Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Motherboard
Intel NUC6i7KYK
CPU
i7-6770HQ
Graphics
iris Pro 580
I noticed that I had to add the kernel flag -disablegfxfirmware or mine would constantly fail updates following 10.14.4, is there a reason for this and did anyone else notice on their skylake nuc?
I had the same problem with my NUC6i7KYK. I tried the kernel flag you highlighted, thanks for posting it. With that flag, my NUC would boot, but the login screen would not show up.

I fixed it by deleting the firmware update files in the EFI/APPLE folder when during the Catalina upgrade process the IGPU firmware update would otherwise fail, with a retry-loop until panic. I used the EFI shell to delete those files, though I could have done so using the recovery partition or using a USB EFI boot drive and another machine. The installation completed and everything looks good.

Motherboard
Intel NUC6i7KYK
CPU
i7-6770HQ
Graphics
iris Pro 580
I had the same problem with my NUC6i7KYK. I tried the kernel flag you highlighted, thanks for posting it. With that flag, my NUC would boot, but the login screen would not show up.

I fixed it by deleting the firmware update files in the EFI/APPLE folder when during the Catalina upgrade process the IGPU firmware update would otherwise fail, with a retry-loop until panic. I used the EFI shell to delete those files, though I could have done so using the recovery partition or using a USB EFI boot drive and another machine. The installation completed and everything looks good.
Hi!

I'm triying to install Mojave at my NUC6i7KYK. Install is complete, and then, the OS loading screen ends with a glitch screen (green and blue colors). I can see the mouse pointer, but it dissapear when I click on screen. Nothing works.

Could you share a copy of your EFI folder please? I'm completely lost at this point.

I'va attached the preboot.log

Thanks!

Attachments

Motherboard
Intel NUC6i7KYK
CPU
i7-6770HQ
Graphics
iris Pro 580

Hy, I was trying to do a clean install with catalina, but I got the retry-loop error so tried your solution but it didn't help. Do you have any other idea?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel NUC6i7KYK
CPU
i7-6770HQ
Graphics
iris Pro 580
Hy, I was trying to do a clean install with catalina, but I got the retry-loop error so tried your solution but it didn't help. Do you have any other idea?
Same here, clean install of Catalina makes infinite loops. My results:

Catalina: Loops
Mojave: IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0
High Sierra: Works fine.

Motherboard
Intel NUC6i7KYK
CPU
i7-6770HQ
Graphics
iris Pro 580
Same here, clean install of Catalina makes infinite loops. My results:

Catalina: Loops
Mojave: IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0
High Sierra: Works fine.
So I had a free afternoon and I was able to get to the last part of the catalina install with a basic Clover config after that the error loop vould appear, that is when I used
nuc6 catalina efi folder
to boot into the last part and was able to finish the install. But the system was very buggy so I used the newest Clover version and updated kexts and started to update my old config.

I have attached the finished version, you should be able to use it after generating a couple serials with CloverConfigurator.

Sidenotes:
- I haven't checked if the files can be used to install Catalina (but I guess it should work)
- The full screen QuickTime bug is still there
- Can't get any useful sensor data into HWMonitor, but Intel Power Gadget works fine (If someone figures out the solution please reply :) )
- I marked with a red tag the kexts and drivers that I think are necessary the others might be removable but didn't have time to check it.

Hope this helps someone else

Attachments

Motherboard
Intel NUC6i7KYK
CPU
Intel Core i7-6770HQ
Graphics
Intel Iris Pro 580
hi does anybody else have the issue where if you put a video to play fullscreen with youtube it logs out and you have to log back in the pc...???? I'm on catalina btw
I had this problem and seemed to go away by setting the graphics device/platform ID to that of the HD 530 (0x19120000) (using iMac17,1 SMBIOS)

Code:
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>AAASGQ==</data>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>EhkAAA==</data>
Think the key part is that device-id, it can be spoofed to anything that a real Mac uses (Iris 540, etc) then full-screen videos play fine

Motherboard
Intel NUC6i3SKY
CPU
i3-6100U
Graphics
HD 520
Thank you RehabMan, I've successfully installed 10.15.4 on Intel NUC6i3SYK.

Tips:
FileVault didn't worked
Solution (2 new .kext + change from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC):

Internal Bluetooth 4.1 does work.
How? If you boot into windows first (Bluetooth firmware gets loaded) and restart into macOS. Now Bluetooth is working under macOS until the NUC looses power. (then you have to reboot into windows to make bluetooth work again)

Intel SpeedStep doesn't work
Solution: Use iMac17,1 instead of 16,2 definition in config.plist!
iMac 16,2 (originally Broadwell processor) doesn't support Intel SpeedStep. iMac 17,1 does (Because its originally a Skylake processor)

NVMe works out of the box on Catalina, no extra kext necessary.

Questions:

1.)
Front Audio Input/Output is not working (doesn't get shown inside macOS System Preferences)
Does this mean that AppleALC is useless and can be deleted?

2.)
Everything works without AptioMemoryFix.efi as well.
Does this mean that AptioMemoryFix is useless and can be deleted?

3.)
After deleting USBInjectAll.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext USB is working excellent.
Is it safe to delete both .kext files or do I need them for anything else?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel Nuc 6i5syk
CPU
intel
Graphics
intel
Mac
iMac
Hello

I have fresh install of Catalina with unibeast and multibeast. All is ok

But i have one problem: