Contribute
Register

[Guide] Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro High Sierra 10.13.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

We've gone very quiet on this thread...

I wondered if anyone has managed to figure out a way to disable the internal Bluetooth, on the Mi Notebook Pro so an external dongle can be used. The Bluetooth appears and seems to be searching for devices, but never finds any devices. I have an external Bluetooth dongle ready to be used, but cannot seem to get it to be recognized because of the internal one.

Hi,

We've gone very quiet on this thread...

I wondered if anyone has managed to figure out a way to disable the internal Bluetooth, on the Mi Notebook Pro so an external dongle can be used. The Bluetooth appears and seems to be searching for devices, but never finds any devices. I have an external Bluetooth dongle ready to be used, but cannot seem to get it to be recognized because of the internal one.

The bluetooth controller should be on a USB port.
Simply omit the port which it is connected to...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

There ins't much information about this laptop avaliable on the web. I was trying to figure out if there is a way to replace WiFi card... even if it is soldered. On YouTube there is a video from a guy updating the MacBookAir RAM using hot air gun to take down the RAMs chip. Soldered Wifi card maybe its easier to take down considering the size and the amount of contacts.
Another question: What about the whitelist?

There ins't much information about this laptop avaliable on the web. I was trying to figure out if there is a way to replace WiFi card... even if it is soldered. On YouTube there is a video from a guy updating the MacBookAir RAM using hot air gun to take down the RAMs chip. Soldered Wifi card maybe its easier to take down considering the size and the amount of contacts.

At this point, I think no one has the answers for your questions.

System running fine, maybe I'm stupid but i can get right click to working....touchpad - avarage experience.

I have looked into this, and i actually think it will be harder to remove the WiFi module than it is removing RAM chips. The 1216 Intel WiFi module has a lot of pads underneath that need to be heated up, but there is a metal RF screen can on the top, which will act as a heat shield. That will make it very difficult to melt the solder with heat from above. You will probably need to heat the entire logic board from underneath. To do it properly you need a skilled technician and a BGA rework station (they cost thousands of £££ $$$). If you just get out your hot air gun and start blasting you run the risk of accidentally removing other components, not worth the risk in my opinion.

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 22.27.04.png

There might be another option though, I have plans to test out an m.2 socket adapter that will let me fit an E Key m.2 WiFi Module (Broadcom BCM94352) in the spare M key m.2 slot, with antenna extender cables running back to the original antennas. I am currently waiting for the parts to arrive. The shipping in going to take several weeks, but i will post an update to share my results. Taking a gamble, but it might be worth it!
Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 22.57.06.png

At this point, I think no one has the answers for your questions.

Look how it is arranged. I mean... if its possible to replace soldered DDR4 RAM chips using hot air, a WiFi card would be a smaller issue. Please open my eyes if i'm mistaken.
wlan-closeup-png.295227

I have looked into this, and i actually think it will be harder to remove the WiFi module than it is removing RAM chips. The 1216 Intel WiFi module has a lot of pads underneath that need to be heated up, but there is a metal RF screen can on the top, which will act as a heat shield. That will make it very difficult to melt the solder with heat from above. You will probably need to heat the entire logic board from underneath. To do it properly you need a skilled technician and a BGA rework station (they cost thousands of £££ $$$). If you just get out your hot air gun and start blasting you run the risk of accidentally removing other components, not worth the risk in my opinion.

View attachment 319730

There might be another option though, I have plans to test out an m.2 socket adapter that will let me fit an E Key m.2 WiFi Module (Broadcom BCM94352) in the spare M key m.2 slot, with antenna extender cables running back to the original antennas. I am currently waiting for the parts to arrive. The shipping in going to take several weeks, but i will post an update to share my results. Taking a gamble, but it might be worth it!
View attachment 319733

I'm taking aware of you reply right now. The only reason to avoid buying this laptop for hackintosh is wifi.
Keep us updated about this gamble... i hope it works.

EDIT:
The metal RF screen can be destroyed? What is the purpose of it? Maybe a micro electric hand drill with a “saw” can be used to make a surgery on it to enable access to the wifi module.

About the BGA rework station. I think this equipment is available here on Federal University. Maybe asking some friends to do, or, paying some amount for a professional (friend of friend) to do the job. It would be last option. DIY at home would be the first one.

Last edited:
i hope it works.
Edit: it should. My notebook will be with me on next monday or something near that, also i ordered that adapter + BCM9B352Z, which should work not native but fine under macOS. The only thing i don't know now is antennas extender - on paper it's MHF4 so i ordered that one, but maybe there is U.FL (unlikely but still). That risk with motherboard is still too high, don't do that. Adapter variant is much better and safer. Anyway - we will need to patch DSDT for disabling Bluetooth (maybe i should ask dialinsky for this, there is no injector atm)

EDIT:
The metal RF screen can be destroyed? What is the purpose of it? Maybe a micro electric hand drill with a “saw” can be used to make a surgery on it to enable access to the wifi module.
The purpose of the RF screen can is to control (prevent) RF emissions that might be harmful or cause interference with other nearby electronic circuits or systems, and to comply with international EMC regulations (FCC regulation in the US). Also prevents RF interference from getting into the sensitive RF receiver circuitry within the module. You could use some brute force and remove the screen can in order to make it slightly easier to remove the Intel WiFi Module. However, you would have exactly the same problem when you come to fitting a replacement WiFi module in its place. Whatever module you choose, it will have an RF screen can on it (which you definitely should not remove) and be very very difficult to solder down onto your logic board without the proper equipment. This is not a DIY at home job. Definitely needs the BGA rework station and a lot of skill and experience. Trust me, I am an electronic engineer, my job is designing these kind of circuit boards, I would not attempt this at home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back