Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Intel HD Graphics 5500 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, final step before I branch off in a seperate Thinkpad Carbon X1 thread.

The Yosemite install took awhile but it worked out great. I have a desktop and it has been running for over an hour now. At this point, the only hiccup is graphic speed. Everything is rendering at a painfully slow rate, I was wondering if anyone had graphics acceleration working and if so, how?

Have you read this thread?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/161591-intel-hd-graphics-5500-need-some-help.html

Reading through it may be more helpful than the content of post #1 here...

I was dumb and using 0x16160004 instead of 0x16160002. Swapped those around and its starting to feel like a Mac, no other modifications were required. I will make an X1 Carbon thread soon to keep track of specific fixes for this machine. Thanks everyone for all the help thus far.

I was dumb and using 0x16160004 instead of 0x16160002. Swapped those around and its starting to feel like a Mac, no other modifications were required. I will make an X1 Carbon thread soon to keep track of specific fixes for this machine. Thanks everyone for all the help thus far.

Congratulation! So your graphics card is working now?
Could you post a screen shot?
BTW, what's your screen resolution?

Yeah no problem.

Just an official "it can be done" post - this is the 3rd Gen Thinkpad Carbon with an i7-5600U processor, I'm typing this post on it now :D.
IMG_1040.jpg

Screenshot:
Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 9.00.12 PM.jpg

So I am currently using my iPad to tether wifi while I wait for a USB Wifi dongle to arrive and I haven't touched anything to do with DDST yet but I've made it a lot further than I thought I would. I really do appreciate all the help you all, it works!!!!

Edit: Its the 1920x1080 display btw.

This is why you should have filled out your profile as requested by the guide...

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

---

The 3200x1800 makes a huge difference.

Yosemite is limited to less than 60Hz at that resolution (maybe use 58/59Hz), you need to patch the IOKit framework, and you need 96MB DMVT (maybe 128MB) plus the framebuffer patches to match.

See the-darkvoid's Dell XPS 9530 guide for more details: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-guides/144351-guide-dell-xps-9530-using-clover-uefi.html

I don't think anyone has attempted UHD on Broadwell, but I see no reason why the solutions employed on Haswell won't apply.

I confirm graphics is working on external 1080p monitor. Gonna take a look at xps 9530 guide, thanks

Edit:
Finaly got it working!!! after patching iokit, got "garbled" screen, but enabling legacy bios fixed it (running at 1600x900, 2048x1152 is also available). thanks to RehabMan and all others! I'll continue to work on this and maybe start separate thread with complete guide.

I confirm graphics is working on external 1080p monitor. Gonna take a look at xps 9530 guide, thanks

Edit:
Finaly got it working!!! after patching iokit, got "garbled" screen, but enabling legacy bios fixed it (running at 1600x900, 2048x1152 is also available). thanks to RehabMan and all others! I'll continue to work on this and maybe start separate thread with complete guide.

Congratulation! So you are using 1600x900 HiDPi mode?

For the IOKit patch part, is it still the same as 10.9.3+?

BTW, can you post screen shots of About this Mac and Display in System Preference?

Congratulation! So you are using 1600x900 HiDPi mode?

For the IOKit patch part, is it still the same as 10.9.3+?

BTW, can you post screen shots of About this Mac and Display in System Preference?

Hi, I was wrong, it's running native 3200x1800 :)

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 20.56.29.png

However, yesterday I was still experiencing some freezing problems. few minutes after start, osx just froze. I tried few other versions of fakesmc as suggested, but it didn't help. Then I changed the DVMT few times, and after last change to 96mb, my dell was bricked. I always checked 2-3 times if the setup_var command is written correctly, so I don't know what happend, it was just bricked.

Today I got brand new xps13 replacement and I decided to do NOT any BIOS modifications, just disabled secure boot and enabled legacy support. And guess what, after patching the AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer (Find 39CF763C and replace it with 39CF773C) it started without any problems! And no freezing issues (got it running a few hours).

Regarding the IOKit patch I used this command
Code:
sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit
		sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 20.56.15.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

If someone is interested, there's my entire EFI folder as attachment. I've got WIFI working with asus usb n10, sound with latest voodoohda, touchscreen is also working. I'll continue to work on other functionality.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,217
Hi,
I have a XPS13, which hardware is almost same to X1 Carbon(Gen 3), following this guide, I had change the stolenMemory to 96MB, but when I try to install OS X, I can't get into Clover, can you share your EFI bootable files?

Hi,
I have a XPS13, which hardware is almost same to X1 Carbon(Gen 3), following this guide, I had change the stolenMemory to 96MB, but when I try to install OS X, I can't get into Clover, can you share your EFI bootable files?

Did you disable secure boot?

Post EFI/Clover folder.

Hi,

I had problems starting clover if I used HFSPlus and disabled VBoxHfs in drivers64uefi. after deleting hfsplus and enabling vboxhfs, clover started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back