Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
deleted

Last edited:
FYI - Wifi card for the USFF 7010 - tested on HS and works oob - needs cables etc. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-2-4-5Ghz-Mini-PCI-E-Wireless-WiFi-Card-802-11a-b-g-n-AR9280-AR5BHB92-ST/253745011007?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There are threads that say this wont work oob on Mojave - this is a fix from ****** - will test later
  1. On high sierra (preferably on the latest release), go to System > Library > Extensions > IO80211Familly.kext > contents > Plugins
  2. copy Atheros40xxxxx kext and put it in L/E of Mojave install
  3. fix and rebuild caches : sudo chown -R root:wheel /L/E; sudo chmod -R 755 /L/E; sudo kextcache -i /
  4. reboot
EDIT - See below
Just tried a simpler method and it worked -
  1. On high sierra (preferably on the latest release), go to System > Library > Extensions > IO80211Familly.kext > contents > Plugins
  2. copy Atheros40xxxxx kext to desktop and run Kext Beast and select /Library/Extensions

I just recieved the 2 parts you adviced me. It was super easy to mount, and it's nice to have both antenas go through the square holes ! Thank you :)

Can't seem to find what manipulation I have to do though : I got to the System > Library > Extensions > IO80211Familly.kext > contents > Plugins. I have :

As you can see, I don't have any Atheros kext in there... Maybe because you did this little guide on High Sierra and not on Mojave with the new method ? Anyways, I'm lost as I can't seem to find this kext file even on the internet.

EDIT : only way I found on the internet to get it again was this little application made by someone on InsanelyMac: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/956-airportatheros40kext-installer-for-macos-mojave/
Will tell you if it worked. I'm a bit sceptical about the fact it wants to instal the kext in S/L/E. From what I've understood, we use L/E here. But if it doesn't work I'll copy the file on Desktop, erase the one in S/L/E and launch KextBeast to get it in the proper location.

Last edited:
As you can see, I don't have any Atheros kext in there... Maybe because you did this little guide on High Sierra and not on Mojave with the new method ? Anyways, I'm lost as I can't seem to find this kext file even on the internet.
Here you go.

Attachments

• AirPortAtheros40.kext.zip
    649.8 KB · Views: 55
Step 3. Install High Sierra or Mojave
A. First, disconnect the Sata data cables from any Windows or Linux drives you may have in your Dell.​
B. Put your Unibeast installer into a front USB port. Either a USB 2 or 3 port should work.​
C. Boot UEFI from the Unibeast installer (tap on the F12 key at boot up).
Always boot in Verbose mode during the install. It helps you see the exact place where a kernel panic may occur. If all you see is a progress bar, you'll have no idea. Get to the Boot Manager screen by pressing the spacebar on your keyboard at the Clover Boot Menu screen. Then place a checkmark in the Verbose (-v) box.

The initial boot from your Unibeast drive to the macOS installer is very slow. Be patient and let everything happen in it's own time. Follow the tonymacx86 guide for formatting the hard drive you will be installing on. Use GUID Partition table and Mac OS Extended Journaled as your choices in Disk Utility.

There will be 3 or 4 automatic reboots after you agree to terms and start the install to your hard drive. That is normal for this part of the install process. If you've followed this guide up to this point, you won't even need to touch your keyboard or mouse throughout this install process until you reach the "select country" screen part of the initial setup. After you've created your Admin account you should reach the desktop.

D. Now open up Terminal and copy/paste this text into it and hit enter:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
This allows you to run various apps we'll use later that are not signed by Apple.
While you have Terminal open you can also disable Hibernation and recover some disk space.
Enter the following one line at a time. (Hit the return/enter key after each line)
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

To complete step #3 you should eject your Unibeast installer as you won't need it for steps 4 and 5. In those two steps you'll do everything needed to enable booting directly from your system drive, not Unibeast. Keep your Unibeast installer handy if you ever need it for recovery. When your system won't boot you'll be able to easily boot to the desktop from that.

trs96,

This GUIDE has gotten nothing but BETTER and BETTER. Perhaps a little explanation here on this step.

I got to here....after getting the UNIBEAST HighSierra drive built, booted from, and to the point of installation. It did indeed reboot - but it stopped at the CHOICE of what I wanted to boot from. There were 2 choices this time...the USB and the HDD. I first chose the HDD - and it looked as if it was starting over (this was not mentioned in your guide). I rebooted and chose HDD. It started at 22 minutes remaining - got to about 19 minutes and rebooted again. I again chose the HDD, and it was again at 22 minutes remaining. Then in about 10 seconds, it was 15 minutes remaining. I let it keep going...and when I came back -- OUILA!!! I was at the COUNTRY SELECTION page. YAY!!!!! :clap:

I made it past step 4 - and have stopped at 5. I want to make sure I am doing this correctly. As this is where I get the sound and other things.

I love this new guide. The additions to the UEFI USB of the kexts and .plist were perfect. I have USB 3.0, and my ext HDD came right up.

Still have no sound - but expected that. The internal WIRELESS (the one made for this machine - by DELL) is somewhat seen -- It is in the SYSTEM INFORMATION - but I have no choice for WIRELESS. Will play with this later.

The Blu-Ray I put in the machine shows in System Information as having BD-RW features - so will try that out as well.

:headbang: AGAIN - A MILLION THANKS for the guide and all your input. Looks like I am well on my way to having a fully functioning Hackintosh.

Grizz

A MILLION THANKS for the guide and all your input. Looks like I am well on my way to having a fully functioning Hackintosh.
Good work Grizz. Sounds like you're making progress. The Guide does mention that you should expect 3 or 4 automatic reboots during the install process. I don't go into great detail there. Most people figure it out on their own. There is already too much "hand holding" in this guide already. For audio you must of course install both AppleALC and Lilu kexts to /L/E for it to work. When done you should have 100 % functionality. Let us know how it goes.

Good work Grizz. Sounds like you're making progress. The Guide does mention that you should expect 3 or 4 automatic reboots during the install process. I don't go into great detail there. Most people figure it out on their own. There is already too much "hand holding" in this guide already. For audio you must of course install both AppleALC and Lilu kexts to /L/E for it to work. When done you should have 100 % functionality. Let us know how it goes.

I noticed that I am already being prompted to install UPDATES.

Is it SAFE to do these? Any gotchas?

Grizz

I noticed that I am already being prompted to install UPDATES.

Is it SAFE to do these? Any gotchas?
Grizz
Just hold off on those a little. Complete step 7 first and have everything working normally. Nothing urgent in the updates.

WILL DO....Thanks.

I did have a question about these TERMINAL commands:

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

I got a FOLDER DOES NOT EXIST when I issued the second one....is that to be expected?

Because it looks like the next line creates the same folder which was asked to remove on line 2.

Grizz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back