Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC Monterey Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme + Core i5 10500 / i9 10900K

Oooh, totally agree, I actually spent quite a bit of time getting my latest rig up and running, and did not hit the very helpful Middleman up for assistance during that time (despite what I wrote above, I was just giving Middleman the credit he was due).I took what Middleman had provided,and adapted / tested / updated etc. You'll note that I was an active contributor to these forums back in the day :), however my last rig was so bulletproof, I rarely needed to modify. Hence why I asked for a link to a guide or a post that would assist, rather than a solution / copy / paste. Totally appreciate how big this community has become, and all the assistance from the mods and super-users like Middleman
Aww thank you, you're too kind. ;) I'm only just trying to help and chip in my bit. I wanna say I too wouldn't have gotten far without the help and support of others (over the years). There are too many to mention but Rehabman, Tonymac, the mods (Stork, Utterdisbelief, Feartech, JamesBond007, trs96, P1LGR1M, CaseySJ, GigaMaxxx, pastrychef, EdHawk, Going Bald, MacMan, Toleda, Brebo), Miliuco, vit9696, kgp, Shanee & PikerRAlpha are some of those I'd like to thank. Without their support it would have been a lot more harder to do hackintoshing. :)

Middleman, until you wrote out that list of names, it did not really hit me, but that same list of people are the ones that are my "go to" for advice, guidance, and ideas on how to solve problems. The Pantheon of Hackintosh Gods. Can't say enough thank you's for their work.

So I have a put up a big new OC 0.7.8 update for the Z490 board with a number of fixes. Anyone interested can now upgrade to Monterey 12 or greater. The only issue I seem to be having is the sound and the 2.5GBe ports at the moment but it should work okay in general.

Last edited:
Just found the update to OC 0.7.8 has brought a small bump in performance.

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 10.12.50 AM.png

In my 10900 build at 5.0 GHz all-core the multicore benchmark is solidly at 11300+. This suggests further tuning can get you another 10+ percent.

My single core is exactly the same at 1320. I believe the mobo reliably self selects 5.2 GHz for single core because there's no thermal challenge.

I haven't myself seen OC charges provide any benchmark effects in my rig.

I have seen that slight multicore overclock freq tweak provides an unexpected gain in video transcode performance, such that 2 percent clock seems to yield 8 percent work gain but I have not carefully studied the effect and I may be wrong.

Okay so I've put up a new update again for the OC 0.7.8 that fully fixes the sound (everything works including digital out). However this fix also includes a very important patch for the AQC107. It is the AQC107 kernel patch v3 which fixes the 10GBe issues with Monterey 12.3+. However to use it you must also enabled VT-d in the BIOS as DisableIOMapper is also disabled.

I have separated the update into two sections - one for 12 beta to 12.2 users and one strictly for 12.3+ users. If you haven't updated Monterey to 12.3 or enabled VT-d in BIOS before using the 12.3 OC0.7.8 EFI you may find the system may crash because of the AQC107 v3 patch.

Hi Middleman, I tried the 12.3+, and I lost wifi and bluetooth (I use a TP-Link Dongle) , so not sure it's the go for me.
At this stage, with a 10850k, I have VDA, Wifi, Bluetooth and a working Intel 2.5GB Lan, and all iCloud services inc FaceTime/iMessage. Interestingly, your EFI gave me both the AQC107 Lan as well as the I225 Lan operating, but I want wifi and bluetooth for HomePods / Airdrop / Airplay / Headphones, etc. Its running as an iMac20,2, and doesn't seem to have an issue with up's or freezing. Thanks again for the hard yards.

Hi Middleman, I tried the 12.3+, and I lost wifi and bluetooth (I use a TP-Link Dongle) , so not sure it's the go for me.
At this stage, with a 10850k, I have VDA, Wifi, Bluetooth and a working Intel 2.5GB Lan, and all iCloud services inc FaceTime/iMessage. Interestingly, your EFI gave me both the AQC107 Lan as well as the I225 Lan operating, but I want wifi and bluetooth for HomePods / Airdrop / Airplay / Headphones, etc. Its running as an iMac20,2, and doesn't seem to have an issue with up's or freezing. Thanks again for the hard yards.
Ah I see, sorry to hear to that. As for the WiFi and Bluetooth using the TP-Link, maybe it is using a Broadcom chipset? In which case you'll need to look at using these kexts (and disable the current Intel-based ones you have): AirportBRCMFixup.kext, BlueToolFixup.kext, BrcmPatchRAM3.kext and BrcmFirmwareData.kext. Most of these files can be found with the BRCMPatchRAM release here. You should try the latest one > https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM

Back