewire solution working. When enabling the on board firewire in the bios for the UD5H i couldn't get mavericks to boot after that.

Got anymore ideas?

My Macbook Pro was able to successfully backup to the D3H both through wifi and directly connecting though ethernet.

However I was not able to get the firewire solution working. When enabling the on board firewire in the bios for the UD5H i couldn't get mavericks to boot after that.

Got anymore ideas?

I'm running out of ideas...

Keep the console open on both machines to see if any errors pop up?

Check the time machine logs? https://discussions.apple.com/message/8111625#8111625

Hey, did you solved your problem? i have similar.
in my work place i have setup hackintosh with udh5 and i7-3770 and gtx-650 and 2010 mac pro, both running mavericks. hackintosh has main SATA disks with data (photographs-its retouching studio). when i copy large files over LAN between these two stations (just like you are doing backups) hackintosh crashes after transfering 10-20 GB of files. aaaand it crashes completely:wacom drivers stop working, applications not responding, internet down, music is playing(hmm) and mouse is ok. hard restart needed.
as far no idea how to deal with this. before mavericks - no problem.

copying from hackintosh = crash after around 15GB
copying to hackintosh ->works, at least with 40GB folders

cheers

Have you tried to experiment with changing from smb2 to smb1?

Same Problem here.

Old Mountain Lion Hackintosh updated to Mavericks and no longer is able to do back-ups to a network connected drobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back