- Oct 27, 2015
- EliteBook 850 G2
When I did this, I just get a black screen and it just stays black. It did not go into apple logo or load anything. Do I tap f2 and f4 separately and then hold fn and select osx installation from the usb? Very confused about this. What does this do and what I'm doing wrong here?
This is the part of the guide you need to make sure you're doing properly. This assumes you got MacOS installed to your internal drive properly.
Once you did all of the OSX set up stuff and are at the desktop:
At this point you can eject the USB Installer Flash Drive and reboot your laptop.
- Open the Install macOS High Sierra USB Drive and copy the folder with the files you downloaded earlier to the desktop.
- Run the Clover Installer from that folder, follow the prompts. Make sure on the Installation Type section that clover is set to install to your main drive you installed OSX to. Install it and close the installer.
- Open terminal and type:
Find the name of your main drive that you installed OSX to. Just above it will be the EFI EFI drive. Take note of the Identifier.
- Open and run the EFI Mounter app and mount the EFI Drive of your main OSX Drive that you found the Identifier to above.
- 4.1.Once mounted navigate to the Clover folder inside of the EFI Folder.
Inside of the Post Installation Clover Folder that you downloaded earlier there's a config.plist file copy and paste that into your Clover folder, replace the already existing config.plist file.
- Next find the drivers64UEFI in the Post Installation Clover Folder, copy that folder and paste it into your Clover folder, when prompted click on Replace.
- Next open the ACPI Folder that's in your Clover Folder, then open the Patched Folder it should be empty.
- 6.1.Open the Patched folder in the Post Installation Clover Folder, copy and paste those files into your empty Patched folder.
- Next open the Kexts folder inside of the Post Installation Clover Folder, copy and paste all of the kexts to your desktop. DO NOT copy the folder itself, copy all of the Kexts directly to your desktop, do not put them inside any kind of folder. (If you didn't upgrade your WiFi card you can omit the FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext and the 2 Brcm kexts.
- 7.1.Open and run Kext Beast, when prompted select the option to install the kexts to Library-Extensions, click install.
- Once finished open terminal and type in this code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Type your password in and let it finish. All of the kexts that pop up should say "Allowed" next to them if you installed them correctly
- Disable Hibernation. Hackintosh' are not compatiable with hibernation, so it needs to be disabled. Type in the following codes into terminal to disable it.
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage
Your laptop should boot right into clover, but don’t select anything yet.
This next few steps is to prepare you for editing your DSDT.
- Once you are in Clover tap on the F2 key and then tap the F4 key.
- 1.1.Do so again with the F2 and F4 keys, this time holding down the fn key on the keyboard.
- Now select your OSX Installation and let it boot. Your screen will go black as soon as it starts to boot. This normal and is okay.
This is the ONE AND ONLY MAJOR BUG with this laptop and is currently being worked on.
Shine a flash right on the screen to see what it's doing, you should be able to see the Apple Logo go to the login screen. Once it gets to the login screen, shut the lid/screen of the laptop and wait for the logo light to shut off and then open the lid, the backlight should be working now.
This next step is ONLY if you did not install the 17G2208 with your USB Installer.
If you made your USB Installer with the 17G2208 build, skip this and move onto the DSDT & SSDT Editing section.
Now if you installed the 17G65 build and not the 17G2208 Build, you will not have working backlight controls, or working sleep, you will also not have the black screen on boot up. Before proceeding any further get a copy of the 17G2208 build.
**This process of the update WILL convert your file system to APFS. This is why I recommended installed the 17G2208 build with the USB Installer from the start. You will have to run an HFS converter App to get the HFS file system back.***
- installinstallmacos.py script found here: https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts
- Once it downloads the installer, open and and run it.
- It will ask you to reboot the laptop
- 3.1 Insert your USB Installer before rebooting
- Tap F12 once it reboots
- 5.1. Chose your USB Installer as your boot device wait for clover to boot.
- At the Clover screen choose Install macOS from your main boot drive (it will be an option again) let the installer boot
- 6.1. The screen will probably go black during the install, this is fine. Just keep an eye on it for when it decides to reboot.
- When it reboots, tap F12 while rebooting, again choose your USB Installer as the boot device and again pick Install macOS from your main drive again. It will boot back up and finish the install. It might reboot once more and you will have repeat this step (G).
- Once the installer is done and asks to reboot, you can let the laptop boot off of your main drive and chose your macOS from your main drive in clover and let it boot.
- You should be good to continue now.