Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC Monterey Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme + Core i5 10500 / i9 10900K

@redshift82r Thanx for the heads up, the same motherboard is on my desk waiting to receive a new cpu and a new case (just opening the box is an experience on its own!). What makes you think the problem is related to the 10Gbe ? Could you guys post a little update when/if you got that figured out ?

Also, @Middleman what SMBIOS did you originally use for this build ? I hadn't ponder on that yet, but i guessed imac20,1 or imac20,2 from the top of my head.

Cheers!
I used iMac 20,2 which seemed to work well till now. I'll post everything inc EFI when I get it running again (maybe this weekend) Going to do an OC upgrade to 8.0. I've got a backup image of the pre 12.3 upgrade, so if worst comes to worst, I'll just copy back, get it working with OC 8.0 and retry the upgrade.

I used iMac 20,2 which seemed to work well till now. I'll post everything inc EFI when I get it running again (maybe this weekend) Going to do an OC upgrade to 8.0. I've got a backup image of the pre 12.3 upgrade, so if worst comes to worst, I'll just copy back, get it working with OC 8.0 and retry the upgrade.
Have you looked at using OCAT? It seems to be a great new method of upgrading OC.
> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...y-to-perform-opencore-version-upgrade.317963/

Have you looked at using OCAT? It seems to be a great new method of upgrading OC.
> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...y-to-perform-opencore-version-upgrade.317963/
Thanks for that!! Um, well, the news from this afternoon is that I now have 12.3 running, still with OC 7.6. It was one of the onboard LAN ports that froze it as it came through to desktop. Basically seems to be Onboard Lan Controller #2. Onboard 1 is enabled, but does not appear. Wifi takes a few attempts (delete and re-join) to get connected. I'll have to do some digging. Previously the Intel Lan port worked OOB, as did the WiFi, so not sure what is going on. Ok, further investigation tonight and I found this in the OC guide.

The boot-arg for enabling Intel I225-V ethernet controller has changed since macOS Monterey 12.3.
Use e1000=0 instead of dk.e1000=0.

This allows you to get through to the desktop without freezing when Onboard Lan#2 is enabled in Bios, but the previously working I225-V Ethernet continuously connects then drops connection. Brings me back to an update to OC 8.0 and seeing if I can get the 10gbe Lan working.

#

Last edited:
Thanks for that!! Um, well, the news from this afternoon is that I now have 12.3 running, still with OC 7.6. It was one of the onboard LAN ports that froze it as it came through to desktop. Basically seems to be Onboard Lan Controller #2. Onboard 1 is enabled, but does not appear. Wifi takes a few attempts (delete and re-join) to get connected. I'll have to do some digging. Previously the Intel Lan port worked OOB, as did the WiFi, so not sure what is going on. Ok, further investigation tonight and I found this in the OC guide.

The boot-arg for enabling Intel I225-V ethernet controller has changed since macOS Monterey 12.3.
Use e1000=0 instead of dk.e1000=0.

This allows you to get through to the desktop without freezing when Onboard Lan#2 is enabled in Bios, but the previously working I225-V Ethernet continuously connects then drops connection. Brings me back to an update to OC 8.0 and seeing if I can get the 10gbe Lan working.

#

Alright. I think I might know what the problem is. Try to remove any remaining Intel I-225V patches or kexts and then rename the 1st LAN port device-id as F2158680 and the 2nd port as F3158680 (for Monterey).

For the 10GBe port, there is a fix mentioned by Vit9696 from Dortania. There is a new ForceAquantiaEthernet quirk added to OC 0.8.0 mentioned by rankrotten here, but it will disable WiFi when enabled. It may even even disable backplane USB or LAN ports when DisableIOMapper (required for this patch) is set to false. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hernet-for-big-sur.305261/page-8#post-2313692

Alright. I think I might know what the problem is. Try to remove any remaining Intel I-225V patches or kexts and then rename the 1st LAN port device-id as F2158680 and the 2nd port as F3158680 (for Monterey).
Middleman, can I ask how you determined this to be the problem? I'd like to understand the troubleshooting process for the future.
Seeing as how I shamelessly copied your basic hardware and EFI's to get a working system with barely any effort, I have absolutely no clue on how to go about this. Would this be done in OC, or is it a DSDT compile thing?
Can you point me at a guide or post that lays out some details? Happy to read and learn, but when I search for "hackintosh rename device ID" most of the results relate to USB port mapping. Thanks in advance.

For the 10GBe port, there is a fix mentioned by Vit9696 from Dortania. There is a new ForceAquantiaEthernet quirk added to OC 0.8.0 mentioned by rankrotten here, but it will disable WiFi when enabled. It may even even disable backplane USB or LAN ports when DisableIOMapper (required for this patch) is set to false. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hernet-for-big-sur.305261/page-8#post-2313692
If I can get the I225V working, that would be a great step, as the WiFi doesnt appear to be working particularly well. It's connected, but not having great throughput. Happy to try OC 8.0 and the quirk once I have the Intel port working.

Because
Middleman, can I ask how you determined this to be the problem? I'd like to understand the troubleshooting process for the future.
Seeing as how I shamelessly copied your basic hardware and EFI's to get a working system with barely any effort, I have absolutely no clue on how to go about this. Would this be done in OC, or is it a DSDT compile thing?
Can you point me at a guide or post that lays out some details? Happy to read and learn, but when I search for "hackintosh rename device ID" most of the results relate to USB port mapping. Thanks in advance.

If I can get the I225V working, that would be a great step, as the WiFi doesnt appear to be working particularly well. It's connected, but not having great throughput. Happy to try OC 8.0 and the quirk once I have the Intel port working.
Um well, because I have written a guide about it here (based upon my own experiences and testing) for configuring under the different OSes. >

As for the device rename I did not mention the 2nd device renaming there, but those steps is required if you run a dual port machine. FYI I know it should work because I also have a B550 board that uses them (hence the recommendation).

For the WiFi, try to disable itlwm if you have it and use only Airportitlwm for Monterey. That should work.

Most of the troubleshooting comes from my previous experience diagnosing issues for myself and others, and also comparing builds (you can use tools like OCConfigCompare or Opencore Configurator). It works better once you have a full working system (hence have a working template to work with).

I have written a guide about it here (based upon my own experiences and testing) for configuring under the different OSes.
Seeing as how I shamelessly copied your basic hardware and EFI's to get a working system
@redshift82r The best way to learn any subject is to teach it to other people. The only way to be able to do that is to put in the work to figure things out without the crutch of copying and pasting someone else's work. It means you go through the process step by step, fixing problems when things don't work. That's the best way to become competent in hackintoshing. Much of it simply involves becoming good at searching for and reading documentation on the subject. I've found that by writing guides and making tutorial videos over the last 8 years I've benefitted greatly by all the input and feedback I've gotten from readers/viewers of these. They have questions, want things clarified, and that helps me learn even more than I would have on my own.

Last edited:
Because

Um well, because I have written a guide about it here (based upon my own experiences and testing) for configuring under the different OSes. >

As for the device rename I did not mention the 2nd device renaming there, but those steps is required if you run a dual port machine. FYI I know it should work because I also have a B550 board that uses them (hence the recommendation).

For the WiFi, try to disable itlwm if you have it and use only Airportitlwm for Monterey. That should work.

Most of the troubleshooting comes from my previous experience diagnosing issues for myself and others, and also comparing builds (you can use tools like OCConfigCompare or Opencore Configurator). It works better once you have a full working system (hence have a working template to work with).
Haha, thanks for that, I shall dive in and learn from the master!
I find I'm fairly time poor at the moment for this, and getting pointed i the right direction is a huge help, so thanks again!

@redshift82r The best way to learn any subject is to teach it to other people. The only way to be able to do that is to put in the work to figure things out without the crutch of copying and pasting someone else's work. It means you go through the process step by step, fixing problems when things don't work. That's the best way to become competent in hackintoshing. Much of it simply involves becoming good at searching for and reading documentation on the subject. I've found that by writing guides and making tutorial videos over the last 8 years I've benefitted greatly by all the input and feedback I've gotten from readers/viewers of these. They have questions, want things clarified, and that helps me learn even more than I would have on my own.
Oooh, totally agree, I actually spent quite a bit of time getting my latest rig up and running, and did not hit the very helpful Middleman up for assistance during that time (despite what I wrote above, I was just giving Middleman the credit he was due).I took what Middleman had provided,and adapted / tested / updated etc. You'll note that I was an active contributor to these forums back in the day :), however my last rig was so bulletproof, I rarely needed to modify. Hence why I asked for a link to a guide or a post that would assist, rather than a solution / copy / paste. Totally appreciate how big this community has become, and all the assistance from the mods and super-users like Middleman

Back