Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

So after a long time away & selling my NUC8, I'm now in possession of a NUC10. Anyone know if the install process is the same and the config.plist for the NUC8 will work? Also which page will I find the latest EFI folder/plist.

Cheers

Jim

So after a long time away & selling my NUC8, I'm now in possession of a NUC10. Anyone know if the install process is the same and the config.plist for the NUC8 will work? Also which page will I find the latest EFI folder/plist.

Cheers

Jim
Also here, lots of posts and dialogue about the NUC10.

I have a question. is possible fix Brightness ?
Snímek obrazovky 2021-07-08 v 16.23.48.png

I have a question. is possible fix Brightness ?View attachment 524108
You can try this application....

Hello guys, I have successfully installed macOS using Leesureone Open Core EFI. Big thank you Lee! :headbang:

Also another big thank you to Rehabman for making this possible! :headbang:

My adventure was that I used one of Lee's EFIs from pg90 and after trying every one including the Clover version, only OpenCore 6.8 version works for me.

I have the NUC8 i7BEH with 1 x 16GB Crucial ram. SATA ssd 1TB from Crucial MX500. Firmware was updated to the latest BE0088.bio and after reading so many threads, I was worried that only older bios like v51 and v71 would work. But luckily OC6.8 works on v88 firmware for me.

I'm just doing simple stuffs on this NUC, mainly surfing web, watch youtubes and also email. Didn't register any UUID and serial number (it's a huge hassle doing that), as I don't use any Airdrop or iMessage, etc The NUC will be always on when I'm using it, so didn't test any sleep or hibernate function as well.

Understand that this belongs to Mojave forum, but since this is a major thread for NUC, I'll post my experience here.

I created Catalina boot disk instead of Mojave. Installed Catalina and then successfully updated to Big Sur afterwards via Apple auto update. Using the OC 6.8 for both and no problems at all. USB-c works well, but I have no TB3 devices to test further.

Some things are not quite working:
1) Using SATA ssd, there's no TRIM enabled. And cannot be enabled with Terminal commands.
2) I connect my UHD TV as a monitor and both Cat and BS only max out at 30Hz refresh rate. No higher.
3) Bluetooth is working and it is always ON. I paired my headphones and it works really well. Just cannot off it.
4) The audio for the TV via HDMI is max and there's no control. The vol bar is grayed out.
5) The wifi is not working, but I understand that. I'm using LAN for this NUC so no problem.
6) Didn't test phone jack as I don't use it for wired earphones purpose.

If anyone has any tips to improve further, I'd like to thank you in advance.

Dual booting with win10 (on NVMe) and win10 has refresh rate of 60Hz. So the hardware is capable of doing better.

Now time to go install some apps for more functionalities. :mrgreen:

Hello guys, I have successfully installed macOS using Leesureone Open Core EFI. Big thank you Lee! :headbang:

Also another big thank you to Rehabman for making this possible! :headbang:

My adventure was that I used one of Lee's EFIs from pg90 and after trying every one including the Clover version, only OpenCore 6.8 version works for me.

I have the NUC8 i7BEH with 1 x 16GB Crucial ram. SATA ssd 1TB from Crucial MX500. Firmware was updated to the latest BE0088.bio and after reading so many threads, I was worried that only older bios like v51 and v71 would work. But luckily OC6.8 works on v88 firmware for me.

I'm just doing simple stuffs on this NUC, mainly surfing web, watch youtubes and also email. Didn't register any UUID and serial number (it's a huge hassle doing that), as I don't use any Airdrop or iMessage, etc The NUC will be always on when I'm using it, so didn't test any sleep or hibernate function as well.

Understand that this belongs to Mojave forum, but since this is a major thread for NUC, I'll post my experience here.

I created Catalina boot disk instead of Mojave. Installed Catalina and then successfully updated to Big Sur afterwards via Apple auto update. Using the OC 6.8 for both and no problems at all. USB-c works well, but I have no TB3 devices to test further.

1) Using SATA ssd, there's no TRIM enabled. And cannot be enabled with Terminal commands.
2) I connect my UHD TV as a monitor and both Cat and BS only max out at 30Hz refresh rate. No higher.
3) Bluetooth is working and it is always ON. I paired my headphones and it works really well. Just cannot off it.
4) The audio for the TV via HDMI is max and there's no control. The vol bar is grayed out.
5) The wifi is not working, but I understand that. I'm using LAN for this NUC so no problem.

If anyone has any tips to improve further, I'd like to thank you in advance.

Dual booting with win10 (on NVMe) and win10 has refresh rate of 60Hz. So the hardware is capable of doing better.

Now time to go install some apps for more functionalities. :mrgreen:
Check the Dortania Install Guide for how to
Might be the best you will get, lots or possible reasons including the TV or cable being used. It’s possible to try and tweak it and I can send you a link later if needed.
Normal, you can disable it in the bios or stop loading the Bluetooth left.
Normal even on regular Macs
It will work but you would need to tweak the itlwm.kext plist to identify your network SSID and password or load Heliport.kext
Should work

Thanks Lee for that super quick reply!

I've searched Dortania Install Guide and it is mind boggling! Hahaha~

After searching a little, someone mentioned it is the NVRAM not working properly.

More searching reveals that APFS has better file handling and thus made TRIM obsolete. Not sure how true.

As for the TV refresh rate, I don't mind probing further since win10 runs at 60Hz no issue at all. Not TV or cable problem definitely.

Thanks a lot for the rest of the info. :thumbup:

Thanks Lee for that super quick reply!

I've searched Dortania Install Guide and it is mind boggling! Hahaha~

After searching a little, someone mentioned it is the NVRAM not working properly.

More searching reveals that APFS has better file handling and thus made TRIM obsolete. Not sure how true.

As for the TV refresh rate, I don't mind probing further since win10 runs at 60Hz no issue at all. Not TV or cable problem definitely.

Thanks a lot for the rest of the info. :thumbup:
Sorry for the delay, I was on my phone earlier, now I have the NUC booted up and can send you some screen shots. Also there is lots more information available on any of your previous questions, you got the short answers for sure.
So there are a lot of posts in this thread dealing with display, either dual monitors, 4K not working and or refresh rates (not as many on refresh rate and most are older posts). The caveat is, and this is true of all things Hackintosh, just because it works in windows doesn't mean it will work in OS X. I suggested a different cable or output source so you can test and see if that makes a difference. It is also possible to update the HDMI version on the box from intel's website (using windows of course) and that may or may not help.
I pipe the display through my receiver and get 60Htz and 4K if available, see attached.

Trim should be enabled by default, there is a delay you can change in the kernel quirks section of the config.plist you shouldn't need too. See the second attachment showing trim enabled, both shots are from the system report available under About This Mac. Hope that helps a little more.
Display 60 htz.png

Trim.png

Hi Lee, thanks for your tips. I'll change the HDMI cable during the weekend to check if it helps with the refresh rate. There's a spare HDMI cable lying around, need to hunt for it. Hahahaha~ My TV doesn't take in TB3 as display interface, so TB3 cable is not an option.

Attached are the mac report as you can see, it reported my TV as 5k, but that is very wrong. TV is 3840x2160. Maybe this is the error that is preventing it from doing 60Hz? Too high resolution? Yours is 1080p so no problem with refreshing 60Hz.
Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 12.31.53 PM.png

I have scaled it down a bit for better visibility. And you can see it is just 30Hz. The display settings doesn't have option for 50Hz/60Hz.

Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 1.03.43 PM.png

Next is the no TRIM issue. I understand TRIM is enabled by default if you are using NVMe ssd (as per your pic), but it is not enabled if it is SATA. I have the same problem with KGP guide to creating a mac pro, NVMe has TRIM and SATA has no TRIM. See attached below.

Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 12.33.07 PM.png

If APFS has better file management than TRIM, then I guess not having it enabled is fine. Thoughts?

I'm keeping win10 on NVME cos' I have many stuffs in there that I use daily, so not swapping out the SATA ssd for macOS anytime soon.

Last edited:
Back