Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC Monterey Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme + Core i5 10500 / i9 10900K

Hi Bergier3K,

Glad to hear you finally got your drive. As for the drive data copying, unfortunately I don't think the CCC is going to help.

CCC works to make a bootable clone for both Big Sur and Monterey.

Use the Legacy Bootable Backup assistant.

Rules:

- The system must be running the macOS to be cloned or the result won't boot.
- The target must be formatted APFS so CCC will recognize it.
- Click on target to find Legacy Asst. The Legacy Asst depends on Apple APFS system Replication Utility to perform the clone. This is not CCC code.
- The clone requires erasing the target.
- If any IO error occurs on the source or target the clone operation fails with a cryptic error that doesn't explain an IO error occurred
- You can make incremental (regular) backups to the resulting clone using CCC if no Apple SW has been updated since the original clone.
- On Big Sur the clone has the same volume name as the target and changing it using Finder or Disk Utility doesn't update a text file used by boot loaders to display the volume name. This can be fixed by editing that file, but finding it is a PITA because it's in the APFS Preboot partition and its path gets overlaid by another directory in a running system.

hth

@c-o-pr Sorry I didn't see your message ! Thanx for the heads up, I will keep it in mind for the future.

@Middleman I finally have the PCIe Broadcom working, I thought it might interest you to know, just to have a better view of that great build.

I tried a million tweaks and nothing worked, including booting with an old and bare OC USB drive, with an almost empty Config, to remove potential problematic kexts, quirks etc... and that didn't work either (got to the desktop though).

In the end I just plugged the PCIe adapter + Broadcom card in the top PCIe slot (1x 16x) and the GPU in the second one (2x 8x), and it worked out of the box, in a split second. Isn't that weird ? Especially because reversing that order didn't work at all...

I also updated OC to 8.0 and so far so good, but I'm using neither Ethernet nor audio on board.

I have some last questions if you have a bit of time, just to do some cleanup in the Config.

I noticed some SSDTs not enabled in the Config, but I don't know what they are for exactly, could you elaborate briefly, so I know if I can delete them or not?

SSDT-DMAR
SSDT-DMAC
SSDT-TB3HP (Thunderbolt maybe ? Does it mean that Thunderbolt is not activated on the card if this SSDT is not enabled ? I dont have a TB device to test the ports yet)
SSDT-RHUB (Dortania recommends having it enabled for Gigabyte motherboards if I'm not mistaken.)

Besides that, I think this is a pretty sweet build, with a really good lifetime in front of it. Have you tried to update to 12.4 ? I might give it a shot before wrapping the build up and moving all the hardware to the new case (Fractal design Torrent C, great case, I recommend it).

Just so you know what's possible assuming unlocked

I've been revisiting 10900K overclock performance and have measured GB5 at 1460 / 11500 training Asus AI overclock under Monterey.

This is 5.2GHz single and 5GHz multi and stable. Runs all day at 88–95C.

RAM is XMP 3600, all four slots populated. Slower RAM might reduce scores by a couple percent.

It averages about 250W at full bore, so strong cooling de-rigueur.

I find Asus AI OC takes pain out of finding clock limit at specified temp. If I had better control over ambient temps, it would run at 5.1Ghz multicore sustained, but my room gets to 80F and this leads me to 100C package temp which is practical max. It will halt if it hits 105C in the chip.

I offer this just to share what I've found to be possible.

I am replacing 10900K with 11900K for grins. I use a z590. It was my intent to use RocketLake when I built this system in April '21, but those chips were not quite available. With little experience in hacks and overclocking, other concerns overwhelmed my choice. Then world turned upside down since then with AppleSi. I have a PCI4 GPU and NVMe on hand so there's something to learn by upgrading. The 11900 will enable these and should bump single core to AppleSi zone. So basically I will have a M1 Max for twice the cost and 10x the power and space LOL!

This hacking stuff has really paid off

Hi @Middleman I bother you a bit more (hopefully the last time!)

I have some last questions if you have a bit of time, just to do some cleanup in the Config.

I noticed some SSDTs not enabled in the Config, but I don't know what they are for exactly, could you elaborate briefly, so I know if I can delete them or not?

SSDT-DMAR
SSDT-DMAC
SSDT-TB3HP (Thunderbolt maybe ? Does it mean that Thunderbolt is not activated on the card if this SSDT is not enabled ? I dont have a TB device to test the ports yet)
SSDT-RHUB (Dortania recommends having it enabled for Gigabyte motherboards if I'm not mistaken.)

Cheers!

Hi @Middleman I bother you a bit more (hopefully the last time!)

SSDT-DMAR
SSDT-DMAC

Cheers!

Hi Bergier3K,

Sorry for the long wait - I somehow (strangely) didn't realise you'd sent me a post! I must've gotten busy and forgotten about it briefly.

Okay, to answer your query:

SSDT-DMAR - DMA remapping I believe? I hardly use it
SSDT-DMAC - adds Apple hardware as virtual-only devices
SSDT-TB3HP - Thunderbolt 3 Hotplug driver (do not delete if you have Thunderbolt on your motherboard)
SSDT-RHUB - for Z490 devices such as Asus motherboards which has broken ACPI for USB. Shouldn't be needed for Asus Z370 series boards like yours.

Hi Middleman,

No worries ! Thanx for the clarifications.

SSDT-RHUB - for Z490 devices such as Asus motherboards which has broken ACPI for USB. Shouldn't be needed for Asus Z370 series boards like yours.
I actually have the same board as yours Z490 xtreme. But after further reading, this SSDT applies mainly for ASUS Z490 and not for Gigabyte, well if I understand correctly.

I enabled SSDT-TB3HP, but the hotplug on the USB-C rear ports doesn't work, I have to boot with the device plugged in for it to be recognized, that's odd.

Have you ever tested a USB 3.2 type C drive on this build? Mine works erratically. Sometimes i plug it and MacOS sees it, but 9 times out of 10, the drive is simply no present at all (but another USB 3.0 drive works perfectly in the same port).

It feels like the usb ports behave like if there was no USBport.kext, sometimes some are on, and after reboot they are off. To my knowledge my board is exactly the same version as yours, so the USB map should be working, no ?

Do you think it is worth it to make a new USBport.kext ?

Hi Middleman,

No worries ! Thanx for the clarifications.

I actually have the same board as yours Z490 xtreme. But after further reading, this SSDT applies mainly for ASUS Z490 and not for Gigabyte, well if I understand correctly.

I enabled SSDT-TB3HP, but the hotplug on the USB-C rear ports doesn't work, I have to boot with the device plugged in for it to be recognized, that's odd.

Have you ever tested a USB 3.2 type C drive on this build? Mine works erratically. Sometimes i plug it and MacOS sees it, but 9 times out of 10, the drive is simply no present at all (but another USB 3.0 drive works perfectly in the same port).

It feels like the usb ports behave like if there was no USBport.kext, sometimes some are on, and after reboot they are off. To my knowledge my board is exactly the same version as yours, so the USB map should be working, no ?

Do you think it is worth it to make a new USBport.kext ?
Right. Well I think I left it there SSDT-RHUB during my tests (and also for Asus users to try).

As for the hotplug issue, that is actually normal behaviour for the SSDT if you haven't flashed the TB chip.
For the USB 3.2, yes I had and they seemed to work fine. Did you try to enable the SSDT-UIAC as well as the SSDT-EC-USBX and USBPorts? For the Thunderbolt you must also enable SSDT-DTPG in addition to the SSDT-TB3HP for it to work properly.

For the USBPorts issue, if you have problems it may be worth trying out USBMap instead and remapping the ports - you'll have to enable USBInjectall and disable any other USBPorts kext to do this. It could well be that I'd disabled that very port you were trying because I was being selective with my USB ports build and busy trying to bring it below to the 15 ports limit threshold.

As for further improving the build, it may be worth looking into your DSDT and see if it needs any XHC port controller renames.

Thanx again !

I will investigate a bit more next week, and I still have to try another USB 3.2 device, mine could also be defective, or just not getting along with MacOS (that happens more often than not, especially with Sandisk ones).

Regarding the TB chip flash, no, I hadn't look into it since I didn't have a TB or USB C device then. Is there a guide to follow ? I try to look but I can't identify if the Z490 Xtreme has Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge... (I'm a complete Thunderbolt virgin and quite ignorant on the subject !).

Cheers !

Thanx again !

I will investigate a bit more next week, and I still have to try another USB 3.2 device, mine could also be defective, or just not getting along with MacOS (that happens more often than not, especially with Sandisk ones).

Regarding the TB chip flash, no, I hadn't look into it since I didn't have a TB or USB C device then. Is there a guide to follow ? I try to look but I can't identify if the Z490 Xtreme has Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge... (I'm a complete Thunderbolt virgin and quite ignorant on the subject !).

Cheers !
Okay! Well in that case it would be worth checking out the ports and see how they respond under say USBMap. Better to use a tool that can help you diagnose the issue which I think USBMap is. If anything try also enabling SSDT-UIAC on top of SSDT-EC-USX and your usual USBInjectall to see where the issue is.

As for the Thunderbolt, yes there is. Search for CaseySJ's guide on the Gigabyte Z490 builds he has them there.
And FYI the chipset on the Z490 is Titan Ridge (3rd gen).

You're welcome!

Back