Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aero 15X v8-BK4K4P
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 / GTX 1070 Max-Q / 4K
Design your system so that there is only one disk (an SSD if you like speed) that has an EFI partition that contains the Clover boot loader. Of course in OS X, all (I think) formatted drives will have an EFI partition, but you do not want two EFI partitions that contain ANY boot loader – that includes Clover, Chameleon, Chimera or whatever.
If you format a drive in macOS using Disk Utility (using the default GPT partitioning) it will indeed create an EFI partition. I use gdisk to delete the EFI partition on my non-boot drive(s). You can read instructions on how to accomplish this here (3rd answer).

Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3 LGA1151
CPU
Core i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Folks,

Been wracking my brain trying to get this to work but have hit a wall at this point. First, let me provide the info on my build:

Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 Motherboard
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (16GBx1) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC (White)

(the other module as DOA. Getting it replaced)
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair CW-9060007-WW Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB Graphics Card
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
Corsair RMx Series, RM650x, 650W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified
Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive

The issue I’m having is as follows:
I’m not able to bypass/get rid of this screen:
View media item 190127
The previous install I had was working intermittently. However, apps were crashing. So I erased and reinstalled and started running into problems with Clover. No matter what I try as far as a bootable thumb drive, the above screen appears.

The drive I had originally installed macOS Sierra on was the Samsung SSD. I tried the steps listed on this thread (as seen in these screen shots):

View media item 190124View media item 190126View media item 190125
I've tried even booting from the thumb drive with the Unibeast thumb drive with just the 2TB hard drive connected (it doesn't have anything installed on it).

I've cleared the CMOS (received probs that it was reset) and changed the settings as per the guide.

And even after all of that, it still shows the Clover Boot Manager screen for some reason.

Any advice on how to resolve this so I can boot properly from the UniBeast thumb drive and install macOS Sierra would be greatly appreciated.
(the other drives listed in that last screen shot is just my card reader. It didn't cause any issues when the install initially worked).

Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to your help.

A Sincerely Grateful Newb,

Rodney
=)

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
Help!

In order to solve a 'duplicated entries issue' with my clover boot screen,
I updated via Instant flash my mobo to the 2.5 version, but... I lost the Mac disk!
The duplicated entries, instead are still there :evil:.

Also, my Sierra USB key is not working using the usual 'boot from usb F11 method'.
(I will need a real MAc to create the USB!)

What I can to do to? There is a way to avoid an installation from scratch?

Motherboard
GA Z97MX- GAMING 5
CPU
I7 4770K
Graphics
GTX 750 TI
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Help!

In order to solve a 'duplicated entries issue' with my clover boot screen,
I updated via Instant flash my mobo to the 2.5 version, but... I lost the Mac disk!
The duplicated entries, instead are still there :evil:.

Also, my Sierra USB key is not working using the usual 'boot from usb F11 method'.
(I will need a real MAc to create the USB!)

What I can to do to? There is a way to avoid an installation from scratch?
Clear Bios, to defaults, start with correct new setting for Sierra booting, make sure Mac drive is top of order in boot sequence. check to see if boot entry reapperars. If not disconnect all drives other than Mac drive and reboot. check again. If not possible Plist corruption, but since you cannot key to boot it is F12 not F11 to get to boot menu at bios level...... Check same with USB disconnect all other drives and attempt boot, to check machine's functionality after bios update, Suggestion: never use instant flash use bios flashing tool in UEFI bios screen with only a windows drive attached to do bios updates. Always use a clean flash drive with no other files to do bios updates, or you can have problems. Always download bios updates in windows not Mac side.

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
Suggestion: never use instant flash use bios flashing tool in UEFI bios screen with only a windows drive attached to do bios updates. Always use a clean flash drive with no other files to do bios updates, or you can have problems. Always download bios updates in windows not Mac side.
Thanks, I will follow in future!

I tried the attempts but can't see the clover disks from F12. They seem as lost.
Windows devices tool, or as its named, (ctrl+x) can see the disks...
I also think that something in clover was corrupted.

Clover was also overriding the 'default disk' entry in plist from some week.
I asked but the solution was worst than original issue...

Thanks again for your answer, now I am waiting an used macbook air in order to regenerate the USB key,
and have a trusted machine :|

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
I7-6700k
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX960 2 Gb SSC
never use instant flash use bios flashing tool in UEFI bios screen with only a windows drive attached to do bios updates. Always use a clean flash drive with no other files to do bios updates, or you can have problems. Always download bios updates in windows not Mac side
dasboot5,
I'm not sure what "instant flash" is so I'm asking...on a Gigabyte board (GA-Z170X-UD5) are you suggesting to not use Q-Flash? Also, what do you mean by "only a windows drive attached?" The Hackintosh where we need to flash the BIOS does not have Windows installed. I do have a PC that I plan to use to download the BIOS update and create the USB for flashing the BIOS. Is using that USB what you mean by "having a Windows drive attached?"

Thank you in advance for clarifying.

Jim

Motherboard
B85M-G
CPU
Core i7 4770
Graphics
nVidia 1050 Ti
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Thanks a lot for this guide! These EFI entries which will be added with every macos update are driving me nuts. Nice that we have this possibility to remove entries using clover. My bios simply will freeze with all custom entries. It was not such a problem using emuvariable.efi, since those additional efi boot entries never were persistent here back then...

Motherboard
GA Z97MX- GAMING 5
CPU
I7 4770K
Graphics
GTX 750 TI
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
dasboot5,
I'm not sure what "instant flash" is so I'm asking...on a Gigabyte board (GA-Z170X-UD5) are you suggesting to not use Q-Flash? Also, what do you mean by "only a windows drive attached?" The Hackintosh where we need to flash the BIOS does not have Windows installed. I do have a PC that I plan to use to download the BIOS update and create the USB for flashing the BIOS. Is using that USB what you mean by "having a Windows drive attached?"

Thank you in advance for clarifying.

Jim
OK Here it is: You are using an Intel X86 machine which was designed for the Windows operating system and Linux primarily, but IT will Run, the Mac OS, with the use of Clover. There are many ways to update your bios depending on the Motherboard manufacturer, but bios code is specific and more complex now that we are using UEFI bioses. The Manufacturer decides what company's basic architecture their bios will customized on: The motherboard manufacturer then customizes this BIOS to suit its own hardware. For this reason, updated BIOSes are normally obtained directly from the motherboard manufacturer. Major BIOS vendors include American Megatrends (AMI), Insyde Software, Phoenix Technologies and Byosoft.
The newer UEFI bios code (updates) are specific to the motherboard and its revision number. The updating process can be done in the Windows OS when booted, using a flash drive and software utility from the manufacturer. This is not recommended. Flash drives used should be clean, not large in capacity, and formatted in FAT 32 and good quality and placed only in a backplane USB 2.0 port not USB 3.0 3.1C or an front panel port. Do not use NTFS or any other drive formatting. If you cannot get into the current bios, some boards have a special USB flash port on the backplane to correct this, still not recommended, unless you no other option, other than ordering an new flashed bios chip, from the motherboard company, or a service.

You should enter the bios determine what bios revision you are on, make sure the bios you are updating to will not cause problems with the Mac OS you are installing. Find the Q Flash utility or similar and Update. You do not need any drives attached for this procedure, Windows or Mac and this is recomended. However to check functionality a Windows drive is the only option, after an upgrade flash, using a utility like HWINFO64 to check your hardware and new bios revision, you can seethe new revsion in the bios screen but this does not check bootabilty and bios settings may be not correct for Mac or Windows bootablity after flashing to new revision. It recommended to rest bios to defaults and change settings back as needed for Mac bootability. You should write down what settings worked before flashing. Once you satisfied, reconnect you Mac OS drive or, start in installation process with UNIbeast or a Clover based installation flash using Mas OS installer through terminal.
All my machines are dual boot, so I just assume most are the same, but many here use only Mac OS which makes harder to check an new build's functionality before stating the Mac OS installation process.