Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a Dell U2415, with a resolution of 1920x1200. I'm connecting this computer from one of the DisplayPort outputs into the DisplayPort connection on the monitor.
That's what you want to use. When you look at About this Mac under the Apple menu, what does it say after graphics ? It should be: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

That's what you want to use. When you look at About this Mac under the Apple menu, what does it say after graphics ? It should be: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
That's exactly what it comes up with:
Untitled.png

That's exactly what it comes up with:
View attachment 355880
Can you connect a Win10 drive up to this 7010 and see if anything similar happens in Windows ? I can't see anything wrong that would cause your graphics issues. Running Win10 for a while will tell you whether it's a hardware issue or not.

From what you've described it doesn't sound like a ram issue but, you could also try running macOS on just one DIMM of ram at a time and see if that makes any difference. I've never seen Intel integrated graphics cause this type of problem but I guess that anything is possible. Keep troubleshooting different things till you find the answer.

Last edited:
Legacy Option ROMs
A discovery made by accident

I was experiencing very long boot times, over a minute, sometimes two, when normal is about 14 seconds to boot to the desktop. Eventually my Dell 7010 stopped booting at all. Just a black screen and no BIOS either. :think: Hmmm, it can't be the CMOS battery again as I just replaced it a few weeks ago. :geek: I did have to remove the battery for a minute to reset the BIOS. The battery was still good so I kept it. I then went into the BIOS and found that there were two legacy MacOSX drive entries first and second in the boot order. The EFI SSD Crucial MX200 was last in the boot order. Somehow I must have enabled Legacy Option ROMs when testing something and forgot to set it back to disabled. I'm using HD4000 graphics and booting UEFI so it's best to leave Legacy ORs disabled for the fastest boot times. So after resetting everything in the BIOS to what I wanted, boot times were back to normal. I then re-patched my DSDT due to the changed BIOS settings. Everything works smoothly again. So, if you get a black screen at boot and F2 doesn't get you into the BIOS you'll likely need to pull the CMOS battery to restore factory defaults, of which Legacy booting is the main setting. Then you can boot into and correct your BIOS. Moral of the story... only enable LORs if you have an older non-UEFI capable graphics card as your primary graphics.

View attachment 353048
Advanced Boot Options > LORs set to disabled

View attachment 353047

Here's my UEFI boot drive entry now: Crucial MX200 is first in line. You can also disable Onboard NIC (IPV4) if you will never use that to boot your system remotely.

I'm experiencing an issue that seems similar to this but the solution in this post didn't solve it.

Twice since I replaced the CMOS battery, I had the computer simply not POST. Blank screen with no BIOS and it would just sit there. Popping out the battery to reset the BIOS fixed the issue. This happened with Legacy Boot Option off.

I'm beginning to wonder if something else is going on. I know you have mentioned how its strange that the CMOS batteries for so many systems are going bad but maybe that's not even the root cause of the issue? Idk its all a bit strange.

Twice since I replaced the CMOS battery, I had the computer simply not POST. Blank screen with no BIOS and it would just sit there. Popping out the battery to reset the BIOS fixed the issue. This happened with Legacy Boot Option off.
Post a screenshot of how your Boot Sequence section of your BIOS looks now that it's set back to UEFI booting.

Attached - The SSD is the macOS drive and the Hitachi is a windows 10 drive
Looks to be in order. The CMOS battery failure is only part of the problem. I've verified that both of mine were dead on arrival by multimeter testing. One only registered at .09V when normal is 3.0V or higher. So I'll keep looking for a cause of the mysterious black screen on boot issue with these Dell desktops. I've never seen it on any other PCs. Let us know if you come up with a solution.

Another thing I've noticed is that the time in my BIOS keeps setting itself 4 hours ahead. macOS keeps the time correctly but whenever I boot into Windows it takes the time from the BIOS. I thought it might be a timezone thing but the BIOS doesn't seem to have timezone setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back