Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> GUIDE: Legion y530 MOJAVE 10.14 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rcc622
If possible, create a new post in the Catalina thread.

Updated EFI and BIOS modification guide
updated my my y530 from mojave directly to catalina 10.15.2 successfully with your guide and EFI, ONLY issue i'm having is SIDECAR isn't working thats all.
P.s.
Truly thankful to xiaoM4095 dedication to giving an almost impossible update to possible to y530 Catalina update, really appreciated. Just wish there was walk-around to acceleration to Intel 630 graphics to fully enjoy Apple TV contents and from safari

Last edited:
If I install High Sierra for y530/y540, does NVIDIA driver work?

I have a problem while fresh installing 10.15

When I changed Debug Serial Port to Leagacy UART in advanced menu and used EFI 3.0, it has this problem

0A869B75-19C7-41D1-B376-B5FE60E77A6F.jpeg

@rcc622
If possible, create a new post in the Catalina thread.
HERE IS THE NEW THREAD, PLEASE POST HERE

GUIDE for dual booting Windows 10 AND macOS Mojave on SAME drive :

OK, I am writing this post in order to help others who want to install both OS on same drive. Installing 2 OS on same drive may seem to be hard. But, following this guide, it will be easy...

NOTES:
> I followed steps from THIS LINK.
> There is another way to do this also. (Installing macOS first, then Windows). But for some reason, that didn't work. I did it another way, that I have shared here.
> Before doing this process, TAKE BACKUP of all the data. All data will be erased.
> I have tested this on Mojave (10.14) and it works perfectly. Though not tested with 10.15, I don't think it will cause problems. It should be fine.
> As this laptop (Legion Y530) comes with dual drives (SSD+HDD), I have tested on Both of them. The process is similar on both. There is no additional step needed for SSD installation.

YOU WILL NEED:
> A bootable macOS USB drive.
> A bootable Windows 10 USB.
> Your system must be in UEFI mode. If not, please set first in BIOS settings.

STEPS:
> First, Boot the Windows installer.
> On setup screen, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt. Type below commands:

> diskpart (this will open disk partition utility.)
> list disk (this will list all disks on the system.)
> select disk X (from above command, note the disk number you want to install and place that number on X.) [e.g., select disk 1]
> clean (ALL data on disk will be erased permanently !!!)
> convert gpt (this will convert the disk to the GPT system.)
> create partition efi size=200 (This will create EFI partition of 200 MB size. Make sure to give size at least 200. Because, Apple wants the EFI partition to be sized more than or equal to 200 MB. Windows can work with even only 100 MB. So, windows can also work with 200 MB.)
> format fs=fat32 label="EFI" (format the partition having FAT32 filesystem.)
> exit
> exit

Now, you are on the setup screen again. Go ahead till you arrive the disk selection. On that screen, you will see some unallocated disk space on the drive you selected. (e.g., for 128 GB ssd, it will show around 118 GB or something like that.)

Click on that. (DONT FORMAT, Windows will do it for you!). Just click install. Windows will take care of everything.
After installing, run Windows. Open Disk Management Utility by typing diskmgmt.msc in Run.

Now, on the drive, only Windows will be there. Right click on that, and select 'Shrink drive'. Now enter the amount of space you want macOS to use (in MB). This will give you again Unallocated space.

Right click on that unallocated space, and click format. Do NOT assign drive letter, Format with NTFS. Rest everything default. (Remember the amount of size this partition has, this will be needed during macOS installation.)

Now, Boot Clover USB for macOS. When booted, open the disk utility.
Find the partition you recently formatted for NTFS. Erase that partition with HFS+J (macOS extended journaled).
Then, close disk utility and install on that partition you just erased.

So, the major part is over now...

What you have:
> A working installation of Windows that loads every time you start your laptop.
> Also working macOS installation that DOES NOT load until you start it from USB.

> Now, boot macOS from USB and mount the EFI partition(of the system) from 'Clover configurator' app. Open that in Finder.
> You have 2 EFI folders. (1 of system you recently mounted, and other one is your USB DRIVE).
> Now, copy everything from USB EFI to SYSTEM EFI. Before that, go to System EFI > BOOT and make a BACKUP of BOOTX64.efi file and delete that file from BOOT folder (OR, just rename that file).
> After copying the files (BOOT and CLOVER folder), you have done almost everything...

Now, you have clover inside the EFI partition, but that is not set as default BOOT option. For that boot Windows again. I use this tool: EasyUefi. Open that.

> Go to 'Manage EFI boot option'.
> Click on 'create new entry' button. (A Plus icon.)
> A new window will open. For type, set to 'Linux or other OS'. For description, write anything you want.
> Below, click on the EFI partition of the disk you are targeting. (Sometimes, it is auto-selected, but in some cases like EFI partitions on both drives, you have to select manually)
> Click on Browse. This will list files of your EFI partition.
> Go to EFI > Clover folder and select CLOVERX64.efi file and click OK. Again click OK.
> You will see a new boot entry. Click on that.
> Bring that to the upper most, by clicking the UP icon button.

And, that's it. You did it.
Now, you can restart the system and you get clover bootup. You can select Windows OR macOS from the clover menu.

Thanks.

Last edited:
@rcc622 Please add above post link in Post #1 so others can refer dual booting guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back