Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using 10.11.3 and happy with it to do my coloring video work... thought couple of times to update OS, it is very good to know tricks to do it, thanks a lot Gigamaxx I will consider your tip.
Regarding my clover booting configuration... is it fine for you? do i miss something to avoid booting on windows mode instead of OS by default?

It should work if your drive is named El Capitan, if not change the entry to match the actual drive name.

I plan to upgrade to Sierra 10.12.6 and Clover on our second Hackintosh. Before I upgrade, I’m trying to understand if this upgrade will cause the multiple boot entry problem.

The system is a GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, F14 Bios, boot loader Chameleon V2.2 r2378, Mavericks 10.9.3, dual boot Windows 7. Mavericks and Windows on separate SSD”s, both with separate SSD’s for backup. Data and data backups on separate rotational drives.

Right now, with Chameleon as the boot loader (UEFI) I do not have an issue with multiple boot entries.

Can anyone help me understand whether I will have the problem after I upgrade? From my reading, multiple drives, which I have, can be part of the problem and Clover is certainly involved. And the Bios version of , at least, the 100 series board is critical. (Maybe it’s good news that I am not using a 100 series motherboard in this particular Hackintosh??)

If someone tells me I won’t have the problem, Great!

If I will have the problem:

a.) Is the fix a Bios upgrade like it is on a 100 series board, where upgrading to F20 or higher resolves the issue? For my GA-Z77X-UD5H any Bios higher than the installed F14 is a Beta and I can’t tell if those versions address anything relevant to this problem. Will I need any special Bios settings?

b.) Would changes within Clover be the solution? If yes, can you please describe them or point me to a link I can follow?

I hope this is a non-issue. Thank you for your help,

Jim

Hello

I have a clover boot problem linked to EFI partitions.

I had a HDD hosting Yosemite, el Capitan and Sierra, all was working fine using Clover.
For speed reasons I decided recently to install Sierra on an SSD named SierraSSD
Renaming HDD Sierra in Slow Sierra.

Searching speed at boot I decided to install Clover on SSD (SierraSSD)
I installed Clover r4297.
But from there impossible to boot all Osxs.

Unplugging HDD, SierraSSD starts and works fine.

So I erased EFI partition on HDD
But if I plug HDD again Clover don’t boot and shows
Verifying DMI pool data
then '-' alone on top left screen.

With HDD on an external usb adapter, all works fine, boot and Osxs run.

Looking at first post here, with HDD on an external usb adapter, I launched Clover UEFI Shell
bcfg boot dump
And there I see an EFI partition on USB drive (my HDD) (2 EFI partitions)

This is strange, diskutil list don’t shows EFI on HDD.

Booting from install Sierra USB key has same results:
HDD not present launch SierraSSD
HDD present shows:
Verifying DMI pool data
then - alone on top left screen

Does someone has an idea ?

Thank you

Last edited:
@Jacouille341, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

I'm having a strange problem, it appears every time I reboot clover adds 1 or 2 additional boot options. I only noticed it after several restarts attempting to install high sierra (miserable failure on that) and now my bios shows 200+ uefi boot options on my main partition. How do I stop this from happening? Is there a file somewhere I can wipe back to nothing rather than manually using the CLI?

@zmaker, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

I have 2 related/similar issues with my fresh High Sierra install and I am wondering if it is related to why this thread was started. I could use some guidance. I get an error (that flashes quickly, see image) and then 2 entries I cannot place. Looks like they have something to do with how High Sierra is installed. A little scared to remove them and break my install. See the images.

The error that flashes for less then a second:

2017-12-10 16.23.43.png

And the first 2 entries I cannot understand if I continue to need them:
I boot successfully of the third one.

2017-12-11 20.07.10.jpg 2017-12-11 20.07.15.jpg 2017-12-11 20.07.22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back