Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Y50 (UHD or 1080p) using Clover UEFI (10.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me begin by saying that sarcasm won't get you far on this forum. Don't expect everyone to spoonfeed you. We will however happily answer questions that are not described elsewhere.
A little bit of research and reading will go a long way, especially because you will definitely run into bugs in the process.

I feel sarcasm was appropriate seeing as your first reply was pointing me to the thread i'm reading.
I didn't mean to offend, it's just if you've already took the time to reply, a helpful reply would be appreciated.

I read the thread talking about the process but he's talking about an acer bios with different file names (I've never in my life had to work with bios files so I would prefer clear instructions)
and the bios files given in the top of the thread (1.13 and 1.14) don't contain anything that would resemble what he's describing.
I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

I feel sarcasm was appropriate seeing as your first reply was pointing me to the thread i'm reading.
I didn't mean to offend, it's just if you've already took the time to reply, a helpful reply would be appreciated.

I read the thread talking about the process but he's talking about an acer bios with different file names (I've never in my life had to work with bios files so I would prefer clear instructions)
and the bios files given in the top of the thread (1.13 and 1.14) don't contain anything that would resemble what he's describing.
I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

I think you missed a good portion of what that post said "This guide has been used on an Acer V3-371-58C2 but should be very similar for other InsydeH20 bios". Y50 also uses InsydeH20 bios, and the first post in this thread already tells you what the variables are for 128mb. You can skip all the sections trying to figure out the variable. Just follow the usb creation and boot instructions to set the variable

As for if you think that my original response called for sarcasm, then you'll be using it a LOT :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've followed the guide, created the USB as per the guide linked here and now when I plug in the USB and reboot, the laptop hangs at boot screen - either just black screen or "Lenovo" logo. In other words I can't boot from USB and reach Clover. Previously I tried installing OS X using unibeast and it was loading Clover and reaching installer with no problems so I guess the USB port is not the issue. Any help?
I'm sorry if my question has already been answered somewhere in the thread, but I felt like running through 180 pages of posts wasn't the best idea. Thanks in advance :)

I was able to boot the USB and run the installer, now it hangs at about 3/4 of the progress bar. I reran it few times with no greater success. I'm attaching a pic of the screen where it hangs and eventually "blacks out" after few minutes
mac hang.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for the great tutorial, El Capitan installed successfully, but have problem when tried to boot with connected usb device (wireless usb mouse, android device) - stuck at Lenovo logo before Clover Menu. If usb devices are disconnected at boot time it loads fine. As I understand from debug.log it stuck at LoadDrivers() start:
Code:
1:920  0:112  Default theme: bluemac
1:945  0:024  Hiding entries with string \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
1:970  0:025  LoadDrivers() start

Hey guys, I've followed the guide, created the USB as per the guide linked here and now when I plug in the USB and reboot, the laptop hangs at boot screen - either just black screen or "Lenovo" logo. In other words I can't boot from USB and reach Clover. Previously I tried installing OS X using unibeast and it was loading Clover and reaching installer with no problems so I guess the USB port is not the issue. Any help?
I'm sorry if my question has already been answered somewhere in the thread, but I felt like running through 180 pages of posts wasn't the best idea. Thanks in advance :)

I was able to boot the USB and run the installer, now it hangs at about 3/4 of the progress bar. I reran it few times with no greater success. I'm attaching a pic of the screen where it hangs and eventually "blacks out" after few minutes
View attachment 205131

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

Hello, thanks for the great tutorial, El Capitan installed successfully, but have problem when tried to boot with connected usb device (wireless usb mouse, android device) - stuck at Lenovo logo before Clover Menu. If usb devices are disconnected at boot time it loads fine. As I understand from debug.log it stuck at LoadDrivers() start:
Code:
1:920  0:112  Default theme: bluemac
1:945  0:024  Hiding entries with string \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
1:970  0:025  LoadDrivers() start

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

Hi again, I've updated my signature. I managed to install El Capitan and followed all the steps in this tut, the only thing I couldn't achieve is boot from HDD without the use of the USB. I followed the steps to install clover to OS X partition but it wasn't very clear as to which components/options should I install.

Hi again, I've updated my signature. I managed to install El Capitan and followed all the steps in this tut, the only thing I couldn't achieve is boot from HDD without the use of the USB. I followed the steps to install clover to OS X partition but it wasn't very clear as to which components/options should I install.

Initially, you setup Clover on your HDD essentially the same way you did for USB. Differences are noted in the guide.

Hi all,

After the downgrade to Bios 1.14, I have updated the DVMT prealloc, everything work finde.
But adter the update Bios to 3.03 the prealloc has been changed back to 0 MB.
Somebody an idea....
Thank you for the really good work and help on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back