Contribute
Register

[Guide] High Sierra on HP Spectre x360 8th Gen Coffee Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I am embarrassed to say the following code in my plist was , in fact, not disabled:

Code:
<key>Comment</key>
  <string>0x19160000/etc, 32MB BIOS, 19MB framebuffer 9MB cursor bytes (credit RehabMan)</string>)
  <key>Enabled</key>

Beyond the fact my hex was different I was also viewing it in the top section of PlistEdit Pro and saw the word Disabled and because this was my first time working with this software, and plists in general, did not notice it was set to No. I just saw Disabled and went with it. I have set it to Yes and all works well.

Now I am at the point I am trying to get my sound device recognized. I did as the original post suggests and went with AppleHDA Patcher. I created my aDummyHDA.kext and installed to SLE, installed CodecCommander.kext to LE, added the 2 KextsToPatch entries that were given to me in the AppleHDA Patcher generated plist to my plist, and changed the following to 3 as suggested by the OP (although the generated plist suggests 2):

Code:
<dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>2</string>
        </dict>

However, I do not see my device in System Preferences/Sound.

I'm reading your comments and it looks like you went with AppleALC. Was that your ultimate solution? Anything I should look out for if I use AppleALC?
should be:

Code:
<key>Comment</key>
  <string>0x19160000/etc, 32MB BIOS, 19MB framebuffer 9MB cursor bytes (credit RehabMan)</string>)
  <key>disabled</key>
<false/>

I prefer working with a text editor for config.plist, though I think some will say Xcode is the way to go. Glad you're making progress, though.

I did find AppleALC to be a bit of a better bet for my own uses, though I'll say that I run into two things with the sound somewhat commonly: One, the mic doesn't work on the headphone jack (I ended up buying an external Sound Blaster DAC, which outputs at a better quality than the headphone jack on the device itself, to get around this), and two, the speakers have a tendency, particularly after being put to sleep, of sounding very crackly when being used. (I think this is a side effect of the unusual four-speaker setup on the laptop.) This often requires a reboot, and sometimes a cache clear, to fix.

This has been the case for both AppleALC and patching AppleHDA. I tried both and found AppleALC a more stable solution, though YMMV.

In terms of the injection you mention above, make sure you take a look at the list of supported codecs: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs

The x360 uses a Realtek ALC295, which offers three potential "layouts" that can be changed in the section of config.plist you mention: 3, 13, and 28. Try all three and see what works better for you.

Thank you for the quick reply and words of encouragement. I'll give AppleALC a go. You just gave me an idea though. I ordered a dock that has audio the other day. I plan to use this mostly when docked. Perhaps the external audio will work better.

should be:

Code:
<key>Comment</key>
  <key>disabled</key>
<false/>
Thank you for the clarification. Unfortunately, the OP has it differently. Hopefully the user will edit it at some point.

I prefer working with a text editor for config.plist, though I think some will say Xcode is the way to go. Glad you're making progress, though.

I did find AppleALC to be a bit of a better bet for my own uses, though I'll say that I run into two things with the sound somewhat commonly: One, the mic doesn't work on the headphone jack (I ended up buying an external Sound Blaster DAC, which outputs at a better quality than the headphone jack on the device itself, to get around this), and two, the speakers have a tendency, particularly after being put to sleep, of sounding very crackly when being used. (I think this is a side effect of the unusual four-speaker setup on the laptop.) This often requires a reboot, and sometimes a cache clear, to fix.

This has been the case for both AppleALC and patching AppleHDA. I tried both and found AppleALC a more stable solution, though YMMV.

In terms of the injection you mention above, make sure you take a look at the list of supported codecs: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs

The x360 uses a Realtek ALC295, which offers three potential "layouts" that can be changed in the section of config.plist you mention: 3, 13, and 28. Try all three and see what works better for you.

I added AppleALC.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and tried setting inject to 3,13,28, and a couple others but nothing. There is no sound device in System Properties/Sound.

I added AppleALC.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and tried setting inject to 3,13,28, and a couple others but nothing. There is no sound device in System Properties/Sound.

Add it to the /Libraries/Extensions/ on your macOS install, rather than EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on your boot partition. As a general rule (with some rare exceptions), kexts should go into that folder if they're not necessary for boot.

Also, make sure you also install Lilu, which is a dependency of AppleALC.

KextBeast might come in handy if you're not using it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-1.310/

Add it to the /Libraries/Extensions/ on your macOS install, rather than EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on your boot partition. As a general rule (with some rare exceptions), kexts should go into that folder if they're not necessary for boot.

Also, make sure you also install Lilu, which is a dependency of AppleALC.

KextBeast might come in handy if you're not using it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-1.310/

I was planning on moving it after testing because I read that EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other is guranteed to load before AppleHDA does. I'll move it and try again.

Happy to report I figured it out. I was using the latest AppleALC (1.3.0) which just doesn't seem to work. Downgraded to 1.2.8 and sound is working.

Happy to report I figured it out. I was using the latest AppleALC (1.3.0) which just doesn't seem to work. Downgraded to 1.2.8 and sound is working.

Excellent news. Per the release page, 1.3.0 appears to only work on Mojave, which might be why you ran into issues.

Let me know how the rest of the process goes!

Excellent news. Per the release page, 1.3.0 appears to only work on Mojave, which might be why you ran into issues.

Let me know how the rest of the process goes!

OK so I have the backlight working via the slider in System Preferences/Display. I can't seem to get the buttons mapped. I followed this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/ but am not getting results in Console for either PS2 or ACPI methods.

OK so I have the backlight working via the slider in System Preferences/Display. I can't seem to get the buttons mapped. I followed this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/ but am not getting results in Console for either PS2 or ACPI methods.

Did you change the DSDT settings as recommended by this guide? I believe those are the ones that worked for me.

The backlight was where I ran into some headaches on my end, in part due to some plist confusion on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back