Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI - Wifi card for the USFF 7010 - tested on HS and works oob - needs cables etc. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-2-4-5Ghz-Mini-PCI-E-Wireless-WiFi-Card-802-11a-b-g-n-AR9280-AR5BHB92-ST/253745011007?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There are threads that say this wont work oob on Mojave - this is a fix from ****** - will test later
  1. On high sierra (preferably on the latest release), go to System > Library > Extensions > IO80211Familly.kext > contents > Plugins
  2. copy Atheros40xxxxx kext and put it in L/E of Mojave install
  3. fix and rebuild caches : sudo chown -R root:wheel /L/E; sudo chmod -R 755 /L/E; sudo kextcache -i /
  4. reboot
EDIT - See below
Just tried a simpler method and it worked - File attached, if attached files is used, you just need to 2. below
  1. On high sierra (preferably on the latest release, the file is not there in Mojave!), go to System > Library > Extensions > IO80211Familly.kext right click on file and select > contents > Plugins
  2. copy Atheros40xxxxx kext to desktop and run Kext Beast and select /Library/Extensions

Attachments

• AirPortAtheros40.kext.zip
    652.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
FYI - Wifi card for the USFF 7010 - tested on HS and works oob - needs cables etc. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-2-4-5Ghz-Mini-PCI-E-Wireless-WiFi-Card-802-11a-b-g-n-AR9280-AR5BHB92-ST/253745011007?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There are threads that say this wont work oob on Mojave - this is a fix from ****** - will test later
  1. On high sierra (preferably on the latest release), go to System > Library > Extensions > IO80211Familly.kext > contents > Plugins
  2. copy Atheros40xxxxx kext and put it in L/E of Mojave install
  3. fix and rebuild caches : sudo chown -R root:wheel /L*/E*; sudo chmod -R 755 /L*/E*; sudo kextcache -i /
  4. reboot
I'm using the same AR9280 in my 7010 USFF. Haven't tried Mojave but may do that later this year or in 2019. Good to have this info about the kext to use.

I'm having an issue where two of my USB 2.0 ports are not working. Its the two next to the USB 3 ports. All the other ones work.
Any ideas?

Please enter your hardware components in your Personal Details section of your account as per the Rules: Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you. They are only for listing components and details of your primary system you are seeking assistance for.
Desktop profile field recommendations:
  • Motherboard: limited to manufacturer, model, UEFI/BIOS version and boot loader. For Pre-built computers simply state the PC make model and form factor i.e. HP 8300 SFF - Dell 7010 MT etc.
  • CPU: limited to model number and clock speed if over-clocked, i.e. i7-8700 or i7-8700K OC 4.5 GHz.
  • Graphics: limited to model, i.e. GTX 1070, R9 570, HD 4000, HD 630 or GTX 1060 / HD 630.

Just upgraded to Mojave on the 7010 USFF with i3 3225 using the latest build (the forums seem to think it is almost GM) using the install script here https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts to download and create the install dmg. Mounted and ran Install - not a single hiccup in install - still testing functionality but the AR9280 wifi seemed to work but actually didnt even after installing the HS driver as above and although first impressions are that the hardware seemed ok overall, after testing for a couple of hours Ive found a couple of problems - wont shut down (likely related to System prerences app which wouldnt force quit).

Despite first impressions I'd worry if this was a machine that I had to rely on.

Edit: Concerns added
Edit: see below
The AR9280 works - see my post about 5 further back. Now running Mojave on 2 real use machines - HP8300 GT710, Dell 7010 HD 4000 - Both only used for MS office and VS Code and all seems well.
Used a SSDT created as per this thread which caused the CPU to run at only 800 and only 800Mhz - except after recovering from sleep when it ran at 3 and only 3Ghz till I turned it off. Removing the SSDT brought speedstep behaviour - but probably not all the steps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-09-21 at 11.39.50.png
    Screenshot 2018-09-21 at 11.39.50.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Please enter your hardware components in your Personal Details section of your account as per the Rules: Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you. They are only for listing components and details of your primary system you are seeking assistance for.
Desktop profile field recommendations:
  • Motherboard: limited to manufacturer, model, UEFI/BIOS version and boot loader. For Pre-built computers simply state the PC make model and form factor i.e. HP 8300 SFF - Dell 7010 MT etc.
  • CPU: limited to model number and clock speed if over-clocked, i.e. i7-8700 or i7-8700K OC 4.5 GHz.
  • Graphics: limited to model, i.e. GTX 1070, R9 570, HD 4000, HD 630 or GTX 1060 / HD 630.
Done.

Despite first impressions I'd worry if this was a machine that I had to rely on.
This is why I always heed Stork's advice: "Don't upgrade till macOS xx reaches the .3 version of the OS updates."
Testing it ahead of time is fine but keep your HS install till the .3 or later update comes out.

Which USB ports, front or back ? Do they show up at all in System info if you plug something in to them ?
The USB 2.0 ports on the back that are next to the USB 3.0 ports.

In system info, there are two USB 2.0 Bus entries and one USB 3.0. The first USB 2.0 bus never shows anything plugged into it (I'm assuming that's the internal one) and nothing that is plugged into the non-functional ports shows up.

The USB 2.0 ports on the back that are next to the USB 3.0 ports.

In system info, there are two USB 2.0 Bus entries and one USB 3.0. The first USB 2.0 bus never shows anything plugged into it (I'm assuming that's the internal one) and nothing that is plugged into the non-functional ports shows up.
Try adding these DSDT patches via Clover Configurator and see if it changes anything.

Screen Shot 14.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back