Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina

Motherboard
Asus Z390A Prime
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mobile Phone
Android
Considering how the OpenCore config.plist can load kext based on its dependencies, i.e. ensuring Lilu loads first before other kexts that depends on it, do we need to do so if we are injecting the kext through Clover in EFI/Clover/kext/other? If so, how can we do it?

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@soeryobadja,

Clover has no need of a feature to define the load order of injected kexts as it is not as fussy as OpenCore and will load all primary, satellite and dependency kext's without any problems.

If you have your 3rd party kext's installed in /L/E and want to ensure that Lilu, VirtualSMC .. etc load early enough in the boot process, then you can use the LiluFriend kext but it is not required if you are injecting your kext's via Cover.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
What is the process (for installing kexts) in case of using OpenCore bootloader?
I am wondering the same thing.
When using OC, the developers of that state that they should go in the kexts folder within the OC folder on the EFI partition. Here's the schematic from the OC reference manual. Acidanthera is also the dev team that gives us Lilu, WEG and AppleALC.
Screen Shot 15.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
I am wondering the same thing.
The main item to worry about is that Lilu loads first. All the sample plists provided in Open Core have this set as #1 to load. It is quite easy to inject kexts with OC, just place them in the Kexts folder, and open the config.plist with Propertree and select "OC Snapshot" it will add all the dependencies in the proper order for the kexts in the Kernel Add section. In fact it will do the same for ACPI SSDT adds or removals, Drivers etc... After adding all your drivers, kexts SSDTs etc, use Open Core "Sanity Checker' to check for errors. Open sanitizer checker and set the OC version i.e 0.6.0 and set the system type i.e. Ivy Bridge, Haskell etc.. then drag your config plist to the checker. It will list all the errors as well as green light your correct settings. open the config.plist with proper tree and set it alongside of the Checker to change items as needed then save and your good to go.

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
just place them in the Kexts folder, and open the config.plist with Propertree and select "OC Snapshot" it will add all the dependencies in the proper order for the kexts in the Kernel Add section.
The OC snapshot is a feature that puts all your "ducks in a row" so to speak, with just one click. Great feature to use in the ProperTree app from CorpNewt. Saves the end user a lot of time and grief trying to do that manually.

Motherboard
Asus Vivobook S15 / x510UAR
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
Android
Rather than an old version attached, the always latest version of OpenCore's Reference Manual can be found at:

current for v.0.6.1 as of today 2020-08-25