Contribute
Register

[Guide] Installing El Capitan on Spectre x360 (Skylake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, thank you very very much @RehabMan for all your help.

Here's what i did:

1. Applied SkylakeLPC patch from your repo and now terminal > kextstat|grep -y applelpc is showing like it is loading.
2. Created the SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh and put it in clover/acpi/patched/ (used beta version due to Skylake)
3. Made a modified battery patch based off your HP-DV6-3165sf. Now my brightness sliders are faster and accurate (I was having issues with that as well).
4. Placed all SSDT-0~5 in clover/acpi/patched/ folder.

See attached my updated ioreg, terminal outputs and clover folder

The laptop still does the same thing when waking up. It actually wakes up perfectly fine, but the laptop display will just flicker on and then go off again and stay off. I was trying to PM you a video link but I don't have enough privileges. Here is a video of the issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4kQvzU_As3TcTZTXzNZb3NBTmc

Also, find attached the text file with the updated patch for the HP Spectre x360 Skylake battery status patch (maybe you want to add it to your arsenal in your repo).

Oh and one last note to those trying to apply the Skylake LPC patch: It will generate 5 errors after the patch due to duplicate _DSM method. The reason is that the patch is not effectively removing the old method in our DSDT and just adding the new one. Easy fix, just delete the old _DSM method and all errors should go away.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 117
  • SpectreX360Batterypatch.txt
    15.9 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Again, thank you very very much @RehabMan for all your help.

Here's what i did:

1. Applied SkylakeLPC patch from your repo and now terminal > kextstat|grep -y applelpc is showing like it is loading.
2. Created the SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh and put it in clover/acpi/patched/ (used beta version due to Skylake)
3. Made a modified battery patch based off your HP-DV6-3165sf. Now my brightness sliders are faster and accurate (I was having issues with that as well).
4. Placed all SSDT-0~5 in clover/acpi/patched/ folder.

See attached my updated ioreg, terminal outputs and clover folder

Your ACPI setup is still incorrect. As is clear in the guide, DropOem=true is required with patched SSDTs in ACPI/patched.

Also, find attached the text file with the updated patch for the HP Spectre x360 Skylake battery status patch (maybe you want to add it to your arsenal in your repo).

I think "HP G6 2221ss" is a match for your DSDT, so no need for an additional patch. Please test and I'll add a comment to the file.

Oh and one last note to those trying to apply the Skylake LPC patch: It will generate 5 errors after the patch due to duplicate _DSM method. The reason is that the patch is not effectively removing the old method in our DSDT and just adding the new one. Easy fix, just delete the old _DSM method and all errors should go away.

As per guide, you should have removed or renamed all _DSM methods prior to applying other patches.

@RehabMan, Alright I redid everything as per the guide (I actually did it all over again from scratch).

Three notes:
1. HP G6 2221ss is not a 100% match for this computer but it works brilliantly so you might want to add a comment to that file.
2. Removing and or renaming the _DSM methods using the patch was resulting in a syntax error on my DSDT so i ended up having to remove all 300+ methods one-by-one by hand (piece of cake). Now patching Skylake LPC works fine.
3. In your Native Power Management guide you said that in order to test PM on El Capitan one should use AppleIntelInfo.kext, but I don't even have a kext named like that in my S/L/E folder and when i type that on terminal as "kextstat|grep -y AppleIntelInfo.kext" nothing comes up. But i downloaded Intel Power Gadget and the frequency fluctuates between 0.5ghz-3.1ghz so my guess is that PM is working. What do you think?

I placed my updated IORegistry, EFI/Clover Folder and Terminal outputs on the attached zip file. Please let me know what else you think I can do to get proper Wake working? for now i'm using the laptop without sleep (I myself am not getting any sleep either tampering with this).

Oh by the way, everything else other than sleep->wake is working flawlessly. OS X is running very very stable and fast.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
@RehabMan, Alright I redid everything as per the guide (I actually did it all over again from scratch).

Three notes:
1. HP G6 2221ss is not a 100% match for this computer but it works brilliantly so you might want to add a comment to that file.

What do you mean by "not a 100% match?"

2. Removing and or renaming the _DSM methods using the patch was resulting in a syntax error on my DSDT so i ended up having to remove all 300+ methods one-by-one by hand (piece of cake). Now patching Skylake LPC works fine.

Use "Rename _DSM methods to XDSM" instead of "Remove _DSM methods".

3. In your Native Power Management guide you said that in order to test PM on El Capitan one should use AppleIntelInfo.kext, but I don't even have a kext named like that in my S/L/E folder

Google can help you find things.

I placed my updated IORegistry, EFI/Clover Folder and Terminal outputs on the attached zip file. Please let me know what else you think I can do to get proper Wake working? for now i'm using the laptop without sleep (I myself am not getting any sleep either tampering with this).

Oh by the way, everything else other than sleep->wake is working flawlessly. OS X is running very very stable and fast.

Not possible to verify the patches you made without ACPI/origin.

Make sure you test sleep without external devices, nor any third party software installed.

Also, what is the specific issue with sleep?

See attached ZIP file, it now includes Origin folder.

Sleep actually works fine except the internal screen. The specific problem is illustrated in the video i sent you on wednesday here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4kQvzU_As3TcTZTXzNZb3NBTmc

It does the same thing wether i have peripherals attached or not.

Attachments

• Archive 3.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 87
  • Archive 3.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 63
@RehabMan Here it is clean and recently collected. Thanks for all your help man. You should run for president.

Did you get a chance to look at the video?

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 101
Good thread... got this machine in the mail an hour ago and I'm already running OS X on it!

I have a quick question though, has anyone been able to unlock the firmware options to disable the nasty MSR register lock?

(Through UEFITool, AMIBCP, etc)

Good thread... got this machine in the mail an hour ago and I'm already running OS X on it!

I have a quick question though, has anyone been able to unlock the firmware options to disable the nasty MSR register lock?

(Through UEFITool, AMIBCP, etc)

Can you go to sleep and wake and the screen turns on after wake?

I messed a little with uefi shell, lots of parameters can be changed thru there, worth looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back