Contribute
Register

[Guide] Installing El Capitan on Spectre x360 (Skylake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't make sense to me either, it now gives the error randomly. It will boot fine, then after a reboot the error will come back. Sometimes after toggling fastboot and legacy boot it works, although this could just be that its due to chance and it might not actually be doing anything. I still haven't figured out what bit of the instructions you linked I haven't followed. Was it deleting all the kext folders apart from others? as I have done that now.

The guide has very specific instructions for EFI/Clover/kexts and links to all the kexts...

The guide has very specific instructions for EFI/Clover/kexts and links to all the kexts...
Also I have the QHD version of this laptop at when setting the resolution to QHD everything is really small. So I went into display settings and the scaling sliding bar that retina macs have doesn't seem to be there. Just a list of resolutions. Do you know any fixes?
Thanks in advance

Also I have the QHD version of this laptop at when setting the resolution to QHD everything is really small. So I went into display settings and the scaling sliding bar that retina macs have doesn't seem to be there. Just a list of resolutions. Do you know any fixes?
Thanks in advance

You probably haven't implemented graphics correctly...

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Probably talking about the fact that the default resolution is native... but everything in relation to the screen size is small. Graphics acceleration for me is working but the status bar and text is smaller than you'd expect to be compared to a smaller resolution display. If you go on a regular Retina display Mac, SystemPrefs->Displays options would give you Small, Default, Larger, and More Space as the options for a display configuration rather than resolutions. I don't believe that is addressed in the thread's guide...

Also guys, firmware is unlockable if you have an Aptio based firmware, all you have to do is use Intel's FPT tools to dump the BIOS region of the firmware and use AMIBCP (which auto unlocks the options for you if you're on a version greater than 4.53) to unlock the hidden options, amongst those including the DVMT preallocated memory for Graphics and the CFG Lock (MSR register).

However, for me I haven't found a way to get the firmware flashed because HP's BIOS utility only flashes signed firmware images and an unlocked one would not be digitally signed. FPT doesn't work for me either because the BIOS region is write protected. But idk if that is the case because the DESC region of my firmware says that the BIOS is not write protected, so maybe another flash tool is needed to get the image flashed. Anyone want to chime in and recommend a flash utility that works on their Spectre x360? Again, thanks for this thread

Last edited:
Probably talking about the fact that the default resolution is native... but everything in relation to the screen size is small. Graphics acceleration for me is working but the status bar and text is smaller than you'd expect to be compared to a smaller resolution display. If you go on a regular Retina display Mac, SystemPrefs->Displays options would give you Small, Default, Larger, and More Space as the options for a display configuration rather than resolutions. I don't believe that is addressed in the thread's guide...

Also guys, firmware is unlockable if you have an Aptio based firmware, all you have to do is use Intel's FPT tools to dump the BIOS region of the firmware and use AMIBCP (which auto unlocks the options for you if you're on a version greater than 4.53) to unlock the hidden options, amongst those including the DVMT preallocated memory for Graphics and the CFG Lock (MSR register).

However, for me I haven't found a way to get the firmware flashed because HP's BIOS utility only flashes signed firmware images and an unlocked one would not be digitally signed. FPT doesn't work for me either because the BIOS region is write protected. But idk if that is the case because the DESC region of my firmware says that the BIOS is not write protected, so maybe another flash tool is needed to get the image flashed. Anyone want to chime in and recommend a flash utility that works on their Spectre x360? Again, thanks for this thread
Yep. Setting resolution through switchresx to 1080p helps alot but then it's not longer displaying QHD obviously.

Yep. Setting resolution through switchresx to 1080p helps alot but then it's not longer displaying QHD obviously.

Correctly implemented QHD will result in having the "retina" style SysPrefs->Displays.

Correctly implemented QHD will result in having the "retina" style SysPrefs->Displays.
OK. I wasn't disagreeing with you btw. Just confirming if you understood me :) I'm waiting for my WiFi card to arrive so that's why I haven't already posted what you asked for. Thanks for all the help !

What would constitute the process of getting "correctly implemented QHD"?

What would constitute the process of getting "correctly implemented QHD"?

QE/CI working with correct ig-platform-id inject, correct DVMT-prealloc setting (eg. no minStolenSize patch). Patched IOKit required.

You probably haven't implemented graphics correctly...

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Kextstat only worked for acpiplat
Zip is attached
I also think that min is disabled, DVMT may be set to more than 96mb (on windows it says it's 128mb but then I read you said windows 10 can be a unreliable source for this. I was just about to set it through uefi shell before I read about some laptops becoming damaged by doing this. And I ran the patch linked from the faq to patch iokit (it was a .command file). However still no dice. Do I need to patch the DVMT in the config.plist?
Thanks

Attachments

• Files.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back