Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Hi everyone, please let me know if this isn't the spot to ask these questions.

I have a 8300 elite i7 3770 with a nvidia 1050ti running HS. I originally set it up following pastychefs guide ages ago using Sierra. Initially everything worked perfectly, however recently, perhaps after a sierra update, I started to get a random black screen issue. It doesn't happen at boot, it just happens randomly when I am surfing the web or doing other normal tasks. The screen will go black for between 1 and 10 seconds and then come back on. It can happen once and then nothing for ages or may happen a number of times one after the other. If music is playing that will continue through the black screen.

I have since upgraded to HS in an effort to use newer web drivers hoping that may fix but I have the same issue. I have read and followed a bunch of other threads but haven't found any that completely match my issue (most I have seen are boot related. I have windows on a separate drive and it doesn't seem to happen in win10 so I'm thinking its some hack related issue. This is my first hackintosh so a bit of a newbie. After all the fixes I have tried I think my config and EFI folder must look like a dogs breakfast!

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

Can I use this guide to fresh install HS (since i'm limited with web drivers)?

I have seen a number of others on here post their EFI folders, can I try a wholesale EFI folder change? I assume this would cause problems with serial numbers etc.

Attached is my EFI if anyone cares to have a look. I most recently moved kexts to the others folders and started injecting with clover but that hasn't changed anything... any ideas?
You may also want to consider changing your graphics card (e.g. to RX560) and then moving up to Catalina, which is supported and works well (I understand - currently still on Mojave here).

I think the following thread will give you a better answer.
Thanks for the link, I found this thread just after posting. I'll give it a go this weekend

You may also want to consider changing your graphics card (e.g. to RX560) and then moving up to Catalina, which is supported and works well (I understand - currently still on Mojave here).
I have seen the posts about the yeston AMD cards, I may go down that route. I'd like to get this config up and running first to make sure its not hardware first. HS is fine for me at the moment. I'm planning a z390 based hackintosh that will be catalina based, need to learn more first though!

Hey everyone, I've successfully been running Catalina for about a month now and everything has been working smoothly. However, today I decided to run geek bench 5 and my scores seem ridiculously low compared to what I've seen other people get with this same cpu. Would anyone know what the issue is? I've read online and have seen that people normally change BIOS settings and their geek bench scores goes up a lot. I'm just worried I'm not getting the most horsepower out of my computer as I should be. Heres a link to my scores online. Thanks!

I'm just worried I'm not getting the most horsepower out of my computer as I should be.
No need to worry about the numbers. Those are average for GB5 scores for your CPU. Run GB4 and get bigger numbers if you need convincing those are normal.

InSpectre
Here's something that people with the 6300/8300 can do if they've updated to BIOS 3.06, 3.07 or 3.08. When you are in Windows (for gaming most likely) you can temporarily disable the spectre and meltdown patches inlcuded in those updates. That way you'll get the best CPU performance possible. It may not be noticeable much but it can't hurt to do this.

Easily examine and understand any Windows
system's hardware and software capability to
prevent Meltdown and Spectre attacks.

Remember to turn them back on after you are done with gaming/editing or anything else that is CPU intensive.

Last edited:
No need to worry about the numbers. Those are average for GB5 scores for your CPU. Run GB4 and get bigger numbers if you need convincing those are normal.
Ah that makes more sense. Just ran geek bench 4 and the scores are a lot closer to what I've seen. I didn't know that geek bench 5 changed the rating system. Thanks for the help and for your awesome work in this forum!

New Graphics Card installed GT730 via miniPCi-Express
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 09.29.00.png

So this has been a helpful guide, and I have my HP 8300 up and running. However, the fans run all the time and it is a tad loud. Thinking that it must be due to a lack of throttling /CPU states, I ran ssdtPRGen and copied the .aml file in to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched. This causes it to be unable to boot. Sometimes it will reboot itself once, usually it hangs with: ioconsoleusers: gioscreenlockstate 3... displayed when booting. Removing the ssdt.aml file from the EFI partition allows me to boot fine.

I thought the ssdt.aml just described power states and capabilities of the CPU (an i5-3740 in this case), so not sure why it would interact with the graphics card. From everything I've read the message it hangs on relates to problems with graphics. That is an RX 560, and works fine without the .aml file added to EFI.

Any ideas on what the aml file could be messing up?

Last edited:
So this has been a helpful guide, and I have my HP 8300 up and running. However, the fans run all the time and it is a tad loud. Thinking that it must be due to a lack of throttling /CPU states, I ran ssdtPRGen and copied the .aml file in to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched. This causes it to be unable to boot. Sometimes it will reboot itself once, usually it hangs with: ioconsoleusers: gioscreenlockstate 3... displayed when booting. Removing the ssdt.aml file from the EFI partition allows me to boot fine.

I thought the ssdt.aml just described power states and capabilities of the CPU (an i5-3740 in this case), so not sure why it would interact with the graphics card. From everything I've read the message it hangs on relates to problems with graphics. That is an RX 560, and works fine without the .aml file added to EFI.

Any ideas on what the aml file could be messing up?

Could you post your SSDT and describe your system properly? 8300 w/ i5-3470 + RX560 + SMBIOS definition?

Back