Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mr.Crab I've been working with a few others in a different thread. We've been successfully able to get USB-C Video out working with a 15,1 and 15,3 identifier (either or work well for our laptop). Still the same PM set up and results with it too. It just required some custom SMBIOS information injected into the config.plsit to load.

@takki what specific patch are you adding to your DSDT to prevent the DGPU from waking after sleep. In Opencore we can't patch the DSDT, it's highly recommended not to do so. We just make custom SSDT patches that do the patching for us that only includes the patch itself.
Interested in seeing what the patch looks like so we dive further into this with Opencore. The other thread I'm in has been working on this issue also.

As soon as this last bug is taken care of, I'm going to upload the Opencore guide for this laptop.

@takki what specific patch are you adding to your DSDT to prevent the DGPU from waking after sleep. In Opencore we can't patch the DSDT, it's highly recommended not to do so. We just make custom SSDT patches that do the patching for us that only includes the patch itself.
Interested in seeing what the patch looks like so we dive further into this with Opencore. The other thread I'm in has been working on this issue also.

As soon as this last bug is taken care of, I'm going to upload the Opencore guide for this laptop.

I described everything I did here. But that was only for a specific problem with the ACPI of the early 2019 model of the Blade. Other users had the same problem with it (there is an issue on stonevils github guide).

I was also thinking that dynamic patching would be better but so far I didn't have the time to read how to do that as it's a little more involved than just statically patching the DSDT. Also dynamic patching for the early 2019 trackpad is a little more complicated I guess because you have to move two methods around (SSCN and FMCN, see stonevil guide).

I'm working on a couple issues at the moment, maybe you guys have an idea:

- No audio over USB-C to DP adapter (and also HDMI adapter as reported here I guess)
- No 144hz (or 4k@60hz) after booting. Have to go to sleep and wake back up for it to work.
- External HDD shows up as internal. Not the end of the world but annoying.
- Implement HibernationFixup? Might be worth a try..

Last edited:
I described everything I did here. But that was only for a specific problem with the ACPI of the early 2019 model of the Blade. Other users had the same problem with it (there is an issue on stonevils github guide).

I was also thinking that dynamic patching would be better but so far I didn't have the time to read how to do that as it's a little more involved than just statically patching the DSDT. Also dynamic patching for the early 2019 trackpad is a little more complicated I guess because you have to mode two methods around (SSCN and FMCN, see stonevil guide).

I'm working on a couple issues at the moment, maybe you guys have an idea:

- No audio over USB-C to DP adapter (and also HDMI adapter as reported here I guess)
- No 144hz (or 4k@60hz) after booting. Have to go to sleep and wake back up for it to work.
- External HDD shows up as internal. Not the end of the world but annoying.
- Implement HibernationFixup? Might be worth a try..

So once you deleted the contents that you listed, your issues with trackpad went away and your DGPU stopped waking up after first putting the laptop to sleep?

-No Audio over USB-C or even the HDMI port has always been an issue with this laptop. At one point last year when I first started this guide, I worked with RehabMan on it and we didn't make any progress. I kind of gave up after a couple of weeks trouble shooting and testing, I ran out of free time to dedicate to it and never revisited it. I'm starting to dive back into it though now that the issue with USB-C Video out and still running the proper identifier has been solved.

-144Hz and 4K issue, I can't test or replicate because I don't own anything that does 144Hz or 4K, externally. 144Hz with the laptop screen is the closest I come to. So I can't really help with that issue.

-External HD showing up as an internal drive. I've honestly never noticed this. But then again, I can't remember the last time I plugged in my external hard drive lol. I'll take a gander at it later tonight when I get home. That's gotta be an easy fix with USB configuration.

-I never looked into hibernation fix up. But might do so when the other issues are taken care of.

Curious to know if maybe opencore solved any of these issues

So once you deleted the contents that you listed, your issues with trackpad went away and your DGPU stopped waking up after first putting the laptop to sleep?

I can confirm the DGPU has stopped waking after sleep, and no black screen on wake anymore on Early 2019 model. This is a game changer for me, thanks @takki!

No that patch is just for the dGPU so it doesn't wake up after sleep. The trackpad thing is separate but could be more complicated to do, but like I said I have no clue about dynamic patching :p

-No Audio over USB-C or even the HDMI port has always been an issue with this laptop. At one point last year when I first started this guide, I worked with RehabMan on it and we didn't make any progress. I kind of gave up after a couple of weeks trouble shooting and testing, I ran out of free time to dedicate to it and never revisited it. I'm starting to dive back into it though now that the issue with USB-C Video out and still running the proper identifier has been solved.

-144Hz and 4K issue, I can't test or replicate because I don't own anything that does 144Hz or 4K, externally. 144Hz with the laptop screen is the closest I come to. So I can't really help with that issue.

Yeah it seems like it's not something that can be solved by just following some guide. I tried playing around with different framebuffer settings but so far no luck. There are a couple errors in the system log but I could't find any info on them.

(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] FB0: Flip called without enabling VBL
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] FB1 : This fb does not have a pipe
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Link training failed - notifying AGDC to take display offline
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Link training failed for port 1
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Link loss occurred on port 1
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (1)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] FB1 : This fb does not have a pipe
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (1)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Link training failed - notifying AGDC to take display offline
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Link training failed for port 1
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] FB1: Flip called without enabling VBL
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (2)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] FB1: Flip called without enabling VBL
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (3)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (4)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (5)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (6)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (7)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (8)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (9)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Recovering DP link (10)
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] Too many link integrity failures - notifying AGDC to take display offline
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] displayPath is not NULL for index i = 0. continue
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] displayPath is not NULL for index i = 0. continue
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] setAttribute called when FB0 is in a sleep state - attribute: 'pwrs'
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] hwSetPanelPower : Timeout powering ON the panel!!
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] setAttribute called when FB1 is in a sleep state - attribute: 'pwrs'
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] setAttribute called when FB2 is in a sleep state - attribute: 'pwrs'
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] FB0: Flip called without enabling VBL
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] R0' mismatch
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] handleReadR0Prime failed
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] scanline not advancing
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] getAttributeForConnection called when FB1 is in a sleep state - attribute: 'enab'
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] getAttributeForConnection called when FB1 is in a sleep state - attribute: 'enab'
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] setAttribute called when FB0 is in a sleep state - attribute: 'pwrs'
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] hwSetPanelPower : Timeout waiting for HPD!!
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] setAttribute called when FB1 is in a sleep state - attribute: 'pwrs'
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] setAttribute called when FB2 is in a sleep state - attribute: 'pwrs'
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] hwSetPanelPower : Timeout waiting for HPD!!
(AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) [IGFB][ERROR ] kHDCP1_DPCD_RI_PRIME read failed

-External HD showing up as an internal drive. I've honestly never noticed this. But then again, I can't remember the last time I plugged in my external hard drive lol. I'll take a gander at it later tonight when I get home. That's gotta be an easy fix with USB configuration.

-I never looked into hibernation fix up. But might do so when the other issues are taken care of.

Curious to know if maybe opencore solved any of these issues

That's what I thought as well but I didn't get to the USB stuff yet. I still have to try opencore, I just wanted to fix some stuff before moving over.

I can confirm the DGPU has stopped waking after sleep, and no black screen on wake anymore on Early 2019 model. This is a game changer for me, thanks @takki!

Happy to help! It was incredibly annoying for me as well, I'm so glad it's fixed now :D

@Mr.Crab I've been working with a few others in a different thread. We've been successfully able to get USB-C Video out working with a 15,1 and 15,3 identifier (either or work well for our laptop). Still the same PM set up and results with it too. It just required some custom SMBIOS information injected into the config.plsit to load.

That is indeed fantastic! Thanks! Just the fix for sleep/wake and we’re golden :)

The dump thing is a bit cumbersome at the moment, so I have another usb with just clover on it and dump with that.
Did you try Hackintool? worked for me.

Did you try Hackintool? worked for me.
I think that any tool that does it when booted to os will dump already modified tables as we have hot patches in config.plist that are applied on boot. I might be wrong though.

If you have Windows installed still, SSDT Time can dump just your DSDT via command prompt. In OC all we need is the DSDT to search and find what we need

@vettz500, @takki, guys do you have any updates on ssts etc. ? And can you share the config.plist additions to make usb-c work on 15,1/15,3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back