Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my testing of AppleALC 1.3.5 and the new layout-id of 21 I found that I gained 1 line input and the Headphones entry is always viewable, not just when headphones are plugged in. I lost HDMI Audio when using the integrated HD4000 graphics. I have a DP to HDMI cable. The HDMI Audio did work when trying with my GT 710 graphics card. It looks like the new AppleALC kext brings enough benefits to add that and the new layout-id in the config.plist to the main guide. If anyone has HDMI audio working via the onboard DP output/HD4000 let me know what you find works for that in your testing.

Last edited:
Hi ! Here are my results HWMonitor :

And in Intel Power Gadget :

From what I've understood, this is quite hot, considering I was not doing anything particular. What do you think ? I did change my thermal paste, but for a no-brand gold one that was shipped with my last processor on eBay. Will try to take the one you recommend and will keep you updated.

Last edited:
No, it will not fit as it is full height. You want to get the Low Profile version. Pic is below. It includes a LP bracket in the box.

View attachment 385110
The PSU is rated 240W so it should work. The RX560 gets all it's power from the PCIe x16 slot. Only uses a maximum of 60W of power according to MSI. The PSU in the SFF model is Dell proprietary so you really can't upgrade it. Only the mini-tower version gives you the PSU upgrade option. You can use a standard ATX PSU with that.
There is no seller currently that sells RX560 LP card in my country, Can I use RX460 LP instead? Thanks.

If anyone has HDMI audio working via the onboard DP output/HD4000 let me know what you find works for that in your testing.
@trs96 Did you test both DP sockets?

I just tried the new AppleALC 1.3.5 and Lilu 1.3.3 and installed the new custom config.plist (layout-id 21), edited for Mac 6,1 and my serial numbers, ticked 'Inject Intel'.

I observed the following on my 7010 USFF (A25) with i3-3225 and 10.14.2.
  • HDMI audio not listed as a device when using DP socket closes to LAN port as noted previously when using layout-id 1. HDMI audio working with other DP socket.
  • Two Line-In devices in Sound -> Input. Name does not change when a microphone is inserted.
  • Dedicated Headphone device appears alongside new 'Line-Out' in Sound -> Output. Now I have to manually select the 'Headphone' to be able to use it, whereas with previous config.plist (layout-id 1), inserting headphone automatically renamed the default 'Internal Speakers' (ie. Line-Out) to 'Headphone' and audio would switch automatically from Line-Out/HDMI to headphone.
  • Volume through rear 'Line-Out' socket is too LOW with Volume in 'Sound' preferences Volume control, and external loudspeaker volume turned up to maximum. (I also checked Windows 10 and High Sierra running on my other 7010/9010MT and the volume using same speakers is Very Loud) Update: I upgraded to 10.14.3 and the Line-Out volume issue appears to be fixed.
  • Bug: HDMI audio output device changes to 'Headphones' when PC is rebooted.
When I revert to previous custom config.plist (layout-id 1) and use the new AppleALC 1.3.5 and Lilu 1.3.3, normal loud volume is restored through the Line-Out socket.

Last edited:
On a different note, my system had been nagging me to update to 10.14.3 and I couldn't get rid of the nag message every time I went into System Preferences.

I finally relented and clicked on update. It's been 25 minutes since I rebooted to start the upgrade after completing download. The progress bar below white apple logo not even reaching 20% on my 7010 USFF i3-3225 with SSD. A message then appeared quoting 40 minutes to go....

Update: looks like update suddenly finished in about 35 minutes in total (excluding download), as Dell was sitting at sign-on screen. Everything still seems to be working (eg. USB3, sleep). The issue of very low volume through Line-Out socket also appears to be fixed when using layout-id 21. Still no HDMI audio through DP socket closest to LAN port.

Bug: @trs96 I think I've found a bug. Every time I set the Sound -> Output to HDMI and reboot, it changes to 'Headphones'. If I select 'Line-Out', the setting is preserved when I restart macOS.

I've tried running kextbeast and kext Utility with no improvement.

I've reverted to using Layout-ID 1 as I use HDMI-audio.

Last edited:
There is no seller currently that sells RX560 LP card in my country, Can I use RX460 LP instead? Thanks.
Yes, as long it is not the XFX branded version.

Hi ! Here are my results HWMonitor :

View attachment 385311

And in Intel Power Gadget :

View attachment 385312

From what I've understood, this is quite hot, considering I was not doing anything particular. What do you think ? I did change my thermal paste, but for a no-brand gold one that was shipped with my last processor on eBay. Will try to take the one you recommend and will keep you updated.
40C temps are not a problem. It is better if they are lower but not a big problem. How warm is it where you are ? I'm in a cold climate but the room it is in stays close to 70F. (in Celsius that is 21.1C)

It could be related to the thermal paste or how the heatsink is seated. If you used too much or too little thermal paste that can affect temps. What I do is use the edge of a clean, plastic rebate card from Newegg. (never use your fingers) I've seen Youtube videos where some people do that. :eek: I then smooth out a thin even layer of TP completely over the IHS. You shouldn't be able to see through it to the surface (metal cover of the CPU). If you can still see the IHS then you didn't use enough.

I then put the heatsink and fan in place then turn the heatsink screws (in a cross pattern) in until they stop turning. Then you know it's seated properly. There is no guessing with these as to how far to screw in the heatsink screws. Each screw should receive about the same number of turns till it stops. If the TP oozes out the sides when the cooler is applied, you've used too much. That will negatively affect temps.

Do you have the USFF form factor or one of the larger Dells ? My SFF with i7-3770 stays between 28-32C with just normal use of it for viewing this forum and typing responses. If doing nothing at all it stays around 26C or slightly higher.

Last edited:
I think I've found a bug. Every time I set the Sound -> Output to HDMI and reboot, it changes to 'Headphones'. If I select 'Line-Out', it does remember the setting.
It would be useful to report this to Goldfish64 on Github. He made all the edits for ALC269 for the Dell Optiplex 7010.

Tnx for suggestion. I've logged into Github using account I created years ago and reported the bug.

github bug report

Last edited:
Tnx for suggestion. I've logged into Github using account I created years ago, and trying to work out how to raise an issue/report bug. Seems like 'Issues' (bug reporting) tab is disabled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back