Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad T440S [OpenCore 0.6.7]

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who steal my work and add a paypal and btc/ethereum link to get money from others work no credits given or source explained, fair enough but i guess i will license all my github projects just to be clear and so people can have some manners :).
After all, all these ThinkPad Haswell series have been hotpatched by me, i was the first one to put out this technique right after RehabMan implemented that.
@Sniki as always, myself and many others appreciate your constant updates for this machine and computer. I wished I had more time to tinker and contribute - if I did, I absolutely would.

For now, I need to stay on Mojave for software compatibility issues. But as soon as I can get past those, I plan on doing a clean install of Catalina using your new guide. In the meantime, if there's any issues that other users come across, I'd be happy to help try to implement workarounds or solutions. I'm specifically curious about how to get around the audio problem...I'm sure there's an elegant way we can do that. Let me think about it.

@Sniki as always, myself and many others appreciate your constant updates for this machine and computer. I wished I had more time to tinker and contribute - if I did, I absolutely would.
Thanks, i am aware of that, im just saying other people from other forums, no complaints for someone here, it's a pleasure to work with all of you there.
I see many guides with my files all over the other hackintosh forums and 0 credits given and claiming they did the work.

No Problem about that, you already do help a lot with the constant feedback and already did a lot for these T440S in the community as initially i had no T440S and optimized it completely based on your feedback and others as well.
For now, I need to stay on Mojave for software compatibility issues.
I will actually do the same tomorrow, since i do have a 13" MacBookPro Retina (early 2015) running latest Catalina as my daily driver, i will install Mojave on my T440S for compatibility with 32-bit apps.

TouchScreen doesn't seem to work on Catalina with OpenCore 0.5.8, last time i tried was OpenCore 0.5.7 running latest Mojave and it worked perfect minus the Card Reader that just started being developed by Coloman.
I guess they did some changes
Will soon come back to troubleshoot Audio and i will eventually find a way to fix that problem once and for all.

Just enabled OpenCanopy and it looks great, it's like the native Apple Bootloader but it's still not ready yet for release.
Maybe on the next one, if you noticed they are replacing the boot management on OpenCore which will be much faster.

I'd be happy to help try to implement workarounds or solutions. I'm specifically curious about how to get around the audio problem...I'm sure there's an elegant way we can do that. Let me think about it.
MacPeet version seems fine for now, will do some little tweaking and add Dock support.
Until i discover how this Jack works, i will look for ways on making a kext or sort of daemon like ALCPlugFix but something that simply does switch Output and Input automatically when a jack gets plugged in.

Thank you all for the support !

Try EC reset or there is something else interfering, it is working fine for me.

If that doesnt work, upload ioreg and kextcache output
I can confirm the EC reset did the trick for me, thanks for the tip! I'm currently on the old layout-id. I presume that if someone is using the new AppleALC without CodecCommander and having these issues, they need to reset the EC as well.

@Sniki thanks for the guide but I have some problems booting the OpenCore.

I created the USB with Option 1 and copied your EFI to the EFI partition. When I select to boot from the USB I get a menu

IMG_2043.jpg

It boots 1.EFI but default which just shows Clover, so not the correct option.

If I choose 2. Mac then macOS boots but I do not think it is booted with OpenCore. The boot process is slow as with Clover and when I go to About this Mac it still says Macbook Air (clover definition) not Macbook Pro (OpenCore definition).

What I am doing wrong?

@Sniki also I think one more thing needs clarification in the preparation step.

The Serial Number, UUID, MLB can be copied from Clover, no problem. But in Clover as ROM I just have UseMacAddr0. This means using mac address from Ethernet card. How do I convert it to the 6 bytes required?

Say my mac is 28:d2:44:d8:eb:3c. If I convert it ta a byte array I get 40, 210, 68, 216, 235, 60 as the bytes. But entering this in PlistEdit Pro makes the value 8 bytes not the 6 bytes needed.

@Sniki thanks for the guide but I have some problems booting the OpenCore.

I created the USB with Option 1 and copied your EFI to the EFI partition. When I select to boot from the USB I get a menu

View attachment 468106

It boots 1.EFI but default which just shows Clover, so not the correct option.

If I choose 2. Mac then macOS boots but I do not think it is booted with OpenCore. The boot process is slow as with Clover and when I go to About this Mac it still says Macbook Air (clover definition) not Macbook Pro (OpenCore definition).

What I am doing wrong?
Problem Reporting files so i can have a look.
Say my mac is 28:d2:44:d8:eb:3c. If I convert it ta a byte array I get 40, 210, 68, 216, 235, 60 as the bytes. But entering this in PlistEdit Pro makes the value 8 bytes not the 6 bytes needed.
You should not convert it.
Yours should be: 28d244d8eb3c

Problem Reporting files so i can have a look.

You should not convert it.
Yours should be: 28d244d8eb3c

Actually I now think I booted with OpenCore as loaded kexts are different (no CodecCommander, present SMCLightSensor that I do not use with Clover) and I need to manually switch input when connecting headphones.

It is just strange that the boot was not faster and that the About dialogs still shows Macbook Air, although now with Intel HD 4400 1536 MB instead of 2048 MB when booted with Clover.

Maybe the Macbook Air shown in About can be explained by copying the serial numbers from Clover that were maybe generated specifically for Macbook Air. But I do not get why the boot is not faster, it does the same things as with Clover (same number of display blinks, etc).

I will post the troubleshooting data when I have a bit more time later.

I guess my last Catalina 10.15.4 USB Installer was somehow corrupted, i just re-installed macOS Mojave and everything seems to be working fine, including the Card Reader.

I enabled OpenCanopy (the new GUI interface) of OpenCore and it looks like Apple Bootloader and it seems great.
Next update (0.5.9) includes the new boot manager which should make it significantly faster than it already is.

Actually I now think I booted with OpenCore as loaded kexts are different (no CodecCommander, present SMCLightSensor that I do not use with Clover) and I need to manually switch input when connecting headphones.

It is just strange that the boot was not faster and that the About dialogs still shows Macbook Air, although now with Intel HD 4400 1536 MB instead of 2048 MB when booted with Clover.

Maybe the Macbook Air shown in About can be explained by copying the serial numbers from Clover that were maybe generated specifically for Macbook Air. But I do not get why the boot is not faster, it does the same things as with Clover (same number of display blinks, etc).

I will post the troubleshooting data when I have a bit more time later.

So everything seems to be working fine so far. The MacBook Air definition is only a GUI thing in the About dialog, the real definition is MacBook Pro as in the Opencore config.

@Sniki iMessage works for me with the data from my Clover config, I did a few tests sending and receiving and it worked.

Thanks to this I'm booting opencore from USB without doing much in-depth research :)

I ran into 2 issues in the config:
  1. FileVault - I had to sprinkle in the config from https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/post-install/security.html. From a quick config diff, I changed PollAppleHotKeys, AuthRestart (optional), AppleSmcIo, and FirmwareVolume.
  2. dw1820 wireless - I went to port the clover device properties over, and spotted the brcmfx-driver bit in the config. Tried just deleting the # to enable the driver, vs copying a bunch of properties I had in Clover, and it worked. I also noticed that there's no BrcmFirmwareData.kext included, so I jammed that in ... in theory shouldn't be a problem unless there's a firmware update.
I didn't have to port over the RAM config bits for 12GB of RAM, which was nice. Linux and Windows both figured this out automagically when booted from Clover, but OSX wasn't happy without extra Clover config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back