Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I've noticed is that the time in my BIOS keeps setting itself 4 hours ahead. macOS keeps the time correctly but whenever I boot into Windows it takes the time from the BIOS. I thought it might be a timezone thing but the BIOS doesn't seem to have timezone setting.

That's a good point to remember. When the BIOS gets reset for whatever reason, you'll need to also reset the clock in the BIOS settings to the accurate local time.

The way that Windows and macOS work are quite different as Macs don't have a PC BIOS. Search for some threads on this site about how to sync the time when you are booting both OSs. Edit: @P1LGRIM already provided the link. :thumbup:

Thanks man. Successfully installed macOS Mojave on my Dell Optiplex 7010 (i7-3770s, 16gb RAM, no ext. GPU) by following your guide. Everything that I need works fine (USB3, Sound, Ethernet, Sleep), didn't encounter any problems so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-07 at 18.13.57.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-07 at 18.13.57.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Looks to be in order. The CMOS battery failure is only part of the problem. I've verified that both of mine were dead on arrival by multimeter testing. One only registered at .09V when normal is 3.0V or higher. So I'll keep looking for a cause of the mysterious black screen on boot issue with these Dell desktops. I've never seen it on any other PCs. Let us know if you come up with a solution.
Ha! Ok so I just restarted the computer so I could boot into Windows and I get the same issue, no boot. As I pulled out the tower to start the CMOS battery dance, I notice that the ethernet port on the back is blinking like crazy... unplugging it caused the computer to turn off and then it booted normally.

Can you connect a Win10 drive up to this 7010 and see if anything similar happens in Windows ? I can't see anything wrong that would cause your graphics issues. Running Win10 for a while will tell you whether it's a hardware issue or not.

From what you've described it doesn't sound like a ram issue but, you could also try running macOS on just one DIMM of ram at a time and see if that makes any difference. I've never seen Intel integrated graphics cause this type of problem but I guess that anything is possible. Keep troubleshooting different things till you find the answer.
I tried booting with just one DIMM at a time (trying each individual one,) and had no change in behavior.

I did create a Windows 10 install USB drive and put in a spare drive to test it last night. After installing and updating the OS and drivers, I had no issues - there were no apparent issues with window transparency and there was no tearing while moving windows, and I did run a game briefly to test. This matches the behavior in the Fedora install I have on this computer.

The only thing I have done that has been able to fix this in any way is with the addition or removal of the SSDT file when the issue occurs - but this is only temporary, requiring me to do the opposite of what I had done previously. I am not familiar in any way with how Clover works to be able hypothesize why this causes it to work only temporarily, or what changes to make it stop working.

The only thing I have done that has been able to fix this in any way is with the addition or removal of the SSDT file when the issue occurs - but this is only temporary

Do you mean the i7-3770 SSDT for cpu power mgt. ? One other thing you could try is removing that from the patched folder permanently and see if an iMac 14,2 system def. makes a difference.

Ha! Ok so I just restarted the computer so I could boot into Windows and I get the same issue, no boot. As I pulled out the tower to start the CMOS battery dance, I notice that the ethernet port on the back is blinking like crazy... unplugging it caused the computer to turn off and then it booted normally.
Interesting. Try using it for a while with no ethernet connection and use each OS for a while. You may be on to something.

I get how a bad CMOS battery can cause the BIOS to not post but with a known good battery, ...
The UEFI boot process - I read about it - don't know if I understood any of it.

Does the option to dual boot cause problems with UEFI and EFI boots? - My (weak) understanding is that the option to dual boot should not be made in the bios but in clover, that there should be only one clover install on a machine and it should always be the first thing to boot. What goes wrong if this is not the case is very unclear to me but I suspect that system information which is written to the hard drives and used to configure memory areas used by the system is being mixed between the two boot options.

EDIT: Just had a little read round some things that seem to relate - and think these problems may to relate to NVRAM.

We have real NVRAM on these machines so dont need NVRAM emulation which would conflict. The UEFI boot process will write to NVRAM so having two EFI partitions, opens up the possibility of having two sets of data - one on each EFI partition, which may not be the same and both may read from and write to NVRAM.
See- https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

The other thing that might be worth investigating is AptioMemoryFix which relates to AMI bioses (Do we have one of them?). It seems to have two methods of being installed, one of which is installed by default if TonyMac versions of Clover are used (and not installed if default clover configurator upgrade options are used).

Sorry if this post is unclear or misdirecting - it reflects a lack of background knowledge which makes most of what Im reading fuzzy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back