Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was more than likely a BIOS update that fixed that. You can check to see if you're running the most current version by checking the Razer site. If you do need to update, make sure you flash your original BIOS first and then update it.

In the mean time, go into your BIOS and double check that the DVMT actually changed to the 64MB max this laptop supports, just to be sure.
Also I would go into /Library/Extension and delete both Lilu and WhateverGreen and then re-install fresh copies of them and rebuild kextcache. Just to be sure it isn't a hiccup with any kind of driver.

I have the 144Hz screen.

Also yes, the minimum DVMT was set to 64mb andn the max at 256. All settings are as they should be. Are you running mojave? I'm currently on the correct build of High Sierra. Maybe the fix only works in mojave?

Also yes, the minimum DVMT was set to 64mb andn the max at 256. All settings are as they should be. Are you running mojave? I'm currently on the correct build of High Sierra. Maybe the fix only works in mojave?
If you have the 1.06 BIOS then you must have the White Razer? The only other time I've heard of the 1.06 version is with the White one.
I am on High Sierra also, what build of HS are you running?

Also the 1.06 BIOS has different DVMT settings. The 1.05 BIOS only allows a max of 64mb, seems that the newer version unlocks more potential. I'm also guessing that the newer version of the BIOS fixes the Razer sleep issue, since you only lost 1% of battery over night while sleeping. In both Windows and OSX I lose anywhere from 20-40% overnight while sleeping. I assumed it was a BIOS issue, this is some evidence towards that assumption.

If you have the 1.06 BIOS then you must have the White Razer? The only other time I've heard of the 1.06 version is with the White one.
I am on High Sierra also, what build of HS are you running?

Also the 1.06 BIOS has different DVMT settings. The 1.05 BIOS only allows a max of 64mb, seems that the newer version unlocks more potential. I'm also guessing that the newer version of the BIOS fixes the Razer sleep issue, since you only lost 1% of battery over night while sleeping. In both Windows and OSX I lose anywhere from 20-40% overnight while sleeping. I assumed it was a BIOS issue, this is some evidence towards that assumption.

Yes, I do have the Mercury White version. And yeah, if you can't set min and max and could only have a max of 64MB then I definitely have more options. It sounds like this could be why it's still not working for me. And I'm running High Sierra build 17G2208. I'm not even sure where to get 17G3025 (unless that's Mojave). I just so happened to have already downloaded 17G2208 with that python script before I got the Razer Blade for a separate hackintosh and just made the install disk using that.

Yes, I do have the Mercury White version. And yeah, if you can't set min and max and could only have a max of 64MB then I definitely have more options. It sounds like this could be why it's still not working for me. And I'm running High Sierra build 17G2208. I'm not even sure where to get 17G3025 (unless that's Mojave). I just so happened to have already downloaded 17G2208 before I got the Razer Blade for a separate hackintosh and just made the install disk using that.
If you set your SMBIOS as a Macbook Pro 15,2 you can update to 17G3025 directly from the App store. Just download, let it start the install, once it reboots, boot off of your flash drive and select "Install macOS from 'your drive name'" then let it install, reboot and done.

It's a direct and safe update.

If you set your SMBIOS as a Macbook Pro 15,2 you can update to 17G3025 directly from the App store. Just download, let it start the install, once it reboots, boot off of your flash drive and select "Install macOS from 'your drive name'" then let it install, reboot and done.

It's a direct and safe update.
So that's the build you're running? Haha I wish I knew that a 15 min ago. I formatted my disk to go up to Mojave

EDIT: i haven't installed anything yet because I was playing around with partitions. Would you recommend build 17G3025 of High Sierra or moving to Mojave? Or would it not make a difference?

So that's the build you're running? Haha I wish I knew that a 15 min ago. I formatted my disk to go up to Mojave
That is the build I'm running. No harm in going up to Mojave though. I have Mojave installed on a separate partition, everything is exactly the same as these special High Sierra builds. I haven't spent much time on it because all of the programs I use are installed on my High Sierra partition and I haven't had time to migrate anything over yet.

That is the build I'm running. No harm in going up to Mojave though. I have Mojave installed on a separate partition, everything is exactly the same as these special High Sierra builds. I haven't spent much time on it because all of the programs I use are installed on my High Sierra partition and I haven't had time to migrate anything over yet.

Alright. Since I've already formatted, I might as well continue on to Mojave since High Sierra would require another download and update anyway. I'll report back once I get everything situated. The only reason I installed HS was because I assumed the Nvidia drivers would work.

Alright. Since I've already formatted, I might as well continue on to Mojave since High Sierra would require another download and update anyway. I'll report back once I get everything situated. The only reason I installed HS was because I assumed the Nvidia drivers would work.
I thought so too. But it turns out that these special High Sierra builds that were for the Mid 2018 MacBook Pros are super close in relation to Mojave. They are extremely similar, just without the added features of Mojave like Dark Mode. 17G65 (the normal build) is the last version of High Sierra that supports Nvidia drivers.

I thought so too. But it turns out that these special High Sierra builds that were for the Mid 2018 MacBook Pros are super close in relation to Mojave. They are extremely similar, just without the added features of Mojave like Dark Mode. 17G65 (the normal build) is the last version of High Sierra that supports Nvidia drivers.

Now that I've got Mojave installed I can report that..there's actually been a regression. I patched everything for the backlight fix the first time. Backlight works sometimes, other times not. However I do not have audio at all. The only time I *do* have it is through my TV with a usb-c to HDMI dongle. That's strange because audio over that dongle didn't work in High Sierra. I tried lowering the max DVMT to 128MB but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I'll go over the steps again to make sure I didn't miss anything (although with the way this is set up, Audio should be automatic since we had to install all the kexts). I do remember seeing audio in my System Profile at the beginning before I patched my DSDT and disabled Nvidia. Should it make a difference that I didn't restart between all the patching like the guide says? I didn't think it should.

EDIT: Just restarted with Nvidia enabled and audio....works. It got hung on the first boot with something about promiscuous mode. Hard reset and I'm back in. Going to test a few things and report back.

EDIT 2: So apparently, like before, sleep is completely broken with Nvidia enabled. But that's also the only time audio works now. And when Nvidia is disabled, audio goes, but sleep is semi normal with backlight not working. I will note that I didn't install the Nvidia web drivers. I don't even think I could get those installed on Mojave using the script, but I also didn't try either.

I'm starting to think this has something to do with my newer BIOS given the differences in battery usage during sleep and the DVMT settings. It's only a matter of time before the black version gets updated.

Attachments

• debug_10340.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Now that I've got Mojave installed I can report that..there's actually been a regression. I patched everything for the backlight fix the first time. Backlight works sometimes, other times not. However I do not have audio at all. The only time I *do* have it is through my TV with a usb-c to HDMI dongle. That's strange because audio over that dongle didn't work in High Sierra. I tried lowering the max DVMT to 128MB but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I'll go over the steps again to make sure I didn't miss anything (although with the way this is set up, Audio should be automatic since we had to install all the kexts). I do remember seeing audio in my System Profile at the beginning before I patched my DSDT and disabled Nvidia. Should it make a difference that I didn't restart between all the patching like the guide says? I didn't think it should.

EDIT: Just restarted with Nvidia enabled and audio....works. It got hung on the first boot with something about promiscuous mode. Hard reset and I'm back in. Going to test a few things and report back.

EDIT 2: So apparently, like before, sleep is completely broken with Nvidia enabled. But that's also the only time audio works now. And when Nvidia is disabled, audio goes, but sleep is semi normal with backlight not working. I will note that I didn't install the Nvidia web drivers. I don't even think I could get those installed on Mojave using the script, but I also didn't try either.

I'm starting to think this has something to do with my newer BIOS given the differences in battery usage during sleep and the DVMT settings. It's only a matter of time before the black version gets updated.
Make sure you're using the latest version of Apple ALC for proper working audio in Mojave. There is a bug with the previous version that prevented it from working.
If the latest version still doesn't solve your audio issue with the Nvidia card disabled, navigate to System-Library-Extensions and find AppleGFXHDA.kext and rename it to .bak

Post your debug file to here for the black screen issue: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...offeelake-uhd-630.261131/page-44#post-1880347

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back